DC5 that much better than CTR ??

GTITR

How much is this 300BHP conversion and what sort of forced induction is it? Supercharger? (like the Arial Atom?) ...Gary says taking this thread way off topic... :)

Oh, IMO the ITR if a far superior vehicle to the CTR. It simple drives much better (LSD, understeer/oversteer balance), better brakes, better seats, it is faster too (straight line by an appreciable but much faster out of corners) The CTR is a great car - but the 'Teg is a Fantastic one.

There, that's brought it back on thread again.

G.

Erm

Advanced Member
i'm talking standard and down to earth figures here!

that anyone would be able to get out of them :D

truffs

:oops: trying to save face here :lol:

Its a Greddy Turbo and bits and was done by Greddy in Japan before being shipped over. The whole conversion cost £6000 (not by me though!!!)

Try to get it back on thread as well now. Drove a CTR very good car couldn't knock it, just wanted something a little rarer and more exclusive.

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
I'm currently 50:50 torn between an EVO V (already had one) or the DC5. I will have a better idea when I actually drive the DC5 this week-end.
The evo will be more expensive to run, but has the 4WD grip and is about £2k cheaper (to cover the additional running costs). There are a few around with really low miles & no modifications (what I prefer).

So come on guys - give me your sales pitch as to why the DC5 is better ! (I know this is off topic, but I started the thread) !!!!!!

GTITR

Err... How about this... You are a lot less likely to find yourself lying on the roadside with a lump on your head, watching you car drive off with some scumbags in it, with a DC5.

I did a lot of research into EVO's about two years ago, but the thing that finished me off was going on to some EVO forums and doing a word search for "Car Jacking" or "Stolen". Far too many owners had there houses penetrated to obtain keys, or ended up either being car jacked or having to drive like hell to avoid it.

Coupe's don't have that sort of problem - it's a fact. You can't get four gun touting thugs in and out quick enough!, so it's no good for their "jobs". :shock:

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Before buying the DC5 I was looking at either an Evo VI, an Sti 6 Type-R, or the DC5.
Basically I chose the DC5 cause of the cheaper running costs, curvy looks, and exclusivivty!! 8) And TBH I haven't regretted it one bit, in fact it makes me smile every time I get in it and give it some serious VTEC action. :twisted:

My circumstances have now changed slightly, and I'll be running a daily driver to and from work....so I do fancy a tuned Evo VI, and would stomach the 13MPG as my weekend car!!!! :D

ROFL @ GTITR's reasoning. :lol:

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
I'm looking foward to driving one - I will know at once whether it's the next car for me.
I just used to get frustrated in my DC2 coming off roundabouts / out of T junctions in the damp or wet and getting nowt but wheelspin and having to back off the throttle.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Well, I won't lie...cause you will still have those same problems in wet greasy conditions, but I did used to have a DC2 and it feels like the LSD in the DC5 works even better. I can really feel it pulling the front end round tighter than the DC2's did. :D You'll just need to use that stoneage traction control system called your right foot!!! :wink:

Trikki Nikki

Few points to consider basicly

1. CTR are 10 a penny now, they are mass produced and have not had the same care and attention to detail put into them as the DC5.

2. Sadly due to the price of CTR's being so low. They are starting to bought by the max muppet brigade. Also cos there are so many of these things. Its gonna lose its value compared to the DC5

3. Steering in the CTR is crap, no feel at all. It has also been said the CTR is not a proper type R. No LSD, Engine not handfinished, and mass produced like anything. Honda have already sold 3 times there target sales figure :roll:

To be honest I think its no contest the DC5 is superior in every way, unless you have always wanted a 200BHP shoping trolley :lol:

However If you really have your heart set on a CTR go for the JDM one. comes with more agressive cams, hand finished engine and an LSD. :wink:

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
Went to see a DC5 today, loved it, but the dealer didn't want me to take it out ???? So I still can't compare until I drive one.

I think it will now be either an evo V which is cheaper to buy, but more expensive to run, and is looking old inside - or the DC5 which is more expensive to buy, cheaper to run and more modern inside.

I really can't split the two, but am really needing to drive a DC5 to help me decide !

truffs

Geofff where did you go?? Thats appauling its like marrying a women without giving her a test run i.e looks stunning, speaks well but get it to bed and its the biggest disappointment in the world :!: You cannot buy a car without a test drive of at LEAST 1/2 hour. If you are local to Bedford come down on the 5th Feb as there will be at least five of us with our DC5's all different spec etc (another + point as most DC5's have different body kits, spec packs etc which continues the exclustivity) and im sure we would all give you a spin both on track and on the road sp you can decide.
If a dealer did that with me i would walk away. For Christ sake you are an Evo owner not a NOVA boy :shock: Sorry thats the bee out of my bonnet for now it just disgusts me that we are expected to pay 15-17k and some people wont allow a test drive.....

gsrgeoff

Advanced Member
Aye - I was hacked off - I travelled about 30 miles to get there, and took my lass & a mate.
He was a personal importer, and it hadn't yet been SVA'd etc. I loved it, but when I asked for a test drive he said he didn't want to take it out and get it dirty as someone was coming up to see it tomorrow ??????

He also mentioned that he sells to the trade, so I presume it's a trader who's coming to see it, whereas I didn't have the cash - although I would have asked about a p/x but he was just really vague about every question I asked and showed absolutely no interest in wanting to even sell the car ????????

Bedford is quite some way for me - I'd love to come down - thanks but not the way money is for me at the moment.

If I sell my EVO I may consider flying down to Bristol where there seems a lot of DC5's, and the flights are only about £20 each way from Newcastle.

truffs

Sorry Geoff didn't realise you were from Newcastle that would be one hell of a road trip :D Reading the Track post at the mo i think someone may be filming us on track (hopefully not off track!!) and this may help you although thats in three weeks time and you will probably have made your mind up by then :wink:

T666YPR

gsrgeoff said:
when I asked for a test drive he said he didn't want to take it out and get it dirty as someone was coming up to see it tomorrow ??????.
If you don't buy from them,it serves them right :evil:

It always amazes me how "First Impressions" count!!

How are they to know that you can't afford their little toy?

The fact you showed up in your Mitsi they should know better :evil:

If,or when,you get your DC5 make sure you drive it onto their forecourt and rub their noses into the dirt!!

Take your money elsewhere,blooming snobs :x

Simon

GTITR

That's crazy talk! You turn up in a EVO - ask for a test drive and he said NO?? That does not make any sense.

When I went to Litchfield Imports, Iain had two cars in at the time, a blue one and a black one. Both of them were not SVA'ed at the time, but he still put trade plates on the black one and let me take it out on a nice long test drive (which I then bought). It's really not good business to do what that chap did. For all he knew you could have put down a deposit then and there! I could have maybe understood if you turned up in an EVO with a broken quarter light and no keys! :wink:

Ho hum... The last time I heard about anything like that was when I went to Motor Point with a friend of mine and the salesman said he could not have a test drive in the Puma he was looking at unless he was going to buy the car... I laughed out loud and said "Err.. but that's not a test drive, that him driving his OWN CAR!!" :D

Duncs

i had only seen 2 DC5s ever before i bought mine, both at Castle combe jap fest, a year apart though,
i had never driven a honda of any shape or size before i picked mine up from the docks at southampton, and i had owned a 4wd jap missile, it was just i had to have one, i have no regrets at all, what a car !!!!
i done all my homework on the net, and talked to people, just down load some track driving vids from this forum, that will help !!! :D

sims_delight

tbh they are much of a muchness in everyday scenarios. The evo test (think that's about 3 years old now) actually preferred the DC2. I recall though that the DC5 and EP3 performed practically identically during the various tests they carried out with the EP3 being better in certain situations and DC5 in others (but we are talking tenth of a seconds here :wink: ).

Also the set up of the CTR is more tailored towards UK roads than the DC5 (although that is not really saying much :wink: ).