DC5 to an EP3, am i mad?

mike.williams

Advanced Member
been thinking about getting rid of the teg for the last two days,

reason being is i want a track/weekend car (with a view of doing sprints and hill climbs), and i want a reliable fairly economical car for everyday.

due to what the teg is worth, i dont/cant bring myself to turning into a more track focused car even though that was my original plan. its my only car and eventually something will break whilst im on track and ill be stuffed getting to work the following day. its around 90k miles on it now.

so my plan is to get an ep3 for around £2.5k, strip it out (and eventually cage it), swap over my coils (with a bit of work) and my new wheels. with money left over to go towards a newer car, probably a crz. if anything breaks or needs doing to the civic (like the addition of an lsd gearbox) i can do it myself as i wont need it for work.

sound logical?

mike

hondazzz

Advanced Member
I say...do it.

I would if i had the funds,the parking space and wanted more than just occational track day racing.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
why do you think something will break? they are really tough, I raced for years and have been racing britcar with TGM in almost std engined cars with very few problems, there is a sprint on Saturday at Castle combe, why not go and watch? its good fun and not to hard on the car

mike.williams

Advanced Member
why do you think something will break? they are really tough, I raced for years and have been racing britcar with TGM in almost std engined cars with very few problems, there is a sprint on Saturday at Castle combe, why not go and watch? its good fun and not to hard on the car
i think it was just an excuse to convince myself lol.

i think really though a £6-7k car is worth too much to strip out and just use as a track car. if i was minted then it would be no problem.

part of me is wanting a newish car as i do a fair few miles commuting, so getting rid of the teg for an ep3 will free up the funds to do so

i would love to go castle combe but its hours away and its my mates wedding. i have however been looking at local motorclubs that run sprint days on small circuits which looks a lot of fun

alan-lee

Advanced Member
You can pick up dc5's for under 5k here in Ireland now! Sell up by a civic and dc5? :)

I think personally I'd miss the dc5 if I sold it and although your going to be using an ep3 they just don't feel the same in my opinion

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've been tracking and road driving mine for over 5yrs and it's good as gold. Just replace its shoes, pads and fluids and she'll forever play ;)

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Track you Dc5 Mike thats what its made for and I am sure coyote has 200.000 miles on his and still going right? :xaiweb5:

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
Performance wise.. there's little difference between them. The hydraulic steering and LSD box is about it really.. both are brilliant cars.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Track you Dc5 Mike thats what its made for and I am sure coyote has 200.000 miles on his and still going right? :xaiweb5:
Correct, he's seen mine on track too. Not a puff of smoke in sight when he was behind me ;) :p

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Performance wise.. there's little difference between them. The hydraulic steering and LSD box is about it really.. both are brilliant cars.
This, I have driven both, STANDARD..... a standard DC5 feels a little sluggish due to having a more level torque curve.

DC5 does have the better aero, but again standard wise there is nothing between them other than that really numb steering.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i think it was just an excuse to convince myself lol.

i think really though a £6-7k car is worth too much to strip out and just use as a track car. if i was minted then it would be no problem.

part of me is wanting a newish car as i do a fair few miles commuting, so getting rid of the teg for an ep3 will free up the funds to do so

i would love to go castle combe but its hours away and its my mates wedding. i have however been looking at local motorclubs that run sprint days on small circuits which looks a lot of fun

have a look at the MLR forum, they run a sprint series with events all over the UK, they are good value and you can enter in a non evo, if the series goes ahead next year we may even be able to have a non evo class

dave c

400hp K20
yes you're mad, don't do it lol

I can see your logic but just use your teg on track and drive within your limits then you should be fine

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I've been tracking and road driving mine for over 5yrs and it's good as gold. Just replace its shoes, pads and fluids and she'll forever play ;)
Your car is a credit to you dan, but im after a more track focused car and an eco car

have a look at the MLR forum, they run a sprint series with events all over the UK, they are good value and you can enter in a non evo, if the series goes ahead next year we may even be able to have a non evo class
That sounds pretty good, ill see where im up too. Ill have wheels and coils ready for an ep3 also

you could nearly have found an EP3 for the price of those wheels! lol
Shhhhh!! I know its ridiculous lol but ive wanted them wheels for ages imthinkmthey will look just as good on an ep3

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
Ep3s are great had one for 3 years before the teg' may well end up in one again in the future but to me the dc5 is so much more than an ep3 from looks to performance miles ahead

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
If you have an 'off' in the Teg, new quarter panels and door skins will cost a bomb. Parts are so cheap for an EP right now, you could bin 3 whilst racing for the price of a DC5!

Jaybo

I can see your logic but I don't think I could go back to driving my old EP3 after driving my Teg