DC5 General drive quality query

jedge66

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at purchasing a DC5 integra. I currently have the DC2 which I love but I feel the need to change to the DC5. I test drove my first dc5 today........I was expecting good speed and great handling like the dc2 HOWEVER.......I found that when I put my foot down the it was a fight to keep the car in a straight line.....now I'm all for speed but it needs to have an element of control. It was experiencing severe wheel spinning in first and second.

Is this the norm?

The car had a couple of mod's, there was adjustable suspension which the seller told me was not set up how he'd have it as it the camber was off and it gripped the road too much.....hmmmm too much, me thinks too little. Other than that it just had an induction kit, new exhaust and alloys.

Am I just soft or was something a little off?

Ta

garytc78

Advanced Member
Doesn't sound right mate it could be that it needs the suspension setting up but that could cost you a couple of hundred so if you can knock a few bob of the price it could be worth getting and then get the suspension sorted :)

jedge66

That's what I thought, maybe I should go try another with normal suspension.....just gotta wait till I find 1 close by now :?

Other than that I thought £13k for a 2004 pre facelift with 28000 miles on the clock was alrite?

There was a minor tear in drivers seat but all in all looked quite clean and tidy. Can you get replacement red dc5 seats from recaro?

giandc5

Advanced Member
I think youll find that the dc5 tramlines quite a bit more than the dc2 on a straight bumpy road but not dangerously so & should not wheelspin in the dry. Sounds like its not set up properly.

Im considering selling mine if your interested though its slightly older but in very good condition. Pm me if your interested.

celox performance

Advanced Member
If the wheels have too much negative camber and toe out then the wheels will spin even in the dry, especially with some engine mods. I've got 2.5 degrees of neg camber on mine and toe out front/rear and the car is not very stable on the road now. Also if the car's been lowered a lot then that wouldn't help matters either.

carfiend

Advanced Member
If someone put cheapo tyres on it I wouldn't buy it as it shows a penny pinching attitude that might of carried over to over parts of the car.

:xtsk:

linzi94

Advanced Member
my dc5 was totally standard when i collected it and upon hammering it in second gear on the test drive (with bridgestone re040 all round) i found myself holding onto the steering wheel to keep it straight.

4 years later, spoon springs and a 3rd set of tyres (P7000) it does the same. doesnt bother or worry me.

George K

Advanced Member
As an every day road car the low mileage 2005 version that I bought (absolutely standard) was amazingly civilised - drove it from Scotland to Berkshire in one go with no problems. My proper every day car is a comfortable boring barge, so the comparison is valid. The only complaint was that on cold tyres the back would let go with minimal provocation, even after adjusting the geometry and changing the tyres. I use it mainly for hill climbing and so have changed to AST coil overs - still fine for the road and long journeys.

linzi94

Advanced Member
George K said:
The only complaint was that on cold tyres the back would let go with minimal provocation
i found this with Toyo T1S, it was like cornering with baking trays under the back wheels... in all conditions.

George K

Advanced Member
linzi94 said:
George K said:
The only complaint was that on cold tyres the back would let go with minimal provocation
i found this with Toyo T1S, it was like cornering with baking trays under the back wheels... in all conditions.

I did a test and found that on hot rear tyres the problem went away, but that is something you will rarely achieve on the road
Think that it is a spring/damper issue (the rear springs have a massive rising rate characteristic which the coil overs do not). With the AST the problem has gone completely (same geometry and tyres but lower ride height) - never think about the tail stepping out now - gained 3 secs in 50 as a result!

Jimmy Mc

I find that mine constantly wants to drag me off the road. I've named it "HedgeHunter". I have to give it white knuckle grip on back roads under full throttle, even then it thrashes around when it grips lines, changes in tarmac etc but i'm assuming it's the modifications coupled with the diff. As for wheelspin, I get no traction in 1st, it spins a bit through second too. In the wet 1st-3rd are pretty useless and have even had it fully lit up in 4th when going uphill before.

Love it though 8)

Jimmy