DC5 @ BTCC running with VTEC disable??

CJ DC5

Advanced Member
Hi Guys

Just wonder why the DC5 @ BTCC are a bit slow than other? :-k I known sometime is to do with the driver/ setup, but I read an article somewhere currently they are running with VTEC disable?? How about the CTR? :xconfused:

CJ :xconfused:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
they are nearly 10 years old!! and not slower at all, they have an almost identical engine to the newer civics, neither have vtec anymore , they have very fancy bits inside and dont need it, they make 300hp and the engines cost around £30K each.

The dc5's that are still in BTCC are very competitive , where else do you still cars of this age still going strong? just shows how good they really are.

CJ DC5

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
they are nearly 10 years old!! and not slower at all, they have an almost identical engine to the newer civics, neither have vtec anymore , they have very fancy bits inside and dont need it, they make 300hp and the engines cost around £30K each.

The dc5's that are still in BTCC are very competitive , where else do you still cars of this age still going strong? just shows how good they really are.
Don't get me wrong, what I mean was they are not wining anymore ](*,) , anyway, K20 made 300bhp without VTEC :shock: What fancy bits does it have?

CJ 8)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
cams, pistons, headwork, intake, ecu , everything you can imagine is trick in there,
the teams are also privateers so they dont have the budgets of the likes of ford or chevrolet and if it wasnt for the focuses they would be closer, the cars themselves are still capable of winning thats for sure,

sinbad

Advanced Member
They use VTEC killer cams. VTEC is for a mixture of low down torque and high end power for use on the road which a race car doesnt need. Theres no need for a low profile cam in a race car so they are all using high profile cams.

The BTCC DC5 cars ARE very fast and are certainly competative given the regulations, there not winning as they dont have the backing of a manufacturer, however theyare 3rd in the independant championship out of 13, so not that bad.

Rob84

Advanced Member
iirc, variable valve timing/lift is banned anyway under the regulations.

advances in suspension design and numerous other things will see the newer developed cars have the advantages over the DC5

Vtec_wannabe

Advanced Member
But do the stupid ST's (sorry I just have a big passion/hatred towards Ford) in BTCC running there turbos? :-k

eXceed

Resident Driver
Vtec_wannabe said:
But do the stupid ST's (sorry I just have a big passion/hatred towards Ford) in BTCC running there turbos? :-k
Those focus's are mental on the straights but as soon as it gets to a corner the other cars seem soo much better

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
I think it sucks that the focus is allowed to run a turbo. It's completely against the BTcc reguslation but apparently they allowed it since the focus is running on LGP. Therefore they figured that if they allowed the turbo then it would balance out the fact it is running on LPG.

Nobody thought to test this theory it seems as the focus is now much quicket on the straights (about 6mph) thean any of the other cars so on most circuits their is nothing that will get past them except when they go through the corners.

Considering Paul O'Neill isn't the fastest driver and he is only in a privately run BTCC team I think he has been doing brilliantly! The last race at silverstone was awesome against the two focuses. He managed to keep the one behind for ages which was purely down to skillfull driving and using all the track. You could see when he did make a small mistake how quickly that focus pulled past!

Should be a good one coming up next!

Matt.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
2nd Race at Silverstone (22/8),was a cracking race for the DC5.

I was on the start/finish line,for the first handfull of laps & the DC5 (Sunshine) kept in front of the two civics (massive budgets) for a good length of time. I thought that was awesome. I kept expecting it to get swallowed up,by the factory Hondas,it didn''t. :wink:

And dont forget............You have one. 8) :green:

I still havn't seen Race 1 or 3,so dont spoil it for me. =;

west

Advanced Member
There are about 4 teams using turbo engines in the btcc. They will all be turbocharged next year for the new regs.

CJ DC5

Advanced Member
west said:
There are about 4 teams using turbo engines in the bttc. They will all be turbocharged next year for the new regs.
Sounds like no more Honda on BTCC next year?/ Turbocharged DC5 :twisted:

CJ :(

whl1882

Advanced Member
BTCC runs S2000 rules:

FIA specifications include the following:[9] [10]
• Derived from production model, of which at least 2500 have been produced in the past year
• Maximum of 2 liter (2000 cc) displacement
• Normal Aspiration, Rally: 8500 rpm maximum, Circuit: 8500 rpm maximum for 4 cylinders, 8750 rpm maximum for 5 cylinders, 9000 rpm maximum for 6 cylinders.
• All wheel drive is permitted in rally cars, but not in touring cars.
• 6-speed sequential gearbox (Control specification), or 5-speed MT gearbox retaining original gear ratios.
• Front and rear McPherson suspension
• No electronic driver aids
• Must be for sale at a maximum price of €168,000

So how on earth are teams allowed to use a turbocharger? Seems a bit fucked up. Oh well.

Anyway, yeah, none of the cars in there would be running anything close to stock engines… at least internally. They have rules to follow and will push the limits of engineering and budgets to get the maximum amount of power delivery and handling. So none of the BTCC cars are even remotely comparative to their road-going brothers.

So as to why the BTCC DC5 isn‘t doing as well as say a DC5 vs a Focus ST in ‘the real world‘ would be down to drivers and engineering based on the teams respective budgets/sponsorship/backing.

It‘s a shame what‘s happened in the WRC – only really a couple of French cars racing competitively and the loss of Subaru, Mitsu etc has made it pretty unappealing IMO although I do still enjoy watching it. I heard WRC is going down the S2000 route to attract more teams – the current rules make it hard for teams/manufacturers to take part ‘cos it‘s too god damn expensive.

Oh how I miss the days of seeing the STi and Evo 6 battling it out. It‘s just not the same as seeing a Peugeot and Citroen doing the same thing….

Matt-Pem

The Itegra's still look strong and are still a favourite of the BTCC Cars, it'd not just the Fords that are Turbo'd, at least one of the vauxhalls.

As far as the WRC, I'm pretty sure they are going down the 1.6 turbo route, whilst an S2000 class will still be there, 1.6 turbo vs S2000 will be a good match up. I think it was Loeb that said he wouldn't compete if it went to soley S2000.

Ross M

Advanced Member
Didnt the other teams keep protesting about the straight line speed of the Focuses that the regulators placed a boost limiter on them? I maybe wrong, but I am sure when I was watching one race (think it was Silverstone) Tim Harvey mentioned it!

I think the DC5 is still very competitive considering the age of it now compared with the others in the field plus like the others have mentioned the budget they have available, plus I love hearing TH saying, the aero dynamic package of the Integra and its shape does mean it holds on to its tyres for longer and therefore is strong at the end of the race when others tyres are going quicker!

Not the exact piece of footage I was after but still!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXZfbEhLxcs

jay82

Advanced Member
Matt-Pem said:
The Itegra's still look strong and are still a favourite of the BTCC Cars, it'd not just the Fords that are Turbo'd, at least one of the vauxhalls.

As far as the WRC, I'm pretty sure they are going down the 1.6 turbo route, whilst an S2000 class will still be there, 1.6 turbo vs S2000 will be a good match up. I think it was Loeb that said he wouldn't compete if it went to soley S2000.
prodrive built a mini for the wrc, and ive read some old teams are planning to come back, including saab and audi, sort of stopped watching wrc since the evo's and scoobys went, with the 1.6 turbo routes it will be in interesting what other companys are coming back to the sport