DC5 -> 350z

firthy22

Advanced Member
My car is currently in the bodyshop having some stealth work done so borrowed my son's 350z for the day to travel to work.

Jap import with tiptronic gearbox, not that you really need it as the gear changes are very quick and smooth. Gave it a bit of a blast over the mountain in sport mode and the torque is way better than the DC5 but that's where it ends.

Sticks well around the car but just doesn't have the feel of the DC5 and you just can't tell when it might break away on you. You can almost feel how heavy the car is in comparison, the steering wheel feels too big and in general nowhere near as responsive.

I have to admit that it is quick and the initial torque is wonderful but it seems to struggle after 6k revs so you're better changing up a bit earlier which is the exact opposite to the DC5 which pulls all the way to the limiter.

All in all, a comfortable and smooth drive with plenty of power but nowhere near as rewarding as my DC5. Just not the same involvement and magic feeling as the revs build. curse sight heavier on fuel as well :)

coolerking

Advanced Member
Nice review! Seems to be a few people on here who think the same! The weight seems to let them down

Stealth work? Please expand lol :)

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
I always thinks they are a bit fat and lazy round the bends too but nice looking car through...

cameroon95

Advanced Member
Potentially my next car, i'm sure they arn't as predictable in cornering but in pure straight line speed I'm sure this would muller an integra?

gibby85

Advanced Member
Potentially my next car, i'm sure they arn't as predictable in cornering but in pure straight line speed I'm sure this would muller an integra?
Definite step sown from an Integra. Not a great drive and you can barely see out the windscreen. xthumbsdown

cameroon95

Advanced Member
Definite step sown from an Integra. Not a great drive and you can barely see out the windscreen. xthumbsdown
You'd say? Quite like the way they look, I'm a short lad anyway so barely seeing out of the windscreen is a daily occurence :xking:

gibby85

Advanced Member
My neighbour used to have one. I drove it a couple times, just didnt like it at all. Nice exhaust note though.....

firthy22

Advanced Member
Faster than a standard DC5 probably, but felt about the same as my DC5, TBH very little between them in a staright line.

b19twg

Advanced Member
I had one never gelled with it.

To heavy and thirsty.

In a straight line with a dc there wouldnt be much in it.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Slightly quicker than a dc5 id say but more 80 onwards than lower down.

I quite like them tbh but more for big open stretches of road than b roading

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Without a doubt quicker than a dc5 I'd have thought. Even around a track I wouldn't be surprised to hear the 350 has the edge on all but the most technical tracks purely for the way the torque can hold the speed through the corners better. I think the DC5 is an excellent track car but I think where they really excel is on places like touge. You must have all seen the YouTube vid of the DC5 at Touge? Awesome!
The 370z seems like a different animal though. Tighter, lighter and more composed. Plenty of racing pedigree and have heard you won't get a better car with the same layout for less than twice the price

coolerking

Advanced Member
Agree 370z could be up next for me, just running costs that put me off initially, properly quick though

kingston

Advanced Member
Standard vs standard on track;
Handling/Braking - DC5
Straight Line - 350Z but it wont pull away as such, i.e. if your one car length behind it, itll stay at 1 car length or maybe slightly creep up abit before you can catch it under braking. But then again it depends on who the driver is and how committed they are

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Agree with Kingston on this. A 350z would certainly never run rings round a dc5. It all comes down to personal preference but I'd certainly never chop my dc5 for a 350, Maybe a 370 :)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Agree with Kingston on this. A 350z would certainly never run rings round a dc5. It all comes down to personal preference but I'd certainly never chop my dc5 for a 350, Maybe a 370 :)
Same here. Dc5 is a more focused drive in every way but a 370 is a lovely car. I get the feeling the 350 was a little watered down for a more of a touring type owner. The 370 is everything the 350 should have been.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yep 350 is a bit lardy and on track just as james says its pretty much down the the driver, having driven both on track i would say you could get away with pushing the teg harder and get away with a little bit more where as in the 350 one mistake and its all over.

best thing is they sound lovely.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I have always wanted a RWD. I think the 350 looks very well the 370 looks better again. I'm sure with a few mods these cars could be very quick. Probably thirsty compared to the DC5 but still its RWD.

Rob_DC5

Advanced Member
I made a huge mistake of swapping my JRSC DC5 for a Fairlady Z, but 2 years later I swapped the Z for my current DC5... wouldn't go back now.