Dc5 Prices

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Happy New Year everyone!!

Just thought i would share some news with you all that will effect the residual prices/values of your Dc5's on resale.

The Japanese Yen is currently at a 2 year High against the GBP. Its currently down to 215JPY to 1 GBP - To examplify this it means a 2 million Yen Car in Japan will cost £9,302.

November last year (so 8 weeks ago!) the JPY rate was 240 for 1GBP. This means 2million yen cost £8,333.

2 million Yen at auction cost is the average cost of a 2002 DC5 grade 4 or 4.5.

This means its just become £1000 more expensive to import your average DC5.

Bad for me and people looking to buy a DC5 from an importer....

Great for people looking to sell up who want the best possible price.

------------------------------------------------

As an additonal point of interest this increase in the JPY rate will be reflected in our fresh import prices - we only ever make an agent fee, therefore the price you pay determines alot on JPY currency value and market value of the Dc5's in Japan. Lets hope the prices of the DC5's fall in Japan to even out the JPY's strength against the pound.

Also lets hope the GBP doesnt get any weaker against the £££.

In 2000 the GBP was only buying a mere 150JPY. If the currency were to drop to this level again it would mean a Brand new FD2 increasing in price from £20,000 OTR to £29,000!!!! :shock:

burrelly7

On the positive side Andy hopefully it may stabilize the prices of current DC5's up for sale. As you will have already noticed they seem to have dropped in price quite a lot over recent months with some right dogs going for as little as 9k. If fresh imports hold a good price on entering the country it may work out for the better. Unless of course it ends up as per 2001 when as you say a modern day FD2 could cost 29k..... :( :(

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I think you can always ask a premium for a fresh import, they have lower mileage than the ones which have been in the UK for a while. Its just the long wait...........shipping+SVA+DVLA.

I don't also think that people can complain about the 2nd hand price of DC5's. Car prices are always lower at this time of year and people desperate to sell them drives the price down. DC5's hold their price very well, even for a 2001 example which has been abused and not well cared for are going for 45-50% of their original value and that is pretty amazing for a 6 year old car.

If you want an invesment get an ISA :shock:

morgan

Advanced Member
burrelly7 said:
right dogs going for as little as 9k.
This actually underlines the funny bubble that DC5 prices seem to fall in. They are an odd car for that.

Dont get me wrong, I just paid (Andy) ~60% of the new price for a 4.5 year old car. I consider that I have had a good buy ! Not many cars you can say that about...

The mere fact we think that 9K (Thats ~45%?) for a 'right dog' of a 6 or 7 year old car is 'too cheap' shows how weird this is ! I sold my 4.5 year old DC2 for ~7K and that was mint !

DC5 price land is an odd place - it'll pop at some point like anything else but Andys post makes very interesting reading. Couple it with his previous posts ref the number of DC5s available, their japenese desirability, and the auction prices creeping up too and you have a very interesting scenario.

It seems the DC5 bubble will be afloat for a while longer yet ! :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the price is driven lower all the time partly due to the amount available from traders now, when i got mine they were like hens teeth so the price was high, sadly since there are so many available now the price is lower than it should be for this type of car.
I am sure Andy and the others would like to make more per unit they sell but with folks banging them out on ebay at rock bottom prices its hard to compete.
unfortunatly for the guys who want to sell up it means they have to take quite a hit especially if they have had their cars fr a couple of years.

fonz600

Advanced Member
200BHPCARS said:
Happy New Year everyone!!

Just thought i would share some news with you all that will effect the residual prices/values of your Dc5's on resale.

The Japanese Yen is currently at a 2 year High against the GBP. Its currently down to 215JPY to 1 GBP - To examplify this it means a 2 million Yen Car in Japan will cost £9,302.

November last year (so 8 weeks ago!) the JPY rate was 240 for 1GBP. This means 2million yen cost £8,333.

2 million Yen at auction cost is the average cost of a 2002 DC5 grade 4 or 4.5.

This means its just become £1000 more expensive to import your average DC5.

Bad for me and people looking to buy a DC5 from an importer....

Great for people looking to sell up who want the best possible price.

------------------------------------------------

As an additonal point of interest this increase in the JPY rate will be reflected in our fresh import prices - we only ever make an agent fee, therefore the price you pay determines alot on JPY currency value and market value of the Dc5's in Japan. Lets hope the prices of the DC5's fall in Japan to even out the JPY's strength against the pound.

Also lets hope the GBP doesnt get any weaker against the £££.

In 2000 the GBP was only buying a mere 150JPY. If the currency were to drop to this level again it would mean a Brand new FD2 increasing in price from £20,000 OTR to £29,000!!!! :shock:
:evil: Thats not good news for me then.

LeeH

Advanced Member
Interesting read Andy :)

If the FD2 goes up anymore for any reason it won't be my next cat I'm afraid :(

DC5TU

Advanced Member
its about bloody time to be honest!

i think there are enough people on here or ex owners that have taken a big enough hit on there cars due to the ridiculous prices some traders have been punting them out at!

DC5TU

Advanced Member
cheers si

i know it sounds kinda biased coming from me, as i have lost money on both my cars, (£4.5k on the first in 9months!!!) but i know for a fact im not the only one seriously miffed about the past 18 months and the effect traders have had on private sales. especially one in particular!

fair play to you for being successful but spare a thought for the private sellers, losing money hand over fist!

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Thats not good news for me then.

I cant lie Jamie, its not great news but lets see what comes up when the
auctions start again on tuesday.

The JPY rate may recover when trading starts again on Monday the 7th, and/or the sale values of the EP3's/DC5's may drop a little to accomodate the JPY strenght against the pound.

Dont panic yet!!
:wink:

STU - Fair comment mate... Yen rate was at 10 year high in 2006/07 so it did mean alot of very competitivly priced imports coming in - which wasnt good for anyone looking to sell up who paid top dollar a couple of year ago.

keevster

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
i think there are enough people on here or ex owners that have taken a big enough hit on there cars due to the ridiculous prices some traders have been punting them out at!

Its life mate, the nature of the beast, dry the eyes and live with it :lol: :wink:

Paul

DC5TU

Advanced Member
keevster said:
DC5TU said:

Its life mate, the nature of the beast, dry the eyes and live with it :lol: :wink:

Paul
If these dealers actually put a bit more mark up on them to keep prices in line with the rest of the market it wouldnt have crashed like it did!

and, If your gonna try quote my own banter back to me, at least get it right, noob!
cheers

stu

:wink:

JohnnyC

DC5TU said:
If these dealers actually put a bit more mark up on them to keep prices in line with the rest of the market it wouldnt have crashed like it did!
DC5 market has crashed?
Hmmm, a car that's still over 50% of it's original value after 6 years :? :roll:

Just hope the MR2 market crashes like that when I sell it :p

Melly

Advanced Member
It's just a car. If you want to make an investment buy a house :lol:

Cheers
Melly