DC5 buying advice

karan

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a dc5. I have viewed the car and it looks and sounds amazing. The was registered in 2007 and has 2 owners from the UK but the current one only has service history dated back to the last 6months of his ownership but here is one mot doc whick shows some previous year mileage.

Now I have a few things on my mind

1) the current owner has just had the seepdo changed from km to mph however shouldnt this be done when the car is registred in the uk
2007 from date of import.

2) is the lack of service history something to worry about, he does have some receipts he spend on the mods he has done to the car.

3) I am not buying the car from its registerd address as the owner has come to london to visit family.

Please advise on the above. Much appreciated.

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
Hey bud.

Il try and help ya, first not all cars are converted from kph to mph altho I did think this was required for the sva test. But iv seen a few imports with this not done and then done at a later stage

You can do a check that cost a few quid that checks the millage (forgot what it's called).

With the lack of service history the answer is yes and no. Tbh my teg didn't have loads of service history, few stamps, mots ect, but the guy had the car for a few years so....all depends if the car has no history and the guys owned it only for a year ect you are taking a chance if the guys owned it longer then it might just mean he's done a lot of the work himself. These cars are easily enought played around with.

I would go through what history he does have, do an aa background check ect, a good check over of the car and go from there. If I ever do come to sell mine il have more receipts for stuff bought than invoices for work done as I'm a lot more hands on.

With regards to registered address that's fine but just MAKE sure you ask for id and it matches up to the address on the V5, to some people this might be silly and it's more than likly it will but better safe than sorry.

You got any links to this car so we can have a look at it :).

Hope that helps

Alex.

karan

Hi Mate

Thanks for the advised. The problem with the v5 is that he name is spelt slightly wrong, the put down an "P" instead of an "i" but he showed me his driver liscence which looked fine and think he pulled out his passport too.

Would this be anything to worry about as suppose it does happen.

Also the steering makes a slight squeeking noise when i turn it during stationary and feels slightly heavy, cant turn it with one hand like i do with my car.

He has receipts for the modifcation he has bought for the car and looks like he spend quite abit too.

Rom

Advanced Member
The mileage always worries me on these.
People claiming it's still in km, or just been converted etc.

The v5 thing I can understand if he's moved and not changed it.
Or specifically arranged to show you the car while he's down etc.

Service wise, you'd like to think someone would keep UK stuff for records.
But every car that comes over, has iffy history.
Even if they have a book, it's in Japanese. But I believe it's more common than come with no service book.
So who knows what's been done while it was in Japan.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

karan

The thing is that there isn't much service history for the uk owners either. The car looks amazing but it just the above listed information is making me think twice. Its a proper one off dc5. Don't know if i may be exagerating a little or this is what to expect from looking at the dc5. Other cars like the scoobys have fsh from what I come across.

The guy has not moved, he just come down to visit his parents in london, he from scotland, so im viewing it at his parents address basically.

ste01

Advanced Member
The steering on tegs does feel heavier than a lot of other cars about. Just go on gut feelings and if you have any doubts leave it.

Rom said:
Even if they have a book, it's in Japanese. But I believe it's more common than come with no service book.
So who knows what's been done while it was in Japan.

Unless like me, you speak Japanese 8) I even know the guys name that sold my car in the Tokyo Honda dealer haha.

Rom

Advanced Member
ste01 said:
Unless like me, you speak Japanese 8) I even know the guys name that sold my car in the Tokyo Honda dealer haha.
Ha, you done goofed son!

Cue the influx of 'please can you translate this for me' requests

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Perhaps put a link up to the car or it's reg etc. on here - you never know it could have been owned by a forum user or known by someone on here?
That might help with the servicing queries a little bit, it's worth a try

My DC5 wasn't for sale on here but by searching I found it had 2 previous forum owners which was very nice and they told me what a good teg he was when they owned him too!

Good luck with your search :)

DC5DAVE

I'm always wary of cars that have 'just been converted' to mph after being in the country years, it's an easy and sneaky way of wiping off a load of miles.

If it has been in the country a while and had a few owners I would take the reading as mph and not kmh. At least that way you won't be disappointed if you find a previous owner and they advise you it was converted years ago!

Rom

Advanced Member
So thats 53k miles.

Whilst there are certainly tegs out there with that low, i think generally they are higher. And the guy lives in Scotland, and drives to see family in London. Could be the first trip in the car, but could also be regular.

I know myself id be thinking it was in miles not km.

MrRy

Advanced Member
You can check the past 6 years MOT's online to verify the UK mileage. I would do that first. Mine is on 48k (or somewhere near that mark) and you can tell due to the condition and how it drives so I wouldn't get hung up in mileage - if its a good one, its a good one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
MrRy said:
You can check the past 6 years MOT's online to verify the UK mileage. I would do that first. Mine is on 48k (or somewhere near that mark) and you can tell due to the condition and how it drives so I wouldn't get hung up in mileage - if its a good one, its a good one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
that's what i did when i bought mine. you'll need the V5 reference number though

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

karan

Rom said:
So thats 53k miles.

Whilst there are certainly tegs out there with that low, i think generally they are higher. And the guy lives in Scotland, and drives to see family in London. Could be the first trip in the car, but could also be regular.

I know myself id be thinking it was in miles not km.
Thats showing in miles now, he said it was converted half way through so it may be on 60k miles, think he had the doc for it too, cant remember now.