DC5 vs ST

jedge66

Hi once again :)

My brother drives a 2006 Focus ST and he claims that his ST (unmodified) would poop all over a DC5 acceleration and speed wise, i'm not sure if this is true :xconfused: but I thought they are pretty similar until you hit the top speed when the ST might just edge it!

My thoughts are he is :^o but it would be good to know he wouldn't leave me standing at the lights

Anyone know how the DC5 & ST compare

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
A Focus ST would of course beat a DC5 off the line.. So long as that road is straight and is bone dry.. it is a 2.5litre Turbo after all, however if the road had bends in it, wet or dry, then its "Good Night Irene" for the Focus ST.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Mmm, it's a fair bit heavier, I'd be surprised if there was much in it, but his torque is your main problem. They don't stand a chance on brakes or in corners due to the weight and not being as stiff.

alucardo

Advanced Member
2.5-litre Duratec five-cylinder 20-valve lump, turbocharged to develop 222bhp at 6,100rpm and 236lb-ft of torque at 1,600rpm

0-60 6.5 seconds

Mainly due to weight as lockwood77 pointed out, hed edge you but thats about it (real world) . Round a track, balance and lack of weight would leave the ST behind.

Hopefully well meet one on track on friday and we can see whats what.. :)

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
The 236 lbft of torque at 1,600rpm wont help though, as in a straight line race I doubt the revs in the ST would drop below 4,500rpm... The torque is still much greater than the DC5, but then so is the weight.

From what I've seen at Santa Pod, the DC5 would match the ST over the 1/4 comfortably if not beat it. I'd have them down as pretty much the same in terms of acceleration, but the DC5 would beat it in all other areas in terms of performance. I also saw some guys pushing an ST out of Santa Pod after it broke into a million pieces on the line... :-"

Rob84

Advanced Member
I can quite comfortably answer this as a good mate of mine has an ST-3.

He bought it brand new and whilst it was standard, we never got to have a "play" After it had been run in and had its first service, he remapped it with a bluefin to their stage 1 spec (250-260bhp). Our cars were then completely neck and neck up to very high speeds. My car has a gruppe m and a kakimoto cat-back exhaust, nothing else performance wise. We we're rolling when we begun so how good they would be off the line i'm not sure but i certainly know it would take a good driver to beat a dc5 because they either bog down because of the traction control or wheel spin into 3rd without it coupled with a heavy foot!

It wasn't until he spent £2500 on a 3" turbo back exhaust, pro alloy intercooler, K&N CAi and a new map from Dreamscience (now 300bhp) that he was able to pull away with any distinction!

Very heavy cars and the wall of torque they have makes for a difficult car to "launch" with but once going are not bad really!! :twisted: :green:

Martctr

Advanced Member
Top gear Stig time

Focus ST - 1.34.9

Civic type r - 1.33.5

Can be found on the top gear web site.

jay82

Advanced Member
your worst for listening to your brother :D

Martctr said:
Top gear Stig time

Focus ST - 1.34.9

Civic type r - 1.33.5

Can be found on the top gear web site.
was just gonna post that :)

benny

Advanced Member
a simple modded dc5 will wipe the floor with a st, my 309gti with some good mods held off one of the mingin orange ones, it was wet so dunno if he could get the power down or not, but on a duel carrage way up he wasnt gettin past, no speed limits were exceeded in the making of this post
if a civic is a 1 second quicker round a track how much quicker is a teg round a track?
st power 222bhp weighs 1392 162 bhp per tonne 1.4 mile 15.06 0-60 6.68
dc5 power 217 weighs 1180 185 bhp per tonne 1.4 mile 14.38 0-60 6.0
^^^for letstorquebhp.com^^^^^
we got insant power
wait for the turbo wait for it, ooh there it is!

JDC5

Charged DC5
well i have no problems with Ford ST in a straight line.. lol..

but on a serious note... any1 can drive in a straight line... DC5 are built for going round bends fast! lol

JD

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
was watching an st at pod it could only manage a 15 sec pass, whereas all tegs will be in the 14's, my pal has an st and while it feels quite quick because of the boost it was no quicker than mine, it felt a bit more urgent like it was faster, but in actuality when side by side there was nothing in it.
it is suprising what a carefully modded teg will keep up with if driven well, i have passed many porkers and a few lambos when on track due to poor driving.

if you really want to be quick then get a few lessons it will make a huge difference.

benny

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
was watching an st at pod it could only manage a 15 sec pass, whereas all tegs will be in the 14's, my pal has an st and while it feels quite quick because of the boost it was no quicker than mine, it felt a bit more urgent like it was faster, but in actuality when side by side there was nothing in it.
it is suprising what a carefully modded teg will keep up with if driven well, i have passed

if you really want to be quick then get a few lessons it will make a huge difference.

like lootus elise lol, pulled 4 car lengths on one today, thought they were suppose to be quick?