DC5 - boosting options!?

ash_dc5

Hi all,

I'm planning on boosting the teg in the not too distant future (spring/summer next year)... It's currently running 230bhp and setup for fast road/track.

The plan was to go the whole hog and get it forged and turbo'd - I've been quoted just over 10kand have been told that should see 450-500bhp, I know that's a lot, but will it completely ruin the characteristics and handling? Not sure if I want it to be a straight line monster!

Having spoken with TGM, a chap from buddyclub and reading different posts online, the general gist is anything over 350bhp is pointless...

So do I go down the supercharged route instead? This looks to be a cheaper option and better driveability, but you don't get the monster torque/power/efficiency (off boost) as a turbo!

Then there's the engine health/reliability to consider, it seems that 350bhp is the limit on stock internals on the k20a, due to running higher compression than the k20a2...is it worth forging it just to be safe or not bother with the supercharger?

Comments/advice welcome :)

Thanks,
Ash

adam.

Advanced Member
Dropping 10k on a car that's worth what, 8k? :xaiweb3:

I'd just buy a ready-boosted one, and let some other poor chap lose a shed load of hard earned cash.

Brophy

Advanced Member
As above sounds like you've decided on charged instead of turbo.

I'm obviously favour charged as that's what I run and absolutely love it, hopefully max it out soon with a chargecooler currently running 290bhp.

discodave22

Advanced Member
Comptech, jr, tvs I'd say you are looking for! Rotrex is there too but I see more & more of these letting themselves go.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I've ummed and ahhed about the possibility of selling up just because I'm getting to the point I fancy a change. Obviously my supercharger set up is worth more breaking it than selling it on the car. It's just a thought at the moment and would need oem parts to swap it out for. Just as a heads up its a jrsc ported and polished and rebuilt 4 months ago. With 650cc injectors, charge cooler, 3.2" pulley and a 2.85" pulley and ep3s crank pulley I've never got around to fitting. Aswell as a 4 bar map sensor. All ready for more power should you wish it. Currently running at 7psi it's 308hp (eurospec) with the parts for 10-13psi depending on what parts you wanted to fit,for around 350hp give or take. Would also included merc racing auto tensioner bracket too. Probably the most complete jrsc set up you can get!
It's still up in the air at the minute but who knows