DC5 front suspension top mounts knocking...

cfoster

Advanced Member
Are these prone to dying?? I have noticed a knocking noise over bumps from the front right wheel and am so sure its the top mount.... Is there anything else it can be apart from this?? It does it at any speed etc, in gear and coasting at 5 mph out of gear... Pretty much 99% sure its this.

How much am i looking at replacing these? And is it worth me uprating or buying a standard Honda part whilst Im at it??

Cheers
Chris

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
First, try tightening the top nut the holds the damper to the top mount. Do this with a 17mm spanner and a alan key to hold the damper still whist tightening.

If that doesn't do it, maybe the damper is shoot ie has some play in it.

Mike

cfoster

Advanced Member
now sorted! Tighten me top nut which seemed a little loose (tighter than hand tight though), and all is now quiet!! Thank god for that!!

Chris :)

User

Advanced Member
Thought i'd bump this rather than starting a new thread.

Got exactly the same problem!

Does anyone know the torque setting of the retaining nut on the top of the strut (if there is one)?

Thanks in advance.

DP.

Advanced Member
im also getting a knocking noise sometimes and the nut is tight! :s

User

Advanced Member
Yep, got an allen key and socket on mine and both sides are tight.

I spose we've got to just accept the suspension is rock hard and it will make sounds. I may get someone to put mine up on a ramp and have a look around but from what I can see everything is tight as it can be.

Thing is sometimes mine makes the knock, sometimes it doesn't but its definately a knock when i go over a bump or manhole cover or similar. I wonder if it could possily be the front end of the exhaust catching something? Long shot really though, it does seem susp related.