dc5 lsd VS spoon lsd

parksy340

Advanced Member
what are the pros and cons of both lsd's :xconfused:
recently put a spoon one in my girlfriends ctr and think its awesome compared to standard
also would quaife be worthwhile

cheers

12T

Advanced Member
Hi i have drove/tested all 3 lsd's.
Oem lsd is better than no lsd as u can feel it pull u around the corners with mild understeer.

Quaife lsd cant really tell the difference between the OEM dc5 lsd :? it is silent compared to spoon.

Spoon lsd very aggressive very loud clunking noise that can irritate most people, also some ppl would think that your car is broken lol. The cornering is unbelievable! this lsd will pull your front end to make you oversteer even with worn tyres! So do not floor it around a high speed bend. Too aggressive for road use if no experience in driving fast.

HTH :wink:

Russ

acepty

Advanced Member
12T said:
Hi i have drove/tested all 3 lsd's.
Oem lsd is better than no lsd as u can feel it pull u around the corners with mild understeer.

Quaife lsd cant really tell the difference between the OEM dc5 lsd :? it is silent compared to spoon.

Spoon lsd very aggressive very loud clunking noise that can irritate most people, also some ppl would think that your car is broken lol. The cornering is unbelievable! this lsd will pull your front end to make you oversteer even with worn tyres! So do not floor it around a high speed bend. Too aggressive for road use if no experience in driving fast.

HTH :wink:

Russ
also correct me if I'm wrong, but the Spoon is a clutch type Differential so it might need maintenance from time to time, were the oem/quaife won't...

jay82

Advanced Member
is the spoon lsd not the same as honda crv or it could be the spoon final drive
i just :xconfused: myself

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
STD, Quaife, wavetrac, Torque biasing type
std- quiet, mediocre performance can still spin inside wheel when cornering and wont work if one wheel is off the floor better than nowt-
Quaife- quiet similar operation to oem, slightly better performance but still can spin wheel
Wavetrac- as both above

Spoon, Kaaz, J's etc, plate type diffs
Noisy, clunking and banging when turning at low speed, can snatch when cruising, BUT ultimate performance, no spinning inside wheels and still drive when one wheel is airborne. very aggressive for road use and not for the faint hearted, They need maintenance but only every couple of years, if its a track car it probably never will need looking at as it wont do enough miles.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Just to add the Wavetrac is a hybrid type so has clutch plates as well but it requires no additional maintenance like the Spoon and Kazz etc

I found it to be quite a step up from the standard LSD but then i've not driven with a pure clutch type so i can't really compare

sinbad

Advanced Member
i fancy upgrading the diff as im running more power, what would people recommend?
i dont want a plated diff, so i was thinking of the wavetrac.

quafe is supposedly quite similar to oem.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if you are not racing the oem is fine whatever the power, you can spend the £800 on brakes, suspension or driving lessons.

sinbad

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
if you are not racing the oem is fine whatever the power, you can spend the £800 on brakes, suspension or driving lessons.
Si, can i not do all of them AND the diff?

i know you only mean well but just after advice on the diff, preferably from people who have upgraded.

wavetrac and mfactory both look interesting.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Paul at TDI North seems to highly recommend the Wavetrac which is why i went for that in the end.

Plus i know he was only making 1p profit on the diff itself aswell :lol: as he makes his dosh on the fitting so he wouldn't be recommending them without good reason i wouldn't have thought.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
sinbad, what i am saying is dont bother with the diff as the others arnt any better than the oem unless you are racing. I have had a spoon in my car and driven cars with all the others so have plenty of experience. save your £800 and spend it on something else.

for a long time the majority of diffs people like TDi fitted were to civics because they dont come with one from the factory, theres not many folk with upgraded diffs in dc5's.