Dc5 went onto 3cylinders

ally_mac

Advanced Member
As the title says, my DC5 went onto 3 cylinders last night. I was just cruising at 40mph and the CEL light started flashing and the car when onto 3 cylinders, i went to pull in at the next layby but before i got to it, the car quit. It wouldnt start for me either, I got my mechanic out too look at it and he managed to get it started, I was only 1 mile from home so i slowly drove it home with him behind me.

When we got it home, we checked the manifold and found that pipe 4 was cold while the rest were hot, which would indicated cylinder 4 quit. We pulled the coil pack out and checked it, it seemed ok, but my mechanic changed coil pack 3 and 4 around to see if cylinder 3 would stop but the car started up perfectly.

Do you think it was just a loose connection, i.e i maybe hit a bump and it knocked it loose a bit, or does this sound like the coil pack is on its way out

Im at work at minute, but when i get home Im going to connected a wire to the 2 pins on the plug in drivers foot weld and see what error code its fires up

fonz600

Advanced Member
andyd said:
fonz600 said:
If u have Kpro u can use kmanager to check your fault code.
You can do the same thing with a trusty paper clip.

Andy
Yeah I've heard u can do that. Don;t know how but only mentioned Kpro as it's Ally Mac's signature so was presuming he had Kpro

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
We had a coil pack faliure while racing it is the only one i have ever heard of however the car was still running and no cel.?
it is possible the connection was loose,
but check:
injector is firing and the plug is ok, they are bolted down so plug to coil contact would be good, pretty unusual. though, both would cause 3 cyl running