DC5 bodywork

ChrisMcC

Hello Guys,
I have been uhhming and ahhing for a while about whether to have two smallish carpark dings removed from the door and rear quarter of my DC5.

The thing that is stopping me is the thin metal on Hondas - well more specifically, my experiences with the metal on my old DC2... :(

At the time of viewing the DC2, I spotted a few car park dings, but thought nothing of it as I had my previous car done (A Vauxhall with metal like a military tank) and achieved a perfect result. On the DC2 however, this turned out to be a mistake. Although the dent removal guy got rid of the dings themselves (perfectly in fact, you simply could not see them at all after) what I was left with was a series of "waves" or distortions in the metal which made the side of the car look awful in moving reflected light as you walked around it. In any still photo, the car looked immaculate.

I learned in hindsight, that it seems the metal itself stretches around the point of impact (and much more so on the DC2 due to it's paper thin panels) , but you can't really see it when there is a car park ding in the centre of the distortion. It is only once it has been removed the eye sees what is left.

Does anybody have first hand experience of dent removal on a 5? Is the metal thicker than the DC2? What kind of result did you get?

I am a bit of a fussy sort when it comes to certain things, and I really came to hate the panels on the DC2. I am wondering if the result on the 5 will be worse than just leaving them alone. The last thing I want is the dent removal guy pushing and pulling the panels about to get rid of the dents and leaving these ripples.

Can anyone recommend a good dent remover in the east mids? I am more than happy to travel to find someone who can do the job properly ;)

Many thanks, Chris.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I know exactly what you mean, im also a bit of a perfectionist when its comes to the bodywork and paint. I've had several dings removed from mine and some of the repairs do have a slight wobble in the reflection, but it is much much better than leaving them as they were, and to be honest these wobbles are so slight that i dont see them anymore. The majority however are just invisible and even my dent guy couldn't tell me where they were.

He has been very good so far and his work is to a very high standard, even my bodyshop who do amazing work use him. He has warned me before that there may be some slight wobbles in the reflection and that they will never all be 100%, it depends on the type of ding and as you said the metal can stretch.

Im more than happy to recommend him, he lives in Cheltenham but does travel around a bit, maybe if you enquire he may be making his way near you at some point convenient to you both.

http://www.panelperfectpdr.co.uk/

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I've had dings taken out on both doors and they were done very well. You will never get a perfect panel once it has been ding'd. The metal will crease. It's like using a rubber on a piece of paper then trying to straighten it out afterwards. As soon as it has been distorted it's ruined.