DC5 ~ Drag Racing

alfa27

Advanced Member
I know its frowned upon on here but just wondering does anyone use the DC5 for drag racing?

Im not talking about street racing, im talking about doing it on a proper strip.

Doing it next month and there is only 2 DC5's doing it. I know they were not built for 1/4 mile racing but its what i like so going to give it a go against a few DC2's and EK's.

What times are lads who do it doing it in?

What tires are you using and what revs are you launching at?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
drag racing isnt frowned upon , its just street racing.

personally i have raced or been involved with teams (as a mechanic or crew chief) at almost every level of drag racing over a 20 odd year period. i have worked for top fuel teams and sportsman teams, i built my full tube chassid car when i was 22 which ran 10's and have run 7.67 at 176 (in a more powerful car)

so..... i actually rather like it, problem is its not great in a fwd car,

i would expect to go around the 14 second mark at somewhere near 100mph ish in a std ish dc5

some hints and thoughts-

-dont be tempted to do a burnout (it wont help street tyres, drag tyres are designed to be heated up and get sticky, road tyres just get greasy)
-reduce tyre pressure a little (maybe low 20's)
-remember a pressure gauge to check them
-remember a tyre pump to reinflate ;)
-drop the clutch and handbrake as soon as you see the amber light on the christmas tree (not the stage or pre stage lights) as it takes half a second or so to get the car moving, (while this wont help your times it will help you beat the guy in the next lane)
-dont lift off the gas until you have actually passed the finish beams (ive seen lots of races lost due to this)
-try launching from 3500 rpm ish.
-tape a 10p coin over the handbrake button to hold it in (it stops it accidently becoming engaged)

remove as much weight as possible, think about the weight of fuel, a tank can weigh as much as 50kg.

most important have a great time.

alfa27

Advanced Member
Great reply, there is nearly 50 of us going to Bishopscourt next month from another site.

First time doing it really.

Going to strip the car,Air Con coming out next week and going to remove seats etc.

I tried launcing today at 2500 and its hard, have rally slicks so guess i will drop the pressure to 22 and try again.

Not running standard, bolt ons and a secret :xyes:

alfa27

Advanced Member
Benny-coupe said:
That was actually a great reply , some very useful info
I was waiting on a "we dont condone street racing" on here reply.

It was a good reply with hints im likely to use.

Any advice on tires?

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Mickey Thompson drag radials. Can't say I know anyone who's tried them but I've seen them around :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
there are lots of specific street drag tyres which work very well, i only drag raced with huge drag slicks, i have tried normal soft touring car slicks which were ok, but i also had 4 degrees of negative camber which doesnt help,

some more stuff ive thought of-

-your camber wants to be 1 degree negative at the most so when the back squats and front lifts the tyres are square with the track,
-if you have adjustable suspension set the rears as stiff as poss
-again if you can change the ride height set the rear higher than the front to increase front grip and reducs weight transfer to the rear
-inflate your rear tyres to 50psi to reduce drag
-remove your rear wing to reduce drag
-remove wing mirrors etc
-tape the gaps around lights etc. reduce drag.

if you have nitrous, dont even think about it in first gear,possibly not in second either, you can make it work well in third and fourth, i think you may just run out of revs in 4th just before the finish line , changing into 5th takes time, it can be better sometimes to hold it on the limiter rather than changing sometimes

alfa27

Advanced Member
alan-lee said:
Where you from alfa?
From Tipp Alan.

I set up a Drag day with a site i run. Its popular down here and since we really have limited options in the Rep of Ireland regards motorsport.

We are doing a drag day in Bishopscourt and there is only two DC5s doing it. I being one.

Its on the 20th of April if you want to come watch.

Drop me a pm if you need anymore details. Dont want to advertise another sites event with out talking to Admin.

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
alfa27 said:
I was waiting on a "we dont condone street racing" on here reply.

It was a good reply with hints im likely to use.

Any advice on tires?
Street legal tyres?

Choice is crap in europe but Toyo TQ or 888 @ 15 psi are commonly used.

alfa27

Advanced Member
13.95, piss poor but it was my first day and i need to work on my launches.

most cars had me off the line but once i got going i reeled them in.

dave c

400hp K20
alfa27 said:
13.95, piss poor but it was my first day and i need to work on my launches.

most cars had me off the line but once i got going i reeled them in.
Thats a decent time isn't it?

What mods have you got?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
13.95 is a perfectly respectable time in a dc5, my wifes old ford lightning used to run 13.5-14 depending on launch and was 500hp and 880 nm torque, (ok it also weighed 2.3 tons )

alfa27

Advanced Member
Got the usual mods. Tegiwa air box,rrc,full Toda system.

Another dc5 only done a 14.7 but i want mid to low 13s.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you are going to struggle with those mods tbh, you can probably get half a second by doing geo specifically and sorting better traction, however it will be awful on the road.

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
alfa27 said:
Got the usual mods. Tegiwa air box,rrc,full Toda system.

Another dc5 only done a 14.7 but i want mid to low 13s.
Are you tuned on Kpro too?

What 60ft times did you get with the tarmac rally tyres?

Jonnyteg

Advanced Member
pulpmelon_r said:
Are you tuned on Kpro too?

What 60ft times did you get with the tarmac rally tyres?
He must of had a kpro, wonder what his terminal speed was?