DC5 Handling on Eibach Pro with frsu

Hi all, just bought a DC5 in ML. Car is known on Pistonheads, not really searched for the previous owner on here though

DSCF7021 by Michael Goodwin, on Flickr

Ive got upgrade-itus as usual with any car. One thing I dont really like is the ride height.

Normally I'd leave suspension alone so a bit wary - but I read what people call the FRSU (Eibach Pro or similar plus camber adjustments with a typical setup) is rated very highly, but with lowering springs I am very very sceptical. I dont want to end up with a car that bits the bump stops or bounces back and forth like a boat on waves.

What Im asking ... Is the handling actually good on them with this FRSU, or would I be better stumping up for some Bilstein B14's as the 'softer' setup might be a better option for coping with the more uneven surfaces on UK roads. Ive noticed the stock suspension can have a tendency to jump about on really poor roads.

Looks wise, its this sort of stance I'd be satisfied with, this is basically the money shot for me with a DC5

Honda Integra Type R DC5 by George Pritchard, on Flickr

Ill get some B14's bought if thats the better option, but if Eibach Pros genuenly do handle well then it might be worth saving the difference.

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Honestly, Eibach pro springs drive really nicely. That harsh, bouncy handling you're describing is more akin to something super rigid (think coilovers).

Undoubtedly, a set of Bilstein's will be wonderful to drive on. SamDC5 has them iirc, shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you his thoughts.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I have eibach springs and don't find the ride that bad. But depends on what your are used to, I don't find the teg more uncomfortable (suspension wise) than my audi A4 with s-line suspension

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I'm currently running Bilstein B14's on my DC5. My car is primarily a road car so I was in the same boat as you were. I did a lot of research and I spoke to multiple people regarding a setup for the 'road'.

The Eibach Pro setup is very good, if you want a cheaper alternative then they're brilliant. They do give a bit of reverse rake which means the rear of the car sits lower than the front. Some people aren't bothered about this whereas others are.

The Bilsteins are without a doubt the best set up you could have for a road car. They're very complient, it's actually comfier than the original setup while making the car more stable and gives a great turn in. The difference between the B14 and B16 is the B16's have adjustable damping. Thinking forward as I'm now using my car for a few track days I wish I had gone for the 16's so I can turn the damping up for track.

They're awesome coilovers, you can't really go wrong with Bilstein. For reference, in the photos is my car. The fronts are as low as they will go. I love mine on the road, it doesn't feel skittish or unsettled even going down bumpy B roads. They transformed my car for the road.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks all, Sam especially! Ive been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am settled on B14's so Ill grab a set, I will run them as high as I can for the sake of suspension travel. I also need just the track rod ends for an EP3 as I understand it? not sure what the 1mm washers are all about? I also need some camber bolts, maybe some adjustable rear arms I guess?

Was going to get TGM to fit/do a fast road setup but been a nightmare to get hold of as I want a new clutch fitting. I think ill just fit myself and take somewhere like Torque Developments.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Bathroom_Security said:
Thanks all, Sam especially! Ive been doing a lot of reading on this forum and I am settled on B14's so Ill grab a set, I will run them as high as I can for the sake of suspension travel. I also need just the track rod ends for an EP3 as I understand it? not sure what the 1mm washers are all about? I also need some camber bolts, maybe some adjustable rear arms I guess?

Was going to get TGM to fit/do a fast road setup but been a nightmare to get hold of as I want a new clutch fitting. I think ill just fit myself and take somewhere like Torque Developments.
If you take them to be fitted at TGM or the likes they'll know what washers you need for the rear.

Yes you'll need EP3 track rod ends mate. I'd also buy new top mounts which are around £25 each for the sake of refreshing them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

nails

Advanced Member
Bathroom_Security said:

Best time to get hold of Tom at TGM is about 8:30am, he is usually sat in the office around then. They really know their stuff when it comes to these cars.

loud945

I had TGM supply and fit my b14's with a frsu. Couldn't be happier with them.
Tom said to me that the advantage of having them order for you is if there are any warranty issues (hopefully not) then Tom would be able to chase up Bilstein on your behalf

Thanks I've ordered them elsewhere now

I may fit them myself but don't get What the 1mm washer is about? Mounts are smaller so need 2x 1mm washers for ep3 coilovers. Where abouts exactly?

e/ - either side of the strut mount at the rear, makes sense!

I will probably fit them myself

Wondering if I should have bought caster adjustable mounts now having read handling threads on here with coilovers. I will not be lowering it more than 30mm (as high as it can run)