DC5 OR S2K?

gannondc5

Advanced Member
Trying to decide sold my dc5 over a year ago and would buy one again as im in a position to afford one again but rear wheel drive and vtec are very tempting also heard s2k are a handfull to drive on the limit i dont need 4 seats as no kiddies as yet :)
but are they as fun is the main thing or are you worried your going to wrap it at every bend as i do drive my cars on a fair bit :twisted:

-Woody-

Advanced Member
If i didnt have a daughter and the S2K was just as unique as the DC5, id have one fo sure

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the s2000 is fun yes , but a pain in the ass if you want t do anything more than a short trip, when we have traveklled to europe for shows etc we have to pack the boot with individual items like you are packing a case with a sports bag flatpacked as well,
personally i would also say the dc5 was just as quick if not quicker in std form and easier to mod, the f20 motor of the s2000 doesnt respond that well to mods like the k20 does.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Ive looked at this many times the dc5 wins all time -

practicality
fuel economy
ease to drive quickly
easy to mod
rarer
quicker

s2000 +'s

rwd
gearbox slightly better than dc5 imo
slightly better build quality
technically better suspension

If i was buying for a 2nd car id have a s2000 for my sole car dc5 all day...

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I'm in the lucky position to have both.
The two cars are completely different in my opinion so it's hard to choose.

The DC5 is easier to drive fast. It's more economical and easier to modify.
I feel my DC5 also has more torque. I can travel around town at 25mph in 6th where as the S2000 can't go into 6th until 30mph.
The DC5 is also more practical.

You don't have any kids (yet) so if you don't get an S2000 just now you might never get one. You won't regret either :D

cpoh

Advanced Member
In ireland the s2k would be rarer than the DC5 and looks better too but the main drawbacks for me would be the space and the fact that early models are very twitchy in the wet and back road poor surfaces - something we have in abundance over here!

The s2000 driven properly would be quicker than the DC5 i would imagine, it certainly feels quicker in a straight line but that could be the seating position and the fact that you are so low to the road.

hondafreek

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:

The DC5 is easier to drive fast. It's more economical and easier to modify.
I feel my DC5 also has more torque. I can travel around town at 25mph in 6th where as the S2000 can't go into 6th until 30mph.
The DC5 is also more practical.

You don't have any kids (yet) so if you don't get an S2000 just now you might never get one. You won't regret either :D
Ditto, fortunate enough to have both. So different. If I had to pick.... I really don't know if I could!

Yes, I know the S2K need lowering, spring are in the boot!

chadwick

Advanced Member
ive owned both (currently the dc5) but id say the dc5 is a far far better car, i struggle to find any faults atol with my dc5 , but the s2k i could name loads , the main one that anoyed me was if you left it out in the rain when you got in it you got soaked from all the water that had gathered in the rubbers , has to be the dc5 for me

Grov

Banned
The DC5 will be easier to drive faster, thats for sure.

The S2000 is my fav cheapish sports car, somehow it manages to look awesome and not girly, hehe.

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
i sold my dc5 to get an s2k. As others have said they are very similair cars but at the same time so different. I personally love the soft top. Yes it is easier to drive the dc5 quicker and it is more forgiving but you always feel the s2k can go that bit quicker round bends. The recaros in the dc5 are by far the best seat i have ever sat in and i would love them in the s2k. Very similair power IMO. Very similair on fuel economy for me anyway, i am getting about 300 miles on the s2k which is about the same as the teg. if i didnt have the s2k i would have the teg and vice versa!!!

gannondc5

Advanced Member
i live in ireland so dc5,s are a very common sight id say i see less s2k,s i can always rob a bank and buy a cl7 euro r ,dc5 and s2k :lol: one for every situation

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
Every second garage in Ireland a few years back was a "jap" garage mate,and 90% of them were Cowboys,literally bringing in dirt!

Nowadays most of them have shut up due to the exchange rates and the "resession"

Theres plenty of them on the roads over here,all mainly white or blue

Iv had my red one the last year and have yet to meet another one on the road :D

That was a major factor when i was buying it,and the fact thats its the best colour :lol:

cpoh

Advanced Member
Grov said:
Why are DC5's so common in Ireland? Wierd.
The DC5 was made in massive numbers in japan, the only reason its not more common in the uk is because of your model report and stringent inport laws i would imagine.

In ireland cars like the dc2, dc5, ek9 and cl7 euro R are a dime a dozen. Skylines, supras, evos, imprezas all jap performance cars really are a common enough sight on our roads.

I would go with the s2000 gannon, its rare, smashing looking and unless you are lugging gear around or doing massive mileage the space wont be an issue.

TommyDC5

S2k if maintained well is a far better drivers car.
If you own an S2000 it will make you a better driver!
Id also advise on a limits day to get a feel for the car and just be careful in the wet. Only a tool thrashes a car in the wet anyway.
The geometry and tyres are probably the most important thing on an S2000 to make it drive well.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
TommyDC5 said:

What rot :lol:

My biggest gripe with the S2000 has got to be the steering, too light and no feel. I'm convinced it actually gets light as the speed increases :eek:

TommyDC5

VT-Doo said:
TommyDC5 said:

My biggest gripe with the S2000 has got to be the steering, too light and no feel. I'm convinced it actually gets light as the speed increases :eek:
You've clearly never owned an S2000!

Its not rot at all. You learn about what toe in/ out is for. Its a very progressive journey getting to know the handling of an S2000.
As for the light steering you obviously drove a car that needed the geo done. Mine was like this but needed the castor adjusting.The feel of the steering is now excellent.
In stock form both are great cars and I wouldnt say one is better than the other.
They are both extremely great cars and have both positives and negatives over the other.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
TommyDC5 said:
VT-Doo said:
TommyDC5 said:

AND YOU CLEARLY DON'T READ THREADS!

VT-Doo said:
A car will not make a person a good driver!

P.S. the geometry was done in March

teggy_dc5

Advanced Member
TommyDC5 said:
VT-Doo said:
TommyDC5 said:

Its not rot at all. You learn about what toe in/ out is for. Its a very progressive journey getting to know the handling of an S2000.
As for the light steering you obviously drove a car that needed the geo done. Mine was like this but needed the castor adjusting.The feel of the steering is now excellent.
In stock form both are great cars and I wouldnt say one is better than the other.
They are both extremely great cars and have both positives and negatives over the other.
:lol: fail

TommyDC5

My biggest gripe with the S2000 has got to be the steering, too light and no feel. I'm convinced it actually gets light as the speed increases :eek:[/quote]

You've clearly never owned an S2000![/quote]

AND YOU CLEARLY DON'T READ THREADS!

VT-Doo said:
A car will not make a person a good driver!

P.S. the geometry was done in March[/quote]

Stay off the steroids and weights!