DC5 Type R vs Civic FD2 Type R

jonster

Advanced Member
Never seen an NSX pass a DC5 on the track days I've done. The one in this video seem to be in a different league to all the other cars though.

skingg

conoroneill said:
I can't believe how gullible some people are or maybe they just don't know what they're looking at. Observe how far off the racing line the DC5 is in the majority of the corners and also how sluggish and ill timed the gear changes are.

It would be a case of roll reversal if there was a new Integra on the way with the NSX doing the same job to make it look believable to the impressionable average Joe.

A DC5 is capable of lapping Tsukuba in sub 1:05 from what I've seen. How standard the car was is debatable but the cars in this video certainly don't even sound standard.

In real life I doubt there would not be much in it between the 2 cars.
Its true the DC5 driver is bad, but it cannot do sub 1:05 in Tsukuba cos EvoIXs, Sti Ver.IXs, and R34s are only doing 1:05-1:06 mark there while the NSX-R is at 1:04. The 1:08 mark was the best a stock DC5 ever achieved in Best Motoring. Maybe if Gan san was behind the DC5 he could atleast pull his signature 'blocking' manuevers to prevent the Civic from overtaking! :lol:

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
that civic seems to be more capable around tight turns....so maybe the gearing, suspension and vtec change point make it a better track car.

Dave SS

conoroneill said:
A DC5 is capable of lapping Tsukuba in sub 1:05 from what I've seen. How standard the car was is debatable but the cars in this video certainly don't even sound standard.

In real life I doubt there would not be much in it between the 2 cars.
BM ran the 98 spec dc2 to a 1:09.0 tsukuba lap, the dc5 was around a half second quicker and as you can see the FD2 laps around the 1:08 flat mark.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Dave SS said:
BM ran the 98 spec dc2 to a 1:09.0 tsukuba lap, the dc5 was around a half second quicker and as you can see the FD2 laps around the 1:08 flat mark.
Were these the runs with or without an independant timing adjudicator or were Honda's marketing team timing the whole thing? Also, did they give the official track temperature and tyre compounds that were used?

2 degrees divergence is worth over a second a lap in most cases depending on what rubber you're on. Open your eyes.

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Calm down Conor. Christ, stop throwing hissy fits coz the video shows the Civic faster. :xhaha2:
Standard for standard(apart from S-tires), I've never seen a sub 1:05sec lap. And I'm sure I have all the BM/BMI vids testing the DC5.

On their own home Honda site, they compare both models against each other. Strange how they dont compare Civic to Civic? Maybe the FD2 is very similar to the Integra.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
Calm down Conor. Christ, stop throwing hissy fits coz the video shows the Civic faster. :xhaha2:
Standard for standard(apart from S-tires), I've never seen a sub 1:05sec lap. And I'm sure I have all the BM/BMI vids testing the DC5.

On their own home Honda site, they compare both models against each other. Strange how they dont compare Civic to Civic? Maybe the FD2 is very similar to the Integra.
I'm perfectly calm! Did I come across as upset? I'm not bothered about whether the FD2 is quicker than the DC5. I'm just amazed at how impressionable some people are to obvious marketing ploys.

I agree that you'd not be looking at a sub 1:05 time on a standard car but then who's to say what is standard? The FD2 certainly doesn't sound standard.

Dave SS

I'm going to bow out of this one.......

conoroneill, sorry mate but you're living in cloud cuckoo land :?
Even if your conspiracy theory is correct, who gives a flying fuck which car is quicker?

dc5's are quicker than my dc2, but do you hear me complaining about it? :idea:

G4Z

Conor have you seen many of the Best motoring videos?

They might be biased towards Hondas maybe but when you have Gan san an co comparing cars like the dc2 to dc5 i have never seen a more unbiased opinion :) They say it as it is from what i've seen and i've seen alot of them. The DC5 has been around that track on lots of different occasions. In a race its hardly broke the 1,09 mark :)

This isn't Clarkson and co these are real drivers who drive cars properly and have been racing for years. Yes the Dc5 driver was crap on the first lap but a dc5 has never done better than a 1,08. The Civic is faster :eek: But as said who really cares it doesn't mean its better.

It is nice to see a gentle progression in performance though from the dc2-dc5-fd2 :) And im a dc2 owner and have no worries saying that :)

In real life I doubt there would not be much in it between the 2 cars
In real life with normal drivers theres not much between all 3. Theres only 1.1 second which seperates all 3 on the time attack around there.

Foxy red

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
Certainly looking at the new Jap Civic, it's size and power are more alike to the DC5 than the EP3 or other Civics out. I read (iirc) on the Mugen Nihon site it was 220 BHP :?: .

Does anyone know the stats of the new Civic?? I'd be interested to find out what they are.

Either way, the DC2 is great fun, the DC5 is fantastic and the new Jap Civic looks sh*t hot!! 8) Honda keep getting better and better IMO.

(I'm in danger of sounding like a parent), but I think each model is special to their owners, in their own way. :D

timp

Advanced Member
EK9, DC2, DC5, FD2 which is faster

I think you have proved something in this thread there is no real answer because apart from the car the driver plays a very big part.

I hav seen vid's with EK9's wooping the arse of DC2 and ones the other way and then DC2's kicking DC5's etc etc etc.

I don't think it is right to compare one Honda to another i think it is better to compare them to what the other companys are producing at that time.

I'm not gonna get if a DC2 makes fun of me, i'm gonna get out with a big grid and have a chat with the person and hopefully because they own a fast honda they are gonna be a bloody nice person.

And i hope they don't get out and say 'my cars faster than yours' because i will bloody chin them :D

Enjoy your own car and let someone else worry about theirs.

skingg

Foxy red said:
Does anyone know the stats of the new Civic?? I'd be interested to find out what they are.
On Honda's website, it was stated the Civic FD2-R has 225bhp, weights in at 1270kg and just slightly more torque.

Thus:

FD2-R - 225bhp / 1270kg /2.0l
DC5-R - 220bhp / 1170kg / 2.0l
DC2-R - 200bhp / 1070kg / 1.8l

On paper it would seem the FD2-R would probably be inferior to the DC5 from a power to weight ratio point of view, since the 5 extra horses shouldnt be able to make up for the extra 100kg gain in weight. But Honda stated that the chassis of the FD2 is 50% more rigid than the DC5s', vtec kicks in at 5800rpm and it has 15bhp more than a DC5 at low revs.

Foxy red

Advanced Member
skingg said:
Foxy red said:
On Honda's website, it was stated the Civic FD2-R has 225bhp, weights in at 1270kg and just slightly more torque.

Thus:

FD2-R - 225bhp / 1270kg /2.0l
DC5-R - 220bhp / 1170kg / 2.0l
DC2-R - 200bhp / 1070kg / 1.8l

On paper it would seem the FD2-R would probably be inferior to the DC5 from a power to weight ratio point of view, since the 5 extra horses shouldnt be able to make up for the extra 100kg gain in weight. But Honda stated that the chassis of the FD2 is 50% more rigid than the DC5s', vtec kicks in at 5800rpm and it has 15bhp more than a DC5 at low revs.
Sweet 8) Thanks

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Dark Blue Mark said:
http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/stocklist.asp?inc=161

22k! :eek:

I think it costs about £12k new in Japan :|
Almost - 13K but then the tax and reg costs bring it up to 20K+.

jay82

Advanced Member
is it me or does the new jap civic look very ugly. i'm be happier with my dc5 in that case. even the new uk civic looks ten times better. as power comes in can't wait if they bring a new integra out cause if thats how quick the civic is they'll make the tegg quicker they always do.