DC5 or new shape Civic Type R?

cfoster

Advanced Member
Thanks for all the replies guys, especially Fubar Andy, thanks ;)!! I drove one Friday and what you have explained above pretty much sums it up. Seating position was the first thing I noticed. Coming straight out of my SL into that it felt like I was on stilts, DC5 definitely has a better position. Felt fairly nippy, clutch was light, gearbox felt a bit notchy (common and pretty much unfixable on FN2s...), dashboard looked modern but kind of confused me as to where I was looking?!! I'm still completely undecided but swaying back to a DC5 now, I'd like to test drive an Astra VXR as well just to see what they are like, and also try another DC5 again as its been a couple of years since being in one!!

Cheers
Chris

chrex

Advanced Member
Dont get the VXR - they are common as muck, are bland inside and just generally arent cool. You'll end up with a DC5, thats where its at...and everyone loves them. I had family members who've never had any interest in my previous cars comment on how nice my teg looks and that it looks like its doing 60mph when parked outside. :p They are where it's at, and you know it! ;)

cfoster

Advanced Member
lol Im not sure what was going through my head when I saw a VXR,,,,!! Looking at a DC5 this afternoon so fingers crossed i'll have my third ITR on the drive in no time!!

hussain124

Advanced Member
lol Im not sure what was going through my head when I saw a VXR,,,,!! Looking at a DC5 this afternoon so fingers crossed i'll have my third ITR on the drive in no time!!
Drove a Vxr it was fast but so boring to drive .dc5 is the way forward .have you found a dc5 yet ?

cfoster

Advanced Member
Yup found a DC5 and put a deposit on it at the weekend! Picking up this week hopefully, can't wait, fedup of putting fuel in the merc its killing me!!

Sgtscotty182

Advanced Member
I wish the styling of the fn2 was in the teg but with some of the teg bits still there...if you know what I mean. I'm curious about the new Astra Vxr too as I am a former Vxr owner/enthusiast who slated the old Astra for poor handling due to torque steer and no LSD.

Out of curiosity, I the DC5 not better on fuel that the FN2 as its around 200kg lighter and revs less in 6th at 70?

Sgtscotty182

Advanced Member
Good to see that people wanted to reply to this.... Whoa...hold on guys...one post at a time, dont all queue up to post at once. *tumble weed rolls past*

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
FD2's are underwelming in the flesh, I don't know why people get all worked up over them (must be cos its JDM y0!)

Bonito

Advanced Member
FN2 is a nice place to sit if you like the S2000-esque dash display. Nice and smoothe to drive but crossover into VTEC is softer than two bits of cotton wool ridin' each other.

DC5 has more of a presence, looks nicer, and will put a smile on your face.

At the end of the day, people seeing you coming in a FN2 will think "WTF is this civic doing?"

On the flip side, if you want a quick enough, discreet, gentle road car that is nowhere near as fun as other 2.0 hot hatches, get the FN2. :D

TBH the diesel 2.2 FN2 with a remap would be better IMO. :D

Jaybo

I think you have made the right choice. I went to look at a few FN2's before I bought my Teg. I found the looks started to grow on me after looking at the first one and I really liked the interior, as well as all they gadgets inside. But when I drove it I was a bit under-welmed. It didn't feel fast and it was so quiet that I could barely tell it was in Vtec. Next day I went to look at my DC5 had a "love at first sight moment" and as they say the rest is history.