DC5 Carputer project

tedg

Advanced Member
partly 'cos it will be more flexible then a 'proper' unit and partly 'cos it is a project

crxvtec

Advanced Member
It becomes a media jukebox - you can have movies/music playing on demand off the hard drive. You also get a higher resolution display than the AV units currently on sale. Plus if you're parked up near an open WiFi you can look things up on Google. The possibilities are endless.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Bit of background - there is a group of people that have a serious affinity for technology - the sort you may see owning all the latest gadgets.

These people tend to like Japanese sports cars because they're viewed as a covetable piece of technology - another gadget, if you will. The fusion of their Japanese sports car with some real "haute technology" like an in-car PC is too cool a proposition to resist.

How can I tell you all of this? I'm one of them...

tedg

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Bit of background - there is a group of people that have a serious affinity for technology - the sort you may see owning all the latest gadgets.

These people tend to like Japanese sports cars because they're viewed as a covetable piece of technology - another gadget, if you will. The fusion of their Japanese sports car with some real "haute technology" like an in-car PC is too cool a proposition to resist.

SNIP
Must be as bored as i am :D

In fact i am bored of PCs actually.......You get like that in the embedded computing world. I think it will make an elegant solution for mp3/sat nav/ phone etc etc as some of the double din units out there are rubbish.

Evs

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:

How can I tell you all of this? I'm one of them...
There's another group of people who have a serious affinity for a reasonably minimalist and direct driving experience, valuing as they do light weight, responsiveness, and the absence of superfluous gizmos in their cars. They don't necessarily care in which country their car was made.

They might also have an affinity for the latest technology but recognise that it has its place in the home or in application-specific mobile gadgets, and don't need to pollute their driving experience with in-dash web browsing, visual entertainment and such like.

For them, a simple CD player, multi-changer or IPOD interface linked to good amp & speakers will do the job just fine thanks... :idea: :lol:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Guess what?

In my car there's a simple CD player, multi-changer and IPOD interface linked to good amp & speakers.

:lol:

Zero7

Advanced Member
And there are others who spend over £10k in mods to make the car go faster and another £5k on sounds, must be they must be the stupid 'others' :oops:

User

Advanced Member
£380 worth of ICE here - Kenwood HU, Kenwood speakers and a USB stick with me tunes on it.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
tedg said:
In fact i am bored of PCs actually.......You get like that in the embedded computing world. I think it will make an elegant solution for mp3/sat nav/ phone etc etc as some of the double din units out there are rubbish.
This is what you want:
https://www.pioneerhongkong.com.hk/site ... sp?pid=184

It's not out in the UK yet but Hong Kong uses the same FM range as we do (being a former British colony) so you could buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-AVH-P6850 ... dZViewItem

It's far better than the other double DIN units out there because it's got a decent graphics processing chip.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Zero7 said:
And there are others who spend over £10k in mods to make the car go faster and another £5k on sounds, must be they must be the stupid 'others' :oops:
That depends on how much you covet a Porsche Boxster ;)

tedg

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
tedg said:
This is what you want:
https://www.pioneerhongkong.com.hk/site ... sp?pid=184

It's not out in the UK yet but Hong Kong uses the same FM range as we do (being a former British colony) so you could buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-AVH-P6850 ... dZViewItem

It's far better than the other double DIN units out there because it's got a decent graphics processing chip.
but does not do sat nav :(

AVG-VDP1 processor is made up by pioneer marketing team

tedg

Advanced Member
Evs said:
SNIP
They don't necessarily care in which country their car was made.

They might also have an affinity for the latest technology but recognise that it has its place in the home or in application-specific mobile gadgets, and don't need to pollute their driving experience with in-dash web browsing, visual entertainment and such like.
SNIP
Let's stick to my topic 8)

I will be sourcing parts and detailing the build in this thread

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Ted, you can add a Sat Nav drive to that unit...

They do a UK model with inbuilt HDD and SatNav but that's just the wrong side of £2000.

If you're doing a DIY build, have a look at www.xenarc.com for a decent high-res screen and as for keyboards, IBM (Lenovo) do a ThinkPad keyboard with USB interface - ideal for glovebox installation.

tedg

Advanced Member
Evs said:
SNIP
They don't necessarily care in which country their car was made.

SNIP
Forgot to say, emailing people when parked in any macdonalds carpark is also a bonus :!: .... this car is going to be a road warrior in two senses.

tedg

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Ted, you can add a Sat Nav drive to that unit...

They do a UK model with inbuilt HDD and SatNav but that's just the wrong side of £2000.
Quite a bit, should have spent that kind of money on the 'teg instead ...

crxvtec said:
If you're doing a DIY build, have a look at www.xenarc.com for a decent high-res screen and as for keyboards, IBM (Lenovo) do a ThinkPad keyboard with USB interface - ideal for glovebox installation.
Going to be ALL in the dash unit.... going nanoITX or similar SBC route (may get those free from work! ESS2006 show soon)