Dc5 brakes, trackdays, personal opinios.

Alicks

Advanced Member
So in January I sold a mk4 golf track project and brought a dc5. It's literally a weekend toy and for the trackdays. It came with tein mono flex coilovers which are outstanding a tegiwa induction kit and a spoon n1 backbox

Since then I've fitted rear camber adjusters, scrapped the Toyo t1rs that were on the car for Yokohama ad08s all round. (Personal opinion but I think t1rs are shocking. Terrible grip, go off way to fast and let go unpredictably.) had a fast road set up done and fitted some new brembo discs and ds2500 pads, tgm braided lines and are superblue fluid. After a day at brands hatch and an afternoon at lydden hill, the brembos were warped and making a terrible noise. I looked around for bigger disc conversions etc and found nothing for standard calipers.

IMO it seemed pointless going for complete brake upgrade as the brakes didn't fade or go off.

I searched for a few days to find an alternative and all that was really on the market was treated standard discs which I was reluctant to use for the money. I was really after a 2 price setup with better vein layout. Eventually I found the SPD (buddyclub) two peice discs. Thought id give them a go with the hawk hp+ pad. Now I've used some decent brake setups before, but honestly the stopping force this combo produces is absolutely epic. They've got a great progressive feel and there is so much stopping power it will happy kick the abs in.

I've not done a trackday on them yet but I've got an evening at brands book for early next month so I'll keep you updated.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Most of the braking increase is more than likely the pads,the carbon Lorraines I had would pretty much rip your face off they stopped so well. Would say track only pad though as I had couple issues with pad pick up even with grooved discs

Alicks

Advanced Member
Lol yeah ripping your face off is a good description. Always used ds2500s as everyone raves about them but the difference is phenomenal. Tbh the odd occasions I do use the car on the road it's pretty spirited anyway. Just hope they hold up on track or I'll have to get ££ out for bbk

integraleo

Advanced Member
I remember reading somewhere that someone warped the centre caps with very heavy track braking with carbon Lorraine pads with no brake fade

dotty

Advanced Member
I've never had any fade with my AP Two piece discs and 2500's I have some project Mu pads to try out with them once they're done.

Alicks

Advanced Member
Alicks said:
Here's a couple of pictures I took. Discs seem pretty good quality for the price. I looked everywhere for ap discs but couldn't find anything for the dc5. They list burton power as they're only uk stockist. And other than the cheap £200 2 piece discs on eBay they're were the only others I could really find.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Haven't heard of Carbon Lorraine I'll have to bare them in mind for next time. I've never had issues with brake face btw, just warping brembo discs with the ds2500s
Here's a couple of pictures I took. Discs seem pretty good quality for the price. I looked everywhere for ap discs but couldn't find anything for the dc5. They list burton power as they're only uk stockist. And other than the cheap £200 2 piece discs on eBay they're were the only others I could really find.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Haven't heard of Carbon Lorraine I'll have to bare them in mind for next time. I've never had issues with brake face btw, just warping brembo discs with the ds2500s

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I found i got a bit of vibration and pad deposit build up using oem brembo discs and ds2500 on track.

I might step up to the 2 piece disc if my setup is still no good. Aint drove the car since september

ARCooke

Ive got brembo discs with EBC yellows at the moment that ive inherited [-( , but i think i might try Pagid RS4 or RST4 next in the front?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
I found i got a bit of vibration and pad deposit build up using oem brembo discs and ds2500 on track.

I might step up to the 2 piece disc if my setup is still no good. Aint drove the car since september
I've got the same problem with ds3000 and dba 4000 series slotted discs.

I'm going for a big brake kit as I don't like the feel of the oem Brembos, probably go for Carbone Lorriane pads of Pagid rs29 pads

Alicks

Advanced Member
To be honest I really like the feel of the standard brembo they were a bit soggy when I got huge car but since fitting the braided lines and the ate superblue pedal feel was really nice and progressive. My only issue was warped discs. Now with the hawk pads the feels even better, bites almost instantly and its got a great progressive feel as you push the pedal harder.

RobS

Advanced Member
Not wanting to raise this thread from the depths, but how have you gotten on after a few months with the Buddyclub 2 pc discs and the Hawk HP+ pads Alicks?

Bbterri

Advanced Member
Im also on the look out for a good brake set up for road and track days. From what iv read 2 piece discs is the way forward. Im waiting to hear from alicks about his set up aswel, want to know what its like on the road/daily use.