DC 5 VS DC 2 WITH OHLINS COILOVERS

typertillidie

NEW MEMBER GUYS READING MANY POSTS I SEE THAT THE DC2 IS BETTER HANDLING ASSUME ANYHOW BUT WITHOHLINS COILOVERS WOULD IT BE BETTER THE DC5 THEY WORKED GREAT ON MY PULSAR GTIR AND SIERRA RS COSWORTH PLEASE GIVE UR VIEWS DC5 COMING SOON THX :lol: :lol:

matt b

Advanced Member
typertillidie said:
NEW MEMBER GUYS READING MANY POSTS I SEE THAT THE DC2 IS BETTER HANDLING ASSUME ANYHOW BUT WITHOHLINS COILOVERS WOULD IT BE BETTER THE DC5 THEY WORKED GREAT ON MY PULSAR GTIR AND SIERRA RS COSWORTH PLEASE GIVE UR VIEWS DC5 COMING SOON THX :lol: :lol:
"handling" is a very subjective word. As for "feel" in std from yes the DC2 is better IMHO but as for cornering speed and outright grip in std form I would say the DC5 may be a shade better but thats just my own thoughts :p

mikegsi

Staff member
:?:

sorry mate and please dont be offended, but could you translate that from mancunian to english.... i get the general gist of it but i may have misread it :wink:

dan the man

Advanced Member
mat b hit the nail on the head.

the dc2 has more forgiveness and feel overall, and its rawer and focused like a bitch. but dc5 is quicker and grippier around a track..still an awsome handling car..its just the dc2 was so good when it came out the dc5 had a hell of a lot to live up to...and people were expecting the same but it came more refined. none the worse for it tho..u will love it.

dan

typertillidie

thx guys hard work getting all this knowledge but i have to be sure and as 4 the manc way well what can i say we have are own language lols :lol: :lol:

T666YPR

;,..:!""':.,,,

Feel free to use 'em anyway you like,you'll find they help :wink:

(Only joking typertillidie :D )

T666YPR

I'm sure I've seen "Ohlins" in someones signature,can't remember who though :oops:

It's not you is it Franz?

I know you had Teins,but noticed a different set-up in you're gallery info (before Andre deleted it :wink: )

Evs

Advanced Member
Jor-El has Ohlins in his sig. Probably a :oops: for me too tbh!

At the risk of boring people with my 'Buddy Club lower arm' soapbox, a set of good coilovers and removing rubber from the front suspension will move the DC5 closer to / to the same level as / ahead of :shock: (you choose which) the DC2 in terms of road feel. And the DC5 had more grip in the first place... :wink:

What that won't give you is the 'organic' feel of the DC2, the feeling that it's moving around on the road, like it's on tiptoes, which I think comes from smaller wheels and nicely judged rubberiness in the suspension. 16" wheels and losing some weight might help in this respect - I think jonster might have a view on this? [edit] Whether this appeals is a personal thing - not everyone's bag [/edit]

jonster

Advanced Member
I've been trying to make my DC5 feel more DC2 on the suspension front for some time now. I found the Spoon Progressives + 16" wheels + Goodyear F1 / Proxes + Weight reduction has got me where I want to be. Supple ride, good grip the bites down when I want it too. I'm even loving running my 15" Team Dynamic (rare as rocking horse sh*t) Pro Race 1's with half-slicks on the road at the moment.

I've not had coil-overs to compare with so I don't know if I'm missing out on something, but having said that I've never found any problems on the track with my setup. Even with super grippy half-slicks everything feels right.

Jon

Evs

Advanced Member
I think Jon's probably got the compromise about right tbh. Mine does feel pretty harsh on broken surfaces. I had a headache on Sat anyway, and on the way to Kent, on some of the bad bits of the M4 and M25, I was thinking 'noooooo! :? '. But on the way back on Sunday evening, p***ing with rain (after a long day but no headache) it just felt so connected to the road, I was thinking 'yeaaahhh! :p '

You pays your money... :wink:

jonster

Advanced Member
I don't mind low profile tyres and larger wheels if it wasn't for such bad roads in the UK. I found that you can be taking a fast corner over a rough road and the car will feel like it's 'skittering' (if there is such a word) over the surface. With the smaller wheel you get more tyre wall height which helps make the ride more supple and absorb the bad surfaces. Combine this with a soft compound tyre and progressives gives a nice ride. The smaller wheel is lighter too and you get an acceleration, braking and cornering performance gain.

The only 15's I'm aware of that fit over the DC5's front Brembo's are the Team Dynamic Pro Race 1's. I had some on order for over a year before they arrived. TD were not very interested in good service at all with these low volume wheels.

Jon

Jor-El

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
I'm sure I've seen "Ohlins" in someones signature,can't remember who though :oops:

It's not you is it Franz?

I know you had Teins,but noticed a different set-up in you're gallery info (before Andre deleted it :wink: )

Yeah, It's me with the Ohlins

ps2london

Advanced Member
Just my opition.

In theory, double wish bone at DC2 is better then the one at DC5, turning better and sharper.

I heard ohlins is good at racing, on DC5, i am not sure, better listen who is using it.

i am using Tein HA, ship from jap.cost about 1K + 200 fitting+ aliment.
car run everyday, lots of trackday + towing. no problem. road & Track, i can say, perfect!!!

after market suspenion is very important for the race car, u can adjust ur own height, like my driver side is 4mm higher, when i jump into the car, car will be level. Front and the rear camber adjust, standard DC5 is more rear camber at the front, specially u lowered only with springs, all racing DC5 they have more front camber, becuase is front wheel drive. Tein HA have 16 clicks adjustable from soft to hard, everyday road use full soft like orginal family car, more more clicks as soon as i arrived track, if the car understeer too much, i will try 2 click on the front softer, let more weight down to the front to get more grip when turning, differne track have differnet setting, all depend on the his own driving style.

lowered spring will give u harder feeling and less body roll and look nicer and is affordable but will give the orginal DC5 suspenion more stress and shorter their life.

if u just want the car lower and look better, get the springs. if u want more then that. get the suspenion, u won't be disappointed.

belive me or not, when u drive the car very hard at coner, or bumping through the apex, those suspenion is doing lots of work to keep u on the black stuff!!!

Franz

Jor-El

Advanced Member
gotta agree with PS2. In addition mine came with front adjustable camber plates and upper pillow ball mounts. Have mine set at 22 clicks