DC2's

keevster

Advanced Member
Hi Folks. Sold the DC5 last night :cry: :cry: , i am so gutted to be honest, but needs must, and the only thing thats keeping a smile on my face at the moment is the prospect of new wheels.

So i am pretty keen on a DC2 JDM or UK. ATR is my second choice as there are some bargains about at the moment.

I know there are some on here who now have the DC2 or have previously owned them.

What i really want to know, is who has had the JDM DC2. What advice would you give someone looking for A JDM DC2. 5K cars are way out my comfort zone when it comes to buying them, other than the obvious bodywork damage what else should i be looking for on the mechanical side.
Also what would you prefer JDM or UK :lol:

My reasons for being a bit more keen on the JDM is the cleanliness of them, no rust and the bodywork is usually in tip top :wink:

I have called a couple of JDM DC2s, and they had no history what so ever. No documentation or auction sheet. I know this aint a huge deal, due to the age of the car, but would you go for something just based on your eyes.

Oh, the last one i called came from Keekly trade centre. It looks clean on the photos, however :?:

Paul

707 DC5

Advanced Member
Sorry for the loss of your DC5 :(

If you find one you think you like, could you not take it to a trusted mechanic and have him give it a look over? I had a USDM Type R from 2001-2004 and the only problem I ever had was the seal on the boot had a leak.

Best bet would be to pay a professional to look at it and make sure the frame/engine are ok. Most everything else you could probably spot on your own. GL on your purchase, I sometimes wish I still had my DC2 :(

Metalhead

Had a DC2 for a few years and it was absolutely amazing! Specific DC2 things to check are the synchros (2nd to 3rd particularly) as they can suffer wear - listen for crunching or difficult shifting at high revs.

On UKDM cars check for rusting around the bonnet lip and rear arches.

On UK and JDM check all the suspension bushes closely - because of the stiffened chassis they tend to take a lot of abuse and replacing all the main ones (control arm and trailing arms) can prove costly.

Good luck finding a goodun'!

pudski

Advanced Member
My first DC2 was the JDM one with the square lights. Liked it better than the uk one i had a few years later. Maybe the reason was it was a tad quicker :wink:

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
I've had 2 uk dc2's loved them both, not much difference between uk and import, except for the import has the 4-1 manifold whilst the uk has the 4-2-1. And people say the the jap is slightly more focused, but at the end of the day they are the same car just different front end, any components on an import can be placed on the uk

Just you get the bonus of cheaper insurance with the uk

Nikid

Hi Paul, if you dont have any luck in finding a JDM DC2 Type R & you would consider a cheap 98(S) UK DC2 then I have one for sale. Its advertised in the trade for sale section & I would accept £3700 for cash, if you want any further details on it then please do not hesitate to contact me on: 01738 626287

Regards

Niki Dickson

keevster

Advanced Member
Hi Niki, cheers for the offer, but i am probably wanting to get something for around the 5k mark, that is cheap though, i am sure it will sell at that.

I went to see another dog tonight. It was a JDM DC2 on a 97, no history, clean as a whistle on the outside and interior was minted, HOWEVER,
Underneath on the back chassis arms the corrosion was pretty bad, and i mean bad, the rear end of the floor was also coming apart, infact the full of the underside was pretty bad.
The young fella who was seemingly selling if for his mum stated it came over with snow tyres, and the company he used MIR motors had undersealed it.
I dont know where they put the underseal, but it certainly was not on the underside of the car, its only been in the country 8 months too or there abouts.

Infact here is the ebay listing, 220195523008

Stated he would take 4800, but i personally dont think it is worth it, as money is going to be needed spent on it on welding :oops:

Anyway, this has brought me to the conclusion. I could go on all year looking at dogs, or i could get a newer accord Type R For similar money, in tip top nick, or get Andy200bhp to import another car for me.

Andy if you read this, i dropped you a text mate.
Call you tommorow

Paul :wink:

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
I'm in the same situation as you Paul.
I sold the DC5 and the only thing that's tempting me is a DC2.
There are none for sale nearby and the prospect of long distance trips, to view what might not be minters isn't good.
Though i'm not helping by suddenly deciding I want air con on a UK spec.

Good luck in your search

morgan

Advanced Member
Well, I had a UK spec DC2 from brand new, and it was the best car I ever had - hence getting a DC5.

(Yep, you guessed it, my DC2 was red with a black interior...)

I wouldnt be scared of a UK one - its undersealed from new, and I believe not quite as harsh. Certainly my DC2 rode better than the DC5 does - the DC5 still shocks me how harsh it is !

Its not as quick through the range as a DC5 for sure, but its SO predictable, and the LSD far less intrusive. I actually found it a great everyday car, even if not *quite* as quick as the DC5. Goes to show speed aint everything.

Try before you buy - and dont expect it to be as plush. (yep, it even makes the DC5 look plush). I think you'll like it !

Evs

Advanced Member
Agree with most of the above xthumbup

I've had a UK DC2 from new, I sold it to a neighbour just after I got the DC5, and then bought it back last year with only about 3k more on the clock, new cam belt etc etc... :D :lol:

I haven't driven a JDM one so can't really comment from personal experience, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in spec so it just comes down to banter between the JDM and UKDM camps. I personally would happily have either and it wouldn't bother me either way.

At your budget I'd suggest buy the nicest car you can find and don't worry what flavour it is.

Re the comparison with the ATR, well it comes down to what you're going to use it for - if it's just for B-road thrashing at weekends then the DC2 wins, but if it's a daily driver and you're going to be doing lots of motorway miles in it then the ATR is a lot more refined. The ATR also looks like a lot more car for the money, but they have a few known issues with them (HID adjusters, 5th gear synchro) so beware of that. They're very very tempting at the price though 8)

HTH & good luck! :D

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Useful extra opinions and info guys.
I'm soon to view a 00 DC2 MR with 53k on the clock. FHSH from same dealer.

I've read up on the DC2 forum for the obvious things to look for.
It seems genuine seller and car.
So hopefully it's as good as the owners description, then I can get over my vtec withdrawal. :lol:

keevster

Advanced Member
Thanks folks for all the advice on the DC2, much appreciated.

But i have made a desicion, i have just been off the phone to Andy, and asked him to source me a DC2 from Japan.

No doubt there is some nice examples in this country, but i trust Andy and his team to get me a minter with lowish miles, and a decent service with it :wink:

Paul :wink:

keevster

Advanced Member
Metalhead said:
Sounds like a plan - no doubt it'll be rust free which is a huge bonus too!!! 8)

Thats one of the reasons my friend why i want a fresh import. The two cars i have inspected of late, one was rotten with corrosion and the 98 spec UK had a fair bit of corrosion also. With a fresh import it should be corrosion free, then it will get the underseal treatment right away.

I have seen the underside of 4 DC2s now, two in person and photos of two, 3 of these where JDM and not one of them was undersealed :roll: Not a good move i dont think considering its a 10 year old car and our roads are ridden with salt for 5 months of the year :shock:
Obviously if these cars where undersealed on entry to the UK, i dont think they would be suffering the way they where.

Paul

:wink:

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Thanks for the order paul, were now on the look out for your Dc2 in Japan.

Will be in Touch soon mate :wink:

keevster

Advanced Member
No worries Andy :lol: car number 2 on its way from 200bhpcars, hopefully the second one is as mint as my first :lol: , which i am sure it will be :wink:

Paul

liktup

Advanced Member
keevster said:
I have seen the underside of 4 DC2s now, two in person and photos of two, 3 of these where JDM and not one of them was undersealed :roll: Not a good move i dont think considering its a 10 year old car and our roads are ridden with salt for 5 months of the year :shock:
Obviously if these cars where undersealed on entry to the UK, i dont think they would be suffering the way they where.
I wouldn;t panic too much, my JDM DC2 had been in the UK since '99 had done nearly 100k miles in '05 when I sold it and didn;t have the first sign of rust showing anywhere, and there was no extra undersealing than it left the factory with :wink:

THe UK cars suffer on the arches because of those ridiculous plastic protectors Honda UK saw as a good idea to fit :roll: :lol:

Personally I would take a JDM car every time over a UK car too as of all the cars I have driven ( at least half a dozen of each variant) the JDM's always feel a little more spritely and eager 8)

I was really shocked when I drove a DC2 straight after I sold my DC5 as to how small the car felt, the DC5 does well to achieve the weight it does with how big it has become 8)

Stevieg

Advanced Member
keevster said:
Personally I would take a JDM car every time over a UK car too as of all the cars I have driven ( at least half a dozen of each variant) the JDM's always feel a little more spritely and eager 8)
I agree I have had two UKDM DC2s and when I test drove a 98 spec JDM DC2 I was blown away - it was nearly standard apart from a Mugen Twin loop and I was amazed at how much eager and shaper it felt! This was only a month after I had sold my 400bhp Evo so for me to be impressed so shortly after selling the beast must be saying something about how good the 98 spec is! :D (I certainly would have brought it if It had been in better condition)

liktup

Advanced Member
The 98 spec is great, but I actually prefer the 96 spec due to the different gearing :wink: :D