DC5 Noob: From Award Winning Scene Queen to Race Car!

420jamesowen

Hello Team! :xwavey:

My Name is James, I'm from Fareham (South Coast UK), and I have recently purchased a Artice Blue DC5.

Some of you may already know me, or atleast my car, from the car scene already. I was the first guy to bag a R57 in the UK (and potentially europe). The MINI had a good few show seasons but I soon got bored of air ride, audio, and scene points and made the switch to buy a Teg.

Here are two shots of the MINI! :

So yeah I purchased the Teg around 2 weeks back now so of you may already know it as I believe its had a few previous owners. I can only imagine the Teg was modified to a high standard by an owner then gradually unloved as its been passed around. My aim is to change that though and give her the love she needs. She is my daily (70 motorway miles a day), and I'm looking to make her my own to personalise the already nice spec. Eventually I'll boost her but my mortage deposit is my first priority.

Heres the Teg on the day of purchase (with the misses it was our 2 year anni) :xking:

Gave it a clean up and posed at a nice spot:

Then on day 2 or 3 this happened!! the bloody bumper comes off as I'm driving :xangry: :xangry:

Also VTEC stopped working with the EML light on.

Since all this I have had the idle control valve adjusted and the VTEC is back :xvtec:

The car is booked in for spray work including more then just the rear bumper on Sept 12th to try fix other areas which need work :xrockout:

Other then this I still love the car I have a print out of 242.7bhp and I'm loving all these new ponies compared to the heavy audio and air ride filled mini!! I hope to make some new friends and get some ideas to make the Teg my own. I'm currently looking at the Skunk2 Megapower RR exhaust hoping the silencer is enough to kill the drone but am in limbo..

MatthewM

Nice mate, absolute gutter about the rear bumper!

I have a Fujitsubo RM01A and it's nice and quiet unless you are booting it, perhaps another option?

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Welcome James, am down the road in Gosport there are a few of us about too shame about the bumper hope you get it fixed soon.

Phil r type

Advanced Member
hello mate , I'm from Fareham ! had my blue one for 4 years and now got a white fl. let me know if you ever want to meet up, like gordy says there are a few of us about :)

muffinman

Advanced Member
Ah so this was yours.... saw it at beaulieu and recognised the reg!

Then wondered what on earth happened to the bumper!

I bought a blue one because they were rarer than the white ones.... now there's too many around!

kingcobwidley

Advanced Member
Do you fareham guys ever go to portsmouth? Owned mine for 3 years and I only ever see 1 dc5 near fratton prison. Mugen spoiler, black bonnet

newyorkaddict

Advanced Member
Hey there, glad to see my old car has been passed onto loving hands. I had heard rumours of it being written off after it left me. I swapped it for a Skyline GTST as i'd moved into more of the drifting side of cars, but I always had a soft spot for my old Teg, by the way his names Ben after a friend who passed away, and it came from a guy in Scotland who strangely lived in Hatton Cottages, something I only found out after buying it. I'll be watching this thread with a keen eye :D

420jamesowen

MatthewM said:
Nice mate, absolute gutter about the rear bumper!

I have a Fujitsubo RM01A and it's nice and quiet unless you are booting it, perhaps another option?
I'm still a massive beginner with engines and jap parts coming from two 206's and then the Mini! So I still need to do some research but I'll have a look at the part thanks! Oh and hello!! :)

420jamesowen

Gordydc5 said:
Welcome James, am down the road in Gosport there are a few of us about too shame about the bumper hope you get it fixed soon.
Sure thing bud that would be awesome! Would be great to meet some fellow Teg owners and learn as much as possible!

420jamesowen

Phil r type said:
hello mate , I'm from Fareham ! had my blue one for 4 years and now got a white fl. let me know if you ever want to meet up, like gordy says there are a few of us about :)
Yeah buddy I'm always keen to meet new people and enthusiasts we will have to make an event or something my Facebook is Facebook.com/sirjamesowen (don't ask why the sir)

420jamesowen

dc5mnw said:
Do you fareham guys ever go to portsmouth? Owned mine for 3 years and I only ever see 1 dc5 near fratton prison. Mugen spoiler, black bonnet
We need to around a mini DC5 meet up portsdown soon!

420jamesowen

newyorkaddict said:
Hey there, glad to see my old car has been passed onto loving hands. I had heard rumours of it being written off after it left me. I swapped it for a Skyline GTST as i'd moved into more of the drifting side of cars, but I always had a soft spot for my old Teg, by the way his names Ben after a friend who passed away, and it came from a guy in Scotland who strangely lived in Hatton Cottages, something I only found out after buying it. I'll be watching this thread with a keen eye :D
I intend to bring this Teg back to beauty as you can see with the mini I'm very OCD and passionate! She's in good hands! I've noticed signs it may have been involved in a dink and restored which is why I think the rear bumper flew off after clearly having a respray as it was flat and polished. I need someone who repairs seats though! Any ideas? I have named him Teddy lol. And yeah I sadly love that because race car sticker! I'm still on the hunt for parts to make her my own. I want to get her near mint by replacing untidy badges and side stickers (£50 each for genuine ones talk about scene tax) and then maybe a snap off wheel, new exhaust system and wheels for now. Then boosting and larger things to come... Eventually

p1tse

Advanced Member
Welcome

Think I recognise it from when I was looking, less than 2 years ago and it looked really good back then, and from pics still looks good but like you said just needs a bit of tlc

kyle'87

Advanced Member
Welcome James,

I'm not to far away in Poole, I'll be sure to flash if I see you coming!

420jamesowen

kyle'87 said:
Welcome James,

I'm not to far away in Poole, I'll be sure to flash if I see you coming!
I'll be sure to wave to any DC5 owner! the mini family were fond of this :xwavey:

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Was going to look at this one myself but was told someone was already coming up to look and he would let me know if it didn't sell, never heard anything back so that must of been you!

She looks beautiful apart from that rear bumper 😭 unlucky with that one man!

As you may have a guessed I'm a new owner too and not far from you in Christchurch so if you ever fancy a meet, would be great to bounce some ideas around!

420jamesowen

DC5Noob said:
Was going to look at this one myself but was told someone was already coming up to look and he would let me know if it didn't sell, never heard anything back so that must of been you!

She looks beautiful apart from that rear bumper unlucky with that one man!

As you may have a guessed I'm a new owner too and not far from you in Christchurch so if you ever fancy a meet, would be great to bounce some ideas around!
That would be me then :) Few niggly bits I've found with her and obviously the rear bumper was a sting but its given me more of an excuse to get even more paint work done to restore this beauty.

I assume you picked up a championship white one then going from your profile pic?

Yeah sweet man judging by this thread there is a few of us about I'll try make an event for a local meet and see how many we can get together?

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Yeah picked up a lovely cw, been really well looked after but as you say when you start looking there is lots I want to do to her!

I was going to do exactly that on the forum later. Post a possible meet in the newforest or something, nice drive and a bit of food?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk