dc5 vs big boys

heyes_s

gsrgeoff said:
DC5 is a completely different type of car to an EVO / Scoob.

I have owned 5 evo's, 1 scoob and a DC2, also test drove a DC5.

They obviously perform in completely different ways, the DC5 would outhandle a scoob and would stick with an evo - but when it comes to the straights it will not keep up with either, obviously due to the lower power.
I would disagree with that statement. The handling of the new age impreza's is far better than the classics. The DC5 would not out handle a new age scooby. The DC5 is firmer and gives much more feel, but i dont think it can go around bends any quicker.
Also I think a DC5 would keep up with scoob on the straights, assuming its not got more than 280 bhp.

Steve

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
We have both dc5 and evo7, gotta say both are very good but hard to compare, as they are totally different, evo suits bumpy british roads and is far more stable at speeds on bumpy b roads, dc5 more stable on mways, both are great fun to drive, evo more power but dc5 feels faster at the top of the rpm and through the gears as theres no lag.
performance wise they are very even if in the right hands .

We Love them both and wont be getting rid of either in the near future, if you want to enjoy your motoring, costs must be forgotten about, you only live once its not a rehersal. :D

Gary

Advanced Member
Well as far as I'm concerned there's no argument the DC5 is easily the best overall package - Honda build quality/reliability, N/A engine and it's inherent characteristics, not to mention low running/servicing costs and excellent fuel economy, all the more amazing when you consider the overall performance which although is by no means the best in the sub thirty grand bracket bracket of motors already mentioned in this thread it's plenty fast enough for the road with just a few minor mods and along with very favourable depreciation rates, it does cost the least as well (my DC5 was 22mths old with 8k on the clock and the auction sale price was under £10000) the inflated prices we're paying inc. insurance are purely down to fact that it's a grey import but for that you get exclusivity, allied with the fact that it is an aesthetically stunnin motor inside and out 8) and it all adds up to bein a very satisfying car to drive :D the looks it gets every single day are unbelievable with some owners reporting people pulling up beside them at traffic lights with their camera phones out :shock:

Duncs

its horses for courses,
as an above 40year old owner the insurance is not too bad,
i am paying only £100 more than my 14year old pulsar,
now in my second year and having done servicing locally every 4.500 miles it makes perfect sense, the economy on a run (work sometimes) makes the DC5 a good all rounder, track it one day, use it for work the next and it is still the best looking car in any car park for less than £50K.

not got the gut wrenching accel of the traffic light pull away but give me a bend and a good road and i am in heaven

dan the man

Advanced Member
yeah ive had that...camera phones out on motorway!

i was well chuffed...car full of grown men too!!

ha ha :p

garylythgoe

heyes_s said:
The handling of the new age impreza's is far better than the classics. The DC5 would not out handle a new age scooby. The DC5 is firmer and gives much more feel, but i dont think it can go around bends any quicker.
No offence mate, but, 'handling' and grip/pace/traction are different things... Handling referring to feel, and balance, etc.. :idea: :wink:

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
@ GG, you forgot to take off your moderator head and replace it with your newbie head, wurzul!! :lol:

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Duncs said:
the Integra was built to be an integra,
its not a civic coupe,
not a 3 door hatch with a boot,
it was built as a stand alone design to be a strong shell
There is a non 'Type-R' Integra.

The Meist_R said:
When you say big boys are you meaning the 300bhp+ Evos and STI with PPP? You'd be surprised how well the DC5 fairs against an STI in standard form and a Evo 260 - a few minor mods, a good driver and your there.
I agree but you would need to spend very little on modding an Evo to get it above 400BHP and thus making it significantly faster than a DC5 with the equal amount of money spent.

Even if you did mod a DC5 to 400BHP it would handle like a badger and want to understeer straight into a wall at every opportunity. There's only so much power you can efficiently transfer on to the road through one axle.

I never understand why people compare different classes of cars.

It's like comparing Ricky Hatton to Mike Tyson.

aself66 said:
and the VI is quicker than the IX (fith gear?)
It turned out that VI was far from standard (you'd be hard pushed to find any Evo that age completely standard) plus the female presenter had a lot more experience of the VI than the IX as she stated.

robbyp

Advanced Member
liking this topic have been thinking bout changing to a dc5 here but am used to driving a 320 horse S15 Spec R Silvia. Have owned a dc2 and ek9 before it both awesome handling cars!! Guess i just need to get a run in one see what there like personally. What sorta power can u get from a dc5 without going crazy?

celox performance

Advanced Member
I part exchanged a 400bhp Skyline for the DC5 and haven't looked back :D

Without going crazy you can get over 240bhp with just an ECU swap (KPRO), air filter and manifold. You don't need any more power than this really and these mods will transform the car in terms of low down torque and mid range power :D . Just remember that the DC5's a light car and 240bhp is more than enough.

If you do want to go crazy then cams will give you around 260bhp and a supercharger will give you around 290-300bhp but these mods don't come cheaply.

morgan

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
I part exchanged a 400bhp Skyline for the DC5 and haven't looked back :D

Without going crazy you can get over 240bhp with just an ECU swap (KPRO), air filter and manifold. You don't need any more power than this really and these mods will transform the car in terms of low down torque and mid range power :D . Just remember that the DC5's a light car and 240bhp is more than enough.

If you do want to go crazy then cams will give you around 260bhp and a supercharger will give you around 290-300bhp but these mods don't come cheaply.
Its a mystery to me why you would want more power from a DC5. It can hardly manage the power its got ! Maybe I just got a good one, but with the roads like they are it is verging on dangerous. 3rd gear will break traction if you get the wrong bump/surface.

The DC5 is at the very limit of what a front drive is capable of. The torque steer is fairly horrible as it is - more power would only make it worse ! !

Dont mean to be negative, I love my DC5 (I really do) but if you wanna go much faster, then one of the 4WD loony turbo cars is really the sensible way (assuming you cannot stretch to something like the V8 M3 ! )
There is a reason racing cars are RWD...

You already have the pinnacle of FWD in the DC5 - nothing finer out there gents. Enjoy it as it is...

conoroneill

Advanced Member
celox performance said:

I agree although uprated cams and valve springs isn't going crazy. Forced induction is.

morgan said:
Its a mystery to me why you would want more power from a DC5. It can hardly manage the power its got ! Maybe I just got a good one, but with the roads like they are it is verging on dangerous. 3rd gear will break traction if you get the wrong bump/surface.

The DC5 is at the very limit of what a front drive is capable of. The torque steer is fairly horrible as it is - more power would only make it worse ! !

Dont mean to be negative, I love my DC5 (I really do) but if you wanna go much faster, then one of the 4WD loony turbo cars is really the sensible way (assuming you cannot stretch to something like the V8 M3 ! )
There is a reason racing cars are RWD...

You already have the pinnacle of FWD in the DC5 - nothing finer out there gents. Enjoy it as it is...
I agree. Enjoy the DC5 for what it is and don't try to emulate different classes of car like Evos.