Decent Ride?

bennn

Advanced Member
Hi Guys.

I'm back in my 3rd DC5 and am looking into suspension options. As far as I know it has the standard suspension and the clocks are showing just over 150k now so I think swapping out the OEM shocks will benefit it.

I've also got some clunking over bumps and potholes and the LCA bushes and track rod ends were advised at the MOT so also due replacement, figure I may as well buy all the parts and fit it all before the next MOT in Jan.

My last car was a B7 RS4 Avant (standard springs with Koni adjustables) and before that I had an E46 M3 (with H&R and Bilstein shocks) so both handled brilliantly but had a much smoother ride than the Honda so I'm finding the ride a bit hard at the moment (and yes, I know its a DC5 and that's what they are like) whilst I can live with it, I'd rather try and smooth it out a bit if I can as I think fast road driving is better with a softer ride.

So I've got 2 questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a suitable spring? (Thinking Eibach maybe good as I had the ABP red ones on my EP3 and remember the ride being liveable)

2. Can you fit EP3 shocks to a DC5 as direct replacement's for a DC5 don't seem readily available so if I can get EP3 parts to fit then I have a lot more options (could then go with the Bilstein B4's, which is what I had on my M3)

I prefer a spring & shock combo to coilovers. I don't mind if they lower the car a bit but I don't want it "slammed" so maybe the Eibach proline would be a good choice?

That being said I'd consider coilovers, its just I know they are prone to getting covered in grit and corroding / seizing in UK weather so prefer something more fit and forget.

Cheers

Ben

Fez

Advanced Member
Ep3 shocks will fit, need washers on the rear bush and use ep3 track rod ends for the front.
Never looked in to it but not sure if ep3 shocks will be valved differently for different spring rates.
I used spoon springs on mine and the ride was great and handled well.

bennn

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Ep3 shocks will fit, need washers on the rear bush and use ep3 track rod ends for the front.
Never looked in to it but not sure if ep3 shocks will be valved differently for different spring rates.
I used spoon springs on mine and the ride was great and handled well.
OK well that should be fine - I need new track rod ends anyway so can do that.

If I am changing the springs anyway I would have thought it won't matter too much if the shocks are valved slightly differently. I think the B4's are valved slightly different from standard anyway as they are designed to work with lowering upto 40mm.

The M3's have a problem with the front sitting higher than the rear on Eibachs too which is one of the reasons I went for H&R - will look into the spoon setup.

Cheers

Ben

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi Ben I have decided the future of my car and will be looking to sell my mugen shocks and spoon springs if they are of interest at all

bennn

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Hi Ben I have decided the future of my car and will be looking to sell my mugen shocks and spoon springs if they are of interest at all
How old are they mate and how much are you after? Drop me a PM if preferred. Cheers Ben

carl hammond

Advanced Member
How old are they mate and how much are you after? Drop me a PM if preferred. Cheers Ben
Will PM you later, I got the shocks off of John Green (we on his low mileage car), the springs I bought new, car has done about 5K miles on them max since fitting, pics in my build thread so you can see them :)