DC5 rust

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Those locations are not uncommon. The one you need to address asap will be the arches to make sure they don't spread beyond the lip of the arch.

Lewis93

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Those locations are not uncommon. The one you need to address asap will be the arches to make sure they don't spread beyond the lip of the arch.
Is it true that with rust in the arches it comes from the inside to the out so it's a lot deeper than the surface?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I guess as that's where the moisture and dirt sits inside. You'll struggle to find a teg unless you import a new one without any decay in that area though. Some people have then treated and then get a wax oil or equivalent in there to help slow it down but it's unavoidable :(

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

martinj46

Advanced Member
The DC2 often rusted from the inside across a lot of the panel, I don't think the DC5 suffers from that as badly, just the lip on the arch

davidpingu

Advanced Member
That's the worst I've seen personally.

I think you could get a lot better if you look around. I've seen surface rust in a lot of those places but to me that looks as though its got in a bit deeper than just on the surface. To look that bad on 65k it must have been near the coast or something. It begs the question, if thats what you can see, what is it that might be lurking unseen?

Rust worries me more than anything else. If your in it for the long haul I'd go elsewhere and look in all of the same locations before you hand over the cash. As soon as you get it, go straight down a garage you trust and get it waxoiled.

Unless that was very cheap and I had the time and facilities to completely strip it, I'd avoid it personally.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
The 2nd sheet is a japanese service sheet, not the import sheet. Look on torque gt for examples of service sheets on some of their import cars in the "showroom".

With the age of the DC5's now, and depending how long it has been in the country, rust could be an issue, as yours show. The rear arches do need attention before it gets significantly worse.

The lower strut bar in the engine bay between the chassis legs is a bugger for rust, same problem on the ep3, you can see by its design it 2 metal edges that will hold water, and the chassis brace is like a bucket almost and holds dirt and water being flung up from the wheel arches.

As for the rust in the engine bay, I would say that it is a poor example, could indicate either it has lived by the sea, or had the liner removed (allowing a lot of dirt into the engine bay) or just a engine bay that is never cleaned.

Also, look in the rear spare wheel well, lift the carpet, remove the spare wheel, try and look behind the carpet side trim etc to see what the rust is like in the boot from leaking rear light seals letting water in.

If you are seriously considering it, get it up on a ramp and have a proper look underneath before purchasing, and personally I'd run it past a bodyshop to get an idea on costs for the arches etc before purchasing too.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Fair enough if you dont want to say but how much is it and who is selling it. Have you got a link to an advert?

I'd really want to get it up on a ramp though and aany genuine buyer shouldn't have an issue with that. If they do you know they are hiding something!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
That's also the worst I have seen. These cars are getting old now but that looks like a lot of salt has hit the car and not been well looked after. It's hard to tell as you really need to see this in person but from the photos you have posted and quite honestly, your concern in the first place should ring alarm bells.

It's not the end of the world if you can get it properly treated ASAP.

Adam

tombakers

The car is 65k on a 52 plate and was imported in 2007 and has stayed in Scotland for all of this time.

I got him to send me some photos of the underside and it wasn't grea tbh.

I'm on my phone so hopefully photo works.

Shame cause car is running k pro with breathing mods.

I'm not going anywhere near it tbh. Look at the sill

Attachments

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Try not to let the mods draw you in mate. The important thing is the car itself. The other stuff will all come in time.

Completely my own opinion but think you've made the right decision. Time to look for the next one

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Think you've made the right decision there bud, doesn't look brilliant underneath at all.

Getting a good clean car is more important than mods at this stage, mods can be added easily

integraleo

Advanced Member
I'm getting my arches done in 3 weeks time,drivers side rear arch is getting worse and passenger side has just in last 2 months started showing signs of colour coming through. Also getting front bumper and bonnet and calipers done at the same time...there goes this year's bonus

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Just had mine undersealed. Was imported in 2006 and has 93k miles on the clock with no signs of rust anywhere. Better to be proactive than reactive though!

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Mine is an 01 with 86k miles been in the uk since 07 and only last year the left rear wheel arch began to rust, also had a lot of surface rust on the rear and stuff but I got it all cleaned and sealed.

rust isn't a big deal as long as you get it sorted early