DC5 Top Mount

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just need some clarification regarding top mounts.

I've bought some Bilstein B14's along with a set of genuine Honda top mounts. I'm going to be fitting it all myself, I'm not just not all familiar with this type of suspension.

When I fit the new top mounts to my B14's do I need anything off my old strut? Also what do I need to grease and what type of grease do I need for the top mount?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Assuming I've bought the 'Damper mounting base' I need to take bearing and the upper spring seat off my OEM strut and transfer them over to the B14's?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
When you take it apart you will soon see what‘s what, but if youve got new top mounts, just swap the bearings over from your old (small plastic ring) and refresh the grease. Simple as that. I used a lithium grease around the bearing itself.

I changed my top mounts on oem like for like, so not quite the same situation but in practice it is. Top nut and fixings swap over too. Track rod ends which I remember reading you already have, don‘t even be to worry about spring compressors, they aren‘t loaded up that much when off the car :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
When you take it apart you will soon see what‘s what, but if youve got new top mounts, just swap the bearings over from your old (small plastic ring) and refresh the grease. Simple as that. I used a lithium grease around the bearing itself.

I changed my top mounts on oem like for like, so not quite the same situation but in practice it is. Top nut and fixings swap over too. Track rod ends which I remember reading you already have, don‘t even be to worry about spring compressors, they aren‘t loaded up that much when off the car :)
Thanks mate just needed some clarification as what I needed. When I ordered the new top mounts I was under the impression they would have everything on them. So all I've got to take off my OEM's are the bearing and just re coat it in Lithium grease?

My B14s have come with a collar on them I'll get a photo tomorrow.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Yeah that‘s all that‘s needed.
Just ordered new bearings, may as well seeing as I've ordered new top mounts.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Fair doos, it‘s just a solid plastic ring, but I can understand why. :)
I was reading they can become cracked and cause issues. Seems silly to use one old part when I'm refreshing everything else

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yeah your right, I overlooked ordering them when I refreshed everything 4 years ago, mines been apart 3 or 4 times now ans I‘ve helped a few other older members years ago with theirs...and every time it‘s been fine so never bothered tbh. It just slides round as you turn, but it‘s sandwiched between to solid surfaces that are perfectly mated together so no real room for error. I get there will be wear, but the amount of grease and / lack of heat there it‘s going to be minimal. I get why you would want to, all I‘m saying is it‘s not detrimental if it‘s been forgotten for other members doing it. I bet most that have done it haven‘t even realised it‘s a replacement part, as when you take it apart it blends in so well. Haha. But fair enough if you wish to change it. No harm done.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
This is the collar that came with the B14's, so will the bearing sit in the groove? Then just bolt the new top mount to it? Do I need the upper spring seat off my OEM damper?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
That I don‘t know, never fitted bilstiens I‘m afraid mate.
I'll see how it all fits together. Thanks for the help anyway dude.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
The bearings on the strut tops on these are plastic 2 piece items, if you‘re careful you can split them to clean and re-lubricate then clip them back together, I‘d use a neutral grease, something that doesn‘t contain solvents or petroleum based additives as these can deteriorate the plastic and surrounding rubber components.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Just need to know what to transfer over from the OEM strut to the Bilsteins.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
GIBLETS said:
The bearings on the strut tops on these are plastic 2 piece items, if you‘re careful you can split them to clean and re-lubricate then clip them back together, I‘d use a neutral grease, something that doesn‘t contain solvents or petroleum based additives as these can deteriorate the plastic and surrounding rubber components.
Something like silicone grease I'm assuming?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
New bearings came today, I now see how it all fits. Cheers