dc5 vs dc2

nickyg63

i too have owned both and the only way i can describe it as natural progression i love my dc5 and i love my old dc2

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep, absolutely correct - the DC2 was a brilliant car when I was 23 and the DC5 is a brilliant car now I'm 30 :oops:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Trung said:
crxvtec said:
it also has worse fuel economy.
Regarding fuel economy, I find that suprising.
The K series VTEC engine is more advanced than the old B series VTEC. Modern day engine technology normally has better fuel consumption.
I hope you're comparing stock to stock cars.
Yup - I got 250 miles/tank from the DC2R - I get less from the DC5 at the moment - but it's still a new engine - will see what happens over the coming months. I agree more modern engines should be leaner but then each engine is different to the next one...

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Type R - Matt said:
Id disagree with your comments regarding the brakes, they are good, but they desperatly needed some cold air ducting, warped many a set :!:
I never had a problem with DC2 brakes - they were impeccable. My CRX on the other hand had poo brakes until I uprated them to MG spec.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
crxvtec said:
My 2 cents:

the DC2 is tighter, more agile and more brutal in its power delivery. I had one of the first cars in the UK (Feb 98 ) and I was amazed by what it could do at the price it cost. The factory tyres were good but put a DC2 on Potenza SO2 Pole Position and it could do almost anything. The DC2 brakes are out of this world. I read in a US mag that the braking distance from 70mph is within 1 yard of a BMW M3. The DC2 is a very intense car to drive - every outing is an event.

the DC5 is happier at higher RPMs, has bags of torque low down, has better seats (not sure why but I was never comfy in my DC2 but the DC5 seats are supreme!) but it also has worse fuel economy. It's much more relaxed, not as precise roadholding, and not as much urge at the higher RPMs - you don't feel the VTEC surge at all. The brakes are OK, no match for the DC2 in my opinion. The DC5 is a far more refined drive and perfect now I'm a lot older than when I bought my DC2. I still miss the DC2 though - what a machine it was...

Oh yeah - one last thing: the horn on the DC2 is LAME. The DC5 horn is wonderful.

not sure about higher rpms..DC2 seems to bang in to 9k wheras dc5 seems to get harsher and less onit up there i feel.....
seats are the same but i am comfier in DC5...think its the height off the floor and how your leg muscles are contaracted or not as pushed into your hips....

brakes ill agree, dc2 are fabulous, inital, mid and end bite all amazing and lasted me on track all day standard set up... but dc5s are harder work, u have to excert a lot of pressure it seems and if not carefull end up closer to the back of someone than u were thinking (getting my fluid changed tomoz so see if it changes...)

tyre choise i dunno.... re010s are dogs in dry and ive had s02s too...hmm.....

dan
Yep mine's sounding a bit harsh up there at the minute - but the DC5 has a square engine so should thrive on those revs - to an extent it does but mine's still quite a tight lump cos it's only got 1300 miles on it. DC2 seems to bang up to 9k cos it has the VTEC kick of the B series engine that the K series just doesn't have - hence you're not expecting the harshness with the K series and surprised when you get it. The B18C is a stroked motor so not as rev happy or as smooth as the B16A from my CRX VTEC - now that was a really buzzy engine with no harshness at high rpms at all - it loved the revs as much as I did!

Chris_M

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Type R - Matt said:
Id disagree with your comments regarding the brakes, they are good, but they desperatly needed some cold air ducting, warped many a set :!:
I never had a problem with DC2 brakes - they were impeccable. My CRX on the other hand had poo brakes until I uprated them to MG spec.
Just a point on the DC2 brakes...the standard setup is poo. Honestly, they are.

I replaced mine with Brembo Group N rotors, Ferodo DS2500 Race pads, braided hoses, 5.1 racing fluid......stopped you like you'd just hit something. 8)

When I get my DC5...I'll be upgrading the brakes first.....I like to stop quicker *before* I make a car go quicker. :wink:

dan the man

Advanced Member
Just a point on the DC2 brakes...the standard setup is poo. Honestly, they are.

wtf! poo brakea re on my hdi van with over a tonne weight in the back..... :lol:

but honest my dc2 brakes have been great :!:

crxvtec

Advanced Member
DC2 brakes poo? probably just the one you had - I could get passengers' faces on the windscreen with mine if I wanted. My DC2 stopped better than anything I've ever driven and Road & Track magazine quote the DC2R 70-0 braking distance to be within a yard of a BMW M3 (which has a monstrous braking system). I think you just had a bad example cos you're the only one I've known to complain about DC2R brakes!

Upgrading the DC5 brakes will be fun - there should be plenty of American owners that'll take the Brembo setup off you so get on their forums and spread the word - you'll get a good price.

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
DC2 brakes poo? probably just the one you had - I could get passengers' faces on the windscreen with mine if I wanted. My DC2 stopped better than anything I've ever driven and Road & Track magazine quote the DC2R 70-0 braking distance to be within a yard of a BMW M3 (which has a monstrous braking system). I think you just had a bad example cos you're the only one I've known to complain about DC2R brakes!
:lol:

First off I owned an EK9 that has the exact same set up as the ITR, secondly my brother owned an DC2 that I drove, my EK9 had a very hard life admittedly.
I used the heat treated brembo's and Mintex 1155's, I warped the heat treated Brembo disks more times than I can remember on road tyres, I warped the DC2 brakes completly standard apart from Mintex 1155's on one trackday.

They are good for road use as a standard set up (Pads/Disks with uprated fluid) but put on track they don't last a day on track.

I found some extra ducting, and removing the splash plates, replacing the Brembo's with EBC's and using Mintex 1177's at the front, was the best set up road and track, or 1155's for just road use.

My point was and is the DC2 needs ducting to the brakes a combination of too small a disk, and next to no heat dispersement.

BTW doesnt the DC5 have ducting for the brakes :wink:
"Learn by your mistakes" :?:

Just one other point, the tyres you use will also have an effect on the brakes, using a road legal sticky like the Yoko AO48, Toyo R555 etc will have a massive effect.

The best brakes Ive used were on a Porsche GT3 :shock: 8) totally incredible.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
The OEM replacement Brembos suck. I went through 3 sets of them on my CRX and my friends went through 2 sets (cracked one!) with normal road use.

I hear very good things about dba discs though - worth a look.

I've never done track days so can't imagine how badly Brembos would fare in that environment! I can imagine the GT3 stopping well - that has the PCCB as standard right?

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Oh yes I forgot that I cracked mine too, although found out these were surface cracks, when I skimmed them.

The GT3 I drove didnt have the PCCB, even so they were quite mind blowing, a car I must own soon :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
you tell em trung!!!

however due to the fitting of the injen i only have ducting on one side of the car, the injen sucks all the cold air up the other! :wink: