DC5 or JDM EP3?

olliemk1

Hi guys, I'm in the market for either of the above...I previously had a DC2 and absolutely loved the thing, should never have sold it if I'm honest! I really can't decide which to go for though. If I'm honest the only factor that splits them at the moment is looks (in favour of the DC5), but the EP3 does have that rarity factor...

Not sure if any of you guys have any experience of the JDM EP3, but if anyone does and could give me any pointers that would be great.

I'm sure plenty of you had DC2s...how would you say the two cars compare?

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
Hey Ollie, welcome aboard, have you got a chance of test driving the JDM EP3, too right on the rarity factor, i've never even seen one ha ha

olliemk1

hello mate... I might be able to - I live just down the road from Bristo imports direct. They had one for ages and I often see the guy driving it these days. Maybe they'd be able to put me in touch :lol: :lol:

I'm erring towards a DC5 at the moment, simply because I've fancied one for a while :)

conoroneill

Advanced Member
A big factor in choosing the right one in my opinion would be whether or not the JDM EP3 has electric power steering (like the UKDM one) or hydraulic (like the DC5). Maybe someone on here knows the answer to this?

I owned a UKDM EP3 and liked it but the steering was just so light and numb. There was little to no feedback through the steering wheel at all. The DC5 steering is fantastic. The only drawback being that it's quite heavy to park. A small price to pay I reckon.

LeeH

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
A big factor in choosing the right one in my opinion would be whether or not the JDM EP3 has electric power steering (like the UKDM one) or hydraulic (like the DC5). Maybe someone on here knows the answer to this?

I owned a UKDM EP3 and liked it but the steering was just so light and numb. There was little to no feedback through the steering wheel at all. The DC5 steering is fantastic. The only drawback being that it's quite heavy to park. A small price to pay I reckon.
Funny that, I found my EP3 a pig to park. When the revs dropped the steering locked up :roll:

olliemk1

Right, well I've ruled out the EP3, so that's a start.

I think I've got decide how much practicality I need, because there are other options like the Elise 111s and VX220 Turbo.

Evos are out because of insurance and running costs (I'm 24), a small part of me fancies a TVR but the same applies and there are reliability issues.

Thing is the DC2 did EVERYTHING so well, it was such a good compromise. All it needed was a 6th ratio for motorways. If the DC5 gives as much feedback and thrills then it's got to be the obvious option...

tara

Advanced Member
I am not just saying it because i own one but the DC5 just looks so much better than the EP3 IMO and that would do it for me :wink: as there would be almost nothing to split them on performance and the driving position is so much better in the DC5 IMO again, good luck.

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
All you need to do now then is get a decent test drive in a DC5, not just a quick run about, but a good go at it, and to try everything you enjoyed doing in the DC2, you wont be disappointed, you'll love the grip! :)

olliemk1

exactly what i plan to do :!:

I've oly ever sat in one before (Raffe's) and the driving position is superb. I think I'll love it to be honest :lol:

st33ly

Olie you mean i wish i should never have sold my car to you? Wish i never got rid of the thing. It was so so clean. Never seen one in as good shape is what my one was!!!!

How's things?

Cheers Craig

st33ly

A guy JDM EP3 in Edinburgh passed me on drum brae last week and thats the first one i've seen and i must say it looked good but the paint looked cream rather than white!

olliemk1

st33ly said:
Olie you mean i wish i should never have sold my car to you? Wish i never got rid of the thing. It was so so clean. Never seen one in as good shape is what my one was!!!!

How's things?

Cheers Craig
Hey mate! Saw you post in the for sale section yesterday...funny how paths cross.

No I wish I'd never sold the DC2 to be honest - I never saw one as clean either, it really was a stunning car!

I'm all good... on the hunt for a DC5 now. It's the obvious choice :D How's life with you?

redcap

Advanced Member
For me the choice is easy, I had an EP3 Anniversary edition in Red which I loved and owned from new, it was mint!!! in some ways i think i was a fool to sell it but at the same time the DC5 is a better drive and is so much better looking!!!

I don't think you will be dissapointed with a DC5 but it is hard to find a good one for a reasonable price! There is a lot of poor ones out there so be careful. Good luck.

Raffe

Advanced Member
Dc5 from an EP3 is an easy decision to make, DC5 compared to a DC2 is much harder, especially now the DC2 offers so much value for money as the prices have dropped :)

Test drove a DC2 last week, the first time since selling mine 2 years ago and I instantly fell in love it with it again 8)

DC5 without doubt looks far better, is a nicer interior space to be in but it just doesn't quite make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up like the older model did, obvioulsy IMO :)

Shame you never got a drive of mine Ollie, get a test drive and you'll know what you want to do :wink:

olliemk1

Raffe said:
Dc5 from an EP3 is an easy decision to make, DC5 compared to a DC2 is much harder, especially now the DC2 offers so much value for money as the prices have dropped :)

Test drove a DC2 last week, the first time since selling mine 2 years ago and I instantly fell in love it with it again 8)

DC5 without doubt looks far better, is a nicer interior space to be in but it just doesn't quite make the hairs on the back of the neck stand up like the older model did, obvioulsy IMO :)

Shame you never got a drive of mine Ollie, get a test drive and you'll know what you want to do :wink:
I think that's the only way to do it...if it doesn't excite me like the DC2 then that'll have to be the way to go :)

If only you'd held onto yours for another month or so! Anyone in Bristol fancy letting me take their's out? :lol:

neilhowe

hello mate... I might be able to - I live just down the road from Bristo imports direct. They had one for ages and I often see the guy driving it these days. Maybe they'd be able to put me in touch
We are Car Imports Direct in Bristol and we have imported a few JDM EP3's. We are also the only owners of the model report for the EP3 - www.model-reports-direct.com

One of the previous staff working here bought one for his personal use - which is always a good sign of a good car. He has since sold it to a friend so I will see if it is possible to get in touch.

However, they did prove difficult to sell - we had one model in stock for over 6 months. I think mainly due to the fact that they were so much more exspensive than the UK equivalent model. There will always be the enthusiasts who are willing to pay the extra - but then always bear in mind that this will be a very limited market when you come to sell the car. Most dealerships will value your imported EP3 at less money than a UK model if you decided to part exchange!

I would personally go for the DC5. It drives better, looks better and should be a safer bet when you decided to sell.

st33ly

Andy @ 200bhp cars will bring one into the country for you. I was down speaking to him about one but since i seen one in edinburgh last week it's made me think. Anyone know who it is??

Olie am fine mate on the hunt for a new motor too. Am thinking S2k or lotus 111s elise! Not sure, kind of want a convertable to go traveling to italy france next year.

olliemk1

neilhowe said:
hello mate... I might be able to - I live just down the road from Bristo imports direct. They had one for ages and I often see the guy driving it these days. Maybe they'd be able to put me in touch
We are Car Imports Direct in Bristol and we have imported a few JDM EP3's. We are also the only owners of the model report for the EP3 - www.model-reports-direct.com

One of the previous staff working here bought one for his personal use - which is always a good sign of a good car. He has since sold it to a friend so I will see if it is possible to get in touch.

However, they did prove difficult to sell - we had one model in stock for over 6 months. I think mainly due to the fact that they were so much more exspensive than the UK equivalent model. There will always be the enthusiasts who are willing to pay the extra - but then always bear in mind that this will be a very limited market when you come to sell the car. Most dealerships will value your imported EP3 at less money than a UK model if you decided to part exchange!

I would personally go for the DC5. It drives better, looks better and should be a safer bet when you decided to sell.
Thanks Neil - I've pretty much settled for a DC5 now I think :)

Do you have any coming in in the near future at all?

I saw the EP3 sat on your forecourt for ages! I suppose to the average CTR buyer they do appear somewhat overpriced.