Decat pipes?

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Js racing do one to match the 70RR i believe

But AFAIK spoon do the only 2-1 otherwise, dont quote me though

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I dont think the J's is std size tho, so it cant be used with an exhaust other than aJ's can it?

Spoon is the option, but im avoiding it because of the 'ticking' noise people seem to say you get with it.

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Scoobs do tick as they cool, but none of the exhaust is stainless, its all mild steel. My Evo was all stainless and didnt tick.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
I believe its a common occurence with the spoon manifolds, nothing to wory about

luffy

Advanced Member
it's not the 2-1 that "ticks" it's the 4-2 manifold. And at first it sounds odd but you'll be used to it in days mate and once in vtec you can't really hear it, especially if you have induction :D

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Thanks Luffy...

Evs - not sure what the rolleyes was for - it was a genuine question after someone above mentioned it was an issue to them!

Not impressed with Spoon after ringing 2 days in a row now. Monday I rang twice and was told the guy I wanted was busy. Rang today and was put on hold for over 5 minutes - gave up. Great service!

Evs

Advanced Member
Two reasons: Already done to death, and 'annoying' is a pretty subjective concept.

jonster

Advanced Member
I only had the 2-1 sectioin on a stock 4-2 and it sounded like water was washing through it to me when opening the throttle.

As a side note. When I had my MOT done recently and I had to drive with the stock header on, it felt like was driving a stock car again. All the power I had with my Toda had gone. Just shows how much work the Toda is doing for me.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
Thread tangent here - just how lean would I be running with the Spoon 4-2 with no ECU adapatation but with the standard 2-1 and CAT?

Dangerously?

PS - Mark, Evs is a grumpy old man... Just like Victor Meldrew but he is also the oracle of this forum so you'll have to bite your lip at his constant use of this emoticon:

:roll:

and this one:

:xhuh:

He he he. That's his way of being nice.

Evs

Advanced Member
xthumbup :lol:

:xhuh: :lol:

Difficult to say how lean, I personally wouldn't run an aftermarket manifold without doing the ECU. But then maybe I'm risk averse in that respect - I just don't think it's worth risking an expensive engine for the sake of a few bhp gain. :idea:

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Two reasons: Already done to death, and 'annoying' is a pretty subjective concept.
In retort ;)

1) Im new
2) The search doesnt allow search by "title" which makes it almost useless to find stuff :(

On S2ki / MLR / Scoobynet I aways seach first but I find this one tricky.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
I decided against getting the spoon in the end for 2 reasons..

1. I didnt want to take the risk with the dodgy noises people say they virtually always get.

2. I decided not to do anything about a manifold until i can afford a kpro at the same time.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
A wise decision I think Adrian.

There are too many DC5s zipping around running very lean with headers unwittingly fitted by their owners without a proper ECU. Unichip is no solution either.

I think I may buy the Supersprint pipe from Unit-8. Stevie reckons it'll fit and it's the same boar as standard (so no probs with grazing it) but without the silencer restriction. Quality was a reservation I had but I've heard decent reports about the pipe from EP3 owners.

Dark Blue Mark

Advanced Member
Is the running lean thing for real? I can quite see how it could happen in theory (although rarer on N/A cars) but I cant see any conclusive proof from dyno charts or anything?

What sort of AFR's were being seen with breathing mods?

Ta