DC5 Electronic Power Steering Conversion Questions

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Yo guys,

Just working on converting my DC5 to EPS using the rack from the Civic EP3:

For those guys whom have done the mod, ie to fit ITB's, reduce parasitic drag, or just wanted a cleaner engine bay, where did you run the cables through the firewall for the EPS ECU?

I am unsure if I am missing a bracket, for example on the DC5 rack there was a pressed steel bracket that you fitted over the rack before you ran the 2 bolts through into the cast bracket that bolts onto the chassis. I never got one with the EP3 rack and am unsure if it even exists. Please see picture above.

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Why would you take one of the best things the dc5 does over an ep3 and change it to the ep3 system?

Mudgey

Advanced Member
You can't manually vary the assist as far as I am aware, perhaps you could if you could tap in and alter the signal going from the ECU to the rack.

Thanks Pasty, that's helpful. Do you run the extra lower brace and heat shield, do you have any issues with brake lines and steering rack getting hot?

Dazaturbo: its a controversial subject, personally I'm doing it for the weight savings, less clutter in the engine bay and I prefer the EPS over the hydraulic.

Pasty

Banned
No mate i dont run the bottom brace as it was rotton...

No problems with the eps at all!

adam.

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
You can't manually vary the assist as far as I am aware, perhaps you could if you could tap in and alter the signal going from the ECU to the rack.

Thanks Pasty, that's helpful. Do you run the extra lower brace and heat shield, do you have any issues with brake lines and steering rack getting hot?

Dazaturbo: its a controversial subject, personally I'm doing it for the weight savings, less clutter in the engine bay and I prefer the EPS over the hydraulic.
How does the S6M ECU run the EPAS? Or do you have to switch to the EP3 ECU?

I know EPAS is a very common switch out on the 172/182 Clios, but it runs independent of the ECU so you simply hook up a variable resistor.

Fez

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
Less weight? How much weight do you save?!

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Hadn't heard of the S6M ECU but after a quick google it comes up as the Airbag ECU?

The EPS has its own ECU from the civic, it has various inputs which you need to connect to some of the wires feeding the engine ECU, it needs road speed, rpm and possibly a few other things, its been a while since I looked at the wiring diagrams. You can also hook up some of the outputs to a connector plug for diagnostics and also a warning light.

It's not a huge weight saving but it all adds up, also consider if you get rid of the pump you can run an alternator relocate kit and get rid of the heavy tensioner and trim down the water pump housing.

adam.

Advanced Member
Mudgey said:
Hadn't heard of the S6M ECU but after a quick google it comes up as the Airbag ECU?

The EPS has its own ECU from the civic, it has various inputs which you need to connect to some of the wires feeding the engine ECU, it needs road speed, rpm and possibly a few other things, its been a while since I looked at the wiring diagrams. You can also hook up some of the outputs to a connector plug for diagnostics and also a warning light.

It's not a huge weight saving but it all adds up, also consider if you get rid of the pump you can run an alternator relocate kit and get rid of the heavy tensioner and trim down the water pump housing.
S6M is the DC5 specific part number naming convention.

E.G: XXXXX-S6M-12345

That makes more sense, thanks. But, if you can't vary the rate I'd definitely prefer the hydraulic DC setup. My EP3's steering was so bloody light and airy.

I tried the worm gear removal technique on my EP too, but with no assistance I could barely turn the wheel, even when moving. Lols.

How is the KMH/MPH speed pulse handled by the EPAS ECU?