dc5 compared to dc2 and ep3

hon88

Hi guy,

Im looking to buy dc5, just wondering how is it compared to a dc2, i have own a dc2 in the past.

i was told the you can hear more road noise in the dc5 than the dc2 is this true? and is the dc5 more comfortable car to drive than the dc2?

how is it compare to a civic type r ep3, is the dc5 alot quicker than the uk ep3? and how is the ride compare to that?

what sort of mpg can you get out of a dc5?

Cheers

roncee

Advanced Member
go to one of th bigger import dealers and go for a test drive. probably will answer many more of your questions that way. 30-35mpg

raz786

Advanced Member
Someone is almost definitely going to post a link to the "search" facility as a lot of this has been covered before. DC2 is less comfortable I would imagine and more road noise as it has less sound proofing I think. The DC5 is much better the the UK Civic R, quicker, more of a feel to the steering, a better drivers car. HTH

logik

Advanced Member
As mentioned there is tonnes of posts about the difference between DC5, DC2 and EP3's

Just do a quick search and you will find everything you need.

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
Its ok to tell people to search, but do you not find the search facility on (most) forums to be shockingly bad?

I find that when I do a search it brings up an absolute multitude of stuff I'm not searching for too, sometimes completely unrelated... you actually end up manually looking through all the search results searching for what you want :?

I tried using google for a while with the domain modifier thing (so search for something like "Eibach Pro Street site:www.itr-dc5.com/forum" but whereas the forum search brings up too much stuff, this method hardly finds anything...)

anybody else feel like this? or am I just using both facilities wrong? :oops:

( as an addition, using the command words in the forum search never really works either... for example, the OP was looking for comparisons of the DC2, 5, and EP3 but if you search for "DC5 AND DC2 AND EP3" it returns NO results, despite the fact that this very thread (along with many others) mention all three :?: )

EDIT: not having a dig at you here Logik, not in the slightest, I know where you're coming from as yes it has been discussed a lot in the past :wink:

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
^^ the above two posts are bang on the money, add to them that it looks a shed load nicer and you have the full package of reasons :)

Paul Type R

DC5 is the proper Type R, oh yes, it is so.

DC5 - DC2

DC5's are a more chunkier drive but there's less feel in the steering, but it's not something you don't get use to and it still has bags more feel than other cars of this ilk i could mention, EP3 being one of them actually. Theres a bit more mid range power thanks to VTC so you don't find yourself needing to thrash it as much. I find that the diffs more active on the DC5 which i thinks a good thing. Brake feels not as good as the DC2 but they seem to have more power and again you get use to it. The worst thing i missed is the feel of the gearbox (and the titanuim nob), not so much riffle bolt feel and not as accurate, on the other hand it has 6 ratios which the DC2 screamed for. You'll notice the shorter 4th gear straight away and it does wonders for accelerating 80+. It's quieter, more comfy, taller top gear for motorways, in my opinion it's the better road car. Some people would disagree and if i was buying track day car it would be a DC2 all day.

DC5 - EP3

Less experience here as i've never owned one (and why would i) but the electric steering and lack of LSD isn't impressive, i do stick to my opening statement. Brakes still good, feel more like DC2's. DC5's are faster but not so you'd notice unless they were side by side and it's only slight, bigger, roomer interior but the boots smaller. Good cars but if you want the real McCoy go DC5 or at least JDM EP3. Oh and i don't like the gearlever in the dash thing either, makes it feel like your playing out run or real drivin' in an old skool arcade, silly.

dotty

Advanced Member
Paul Type R said:

DC5 - EP3

DC5's are faster but not so you'd notice unless they were side by side
There is not much in them at all, in real world terms you will see no gain on speed..

Paul Type R said:
Oh and i don't like the gearlever in the dash thing either, makes it feel like your playing out run or real drivin' in an old skool arcade, silly.
This actually works a lot better than having a gear stick by the hand brake.

kingston

Advanced Member
VTeCMonKeY said:
I tried using google for a while with the domain modifier thing (so search for something like "Eibach Pro Street site:www.itr-dc5.com/forum" but whereas the forum search brings up too much stuff, this method hardly finds anything...)
yuo could also go to gallery and search there

alucardo

Advanced Member
Ive not tracked my dc5 yet but for real world driving i prefer my dc5 to a dc2.
B road country lane I would say they are pretty equal but the dc2 has a fun factor that the dc5 doesnt have as much of. Motorway driving dc5 all day long as no 6th gear and no sound deadening was a killer on long journeys in the dc2.
Somedays I miss my dc2 most days I dont I suppose I sacraficed some rawness for comfort day to day.
On track will be very interesting and I cant wait in all honesty the extra grip of the dc5 V the lightweight tipeytoe approach of the dc2 .

I know nothing of the ep3 other than there prices have dropped and you can pic up some very high spec ones supercharged even for the price of a dc5.

morgan

Advanced Member
Just to be contentious...

I have owned DC2 and DC5, and preferred the DC2.
I personally found the DC5 LESS comfortable - the suspension and ride is crushingly hard, and the LSD far more intrusive than the DC2.

DC5 does have some advantages - the mid range is better, and it has the 6th gear the DC2 so desperately needed. Arguably its a better looking car (but thats subjective I guess).

It should be noted my DC2 was brand new UK model - possibly this is softer than the jap ones ? Either way, my DC5 was harsher. I think EVO mag got it spot on - 5 stars for the DC2 and 4.5stars for the DC5. The comment was "lost a little of the old cars magic". Its still a great car - but it never floated my boat like my old one.

All opinions purely my own etc...

Paul Type R

dotty said:
Paul Type R said:

DC5 - EP3

There is not much in them at all, in real world terms you will see no gain on speed..

Paul Type R said:
Oh and i don't like the gearlever in the dash thing either, makes it feel like your playing out run or real drivin' in an old skool arcade, silly.
Why does it?

dotty

Advanced Member
Paul Type R said:
dotty said:
Paul Type R said:

DC5 - EP3

Paul Type R said:
Oh and i don't like the gear lever in the dash thing either, makes it feel like your playing out run or real drivin' in an old skool arcade, silly.
Why does it?
It just does, it is something you have to experience, I have had a DC5 and 3 x EP3's, there are things I prefer on the DC5 and there are also things I prefer on the CTR, the gear stick position is one of them :)

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
dotty said:
I have had a DC5 and 3 x EP3's, there are things I prefer on the DC5 and there are also things I prefer on the CTR, the gear stick position is one of them :)
i have an ep3 now and im considering changing to a dc5, how do you find the ride on the dc5 compared to the ep3. I was in a new fn2 the other day and thought the ride was too harsh, if the dc5 is the same as the ep3 on its ride then i can deal with that :D

i like the gearstick position but i miss a centre console to lean on when on long motorway journeys though

Greensprout

Advanced Member
I've owned a DC2 and now own a DC5.

I agree with most comments comparing the two.

The DC5 in my opinion (for what it's worth) looks alot moderner than the now dated looking DC2.

However the DC5 lacks the fun factor that the DC2 has.

The DC5 is more suited to everyday driving unlike the noisy rawness of the DC2. I don't regret buying the DC5 but I do prefer the VTEC kick compared to the 'ease you in nicely' iVTEC.

But it all comes down to your preference and circumstances :wink: