dB readings

sinbad

Advanced Member
Im thinking of doing Donny shortly. I have the option to do an unsilenced day or silenced (98dB) day.

Im currently running DC manifold, GruppeM and Apexi N1 cat back.
will i pass for the silenced day?
what kind of dB's will i be getting?

I dont wnat to pay all that money to then be booted off for being too loud1

Cheers,
Chris

sinbad

Advanced Member
lol i may be able to get hold of one, but i dont know under what conditions the test needs to be done.

If i can get some kind of figure of what other people have got or whether theyve had problems at donnington with similar mods to mine then that would be usefull.

Suped

Advanced Member
IIRC hold the mic about a meter away to get the correct measurement. Also need to hold the throttle at 6k, not sure how as the limiter is 5k on standard ecu. I've been meaning to get one as I will be in the same position. Didn't want to splash on a track day and get black flagged after the first corner.

I'm sure the Apexi N1 is pretty loud as it stands, put a DC sports Mani on and it'll be twice as loud.

I run a DC sports mani and exhuast, 2 words, "BLOODY LOUD" at 5k+rpm. Anything below is a nice low burble.

sinbad

Advanced Member
Donny is a drive by test of 98dB's im hoping i can pass that. Ive asked around for a dB meter, but has anyone else tested there car or been on donny with similar mods?

Cheers Suped :wink:

celox performance

Advanced Member
It's always going to be a gamble when using a drive by reading of 98db.

I know of people who've been tested at 100db from one event organiser during a drive by and 103db by another event organiser. There are so many factors that can push up the noise but on the positive side a drive by isn't being measured at less than a metre from the exhaust like a static test. Their way of measuring the readings are never consistent anyway and I had a problem a couple of years ago at Elvington where I was just 0.3 db over and got thrown off the track without a refund :evil:

The meter accuracy is +/- 2db so if you did show on their meter as being over the permitted sound level then you could get thrown off due to their meter inaccuracy :?

I know with the BC mani and Spec III exhaust mine was pushing over 124db :shock: so needless to say it had to come off.

sinbad

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
sinbad said:
tron2k3 said:
Thanks for that, its not looking good is it. May have to put a bung in and lose alot of power. :cry:
If you did put a bung in then you're correct, you would lose a lot of power. The bung on the BC spec III lost me around 25-30bhp.
what am i best off doing then? My kpro is mapped to the my mods, will putting a bung in affect the running of my car? as in, will the AF still be safe?

i may be best going for the unsilenced day. :lol:

lockwood77

Advanced Member
If the original backbox fits, you'll be fine running that. It doesn't fit the Toda mid-pipe though... :?

sinbad

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
If the original backbox fits, you'll be fine running that. It doesn't fit the Toda mid-pipe though... :?

If i had the OEM back box, id fit that but i dont :roll: :lol:

Think its going to be the unslienced day then..

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Even with a bung it may still be too loud.

i think you would be best going for the unsilenced day to avoid disappointment.

sinbad

Advanced Member
tron2k3 said:
Even with a bung it may still be too loud.

i think you would be best going for the unsilenced day to avoid disappointment.
Cheers i think i'll do that then.