defi gauges. fitting

dan the man

Advanced Member
After buying the gauge pod off livvy and being proper chuffed with it as when it sits on dash, almost looks factory. Sits above stereo but behind the pimply material in the the recess of the dash. Really chuffed so wnat some defi gauges that are red and will match the DC5 clocks perfectly.

What i want to know is.... For the oil temp is the sandwhich between the oil filter a good enough place to pick this up from and if so can i get the sandwhich in at the next oil change without having a gauge and just connect up when i find some gauges and do a snatch on it and only loose a bit of oil etc?

Whats the best for the oil pressure? top of the engine or bottom?

and again for water, i assume the temp gauge reader is fittied inline on a 'T' piece somewhere... just after learnign what im about to do really so if anyone has it all in their head and have done it when u get 5 mins post it up so i can get it all in and have learnt a bit more. :D

have searched here and there but dosent bring up great amounts.

cheers DTM 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
The sandwich plate I fitted had 3 tappings, 2 of which i used for the oil temp and oil pressure. Its a tight squeeze there as it sits right next to tha manifold and the oil feed pipes so can get hot and give false readings. The garage fitted the plate the last time I had a oil/filter change etc. By putting them in the same place I could run one paired cable to them. I'm thinking of getting one of those oil filter relocator kits that they had on the oil cooler thread, just to move the filter and tapp off points to somewhere more accessible.

Dont have a water temp gauge so cant help you out there.

Geta good independent supply to the gauges as mine were being affected by the head unit as the DVD screen moved in and out. :shock:

I used a tripple mounting plate I got off ebay that fitted in the din lslot below the head unit.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow as I've got it all working now.

dan the man

Advanced Member
Ahh right so the oil readings are both off the sandwhich plate, but better if relocated and for better readings..got ya. (more money :x )

I remember your install, when searching it came up. Ill have to get pics of my pod sat dry on the dash for know up..

Im not sure weather to get water temp, volts reading or just another RPM counter...not sure which would be most usefull to me.

And besides DEFI, what other gauges are good and look as class? been looking a bit and seen the odd few but dont know the brands.. :|

cheers woots!

corbie

Advanced Member
I would put an EGT gauge in as my 3rd as that’s what I will be doing it’s a good indicator of how your engine is running and could help you pick up possible problems earlier e.g. if you are running lean/rich.

dan the man

Advanced Member
corbie said:
I would put an EGT gauge in as my 3rd as that’s what I will be doing it’s a good indicator of how your engine is running and could help you pick up possible problems earlier e.g. if you are running lean/rich.
EGT? whats that stand for.... think i get the idea tho

corbie

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
EGT? whats that stand for.... think i get the idea tho
exhaust gas temperature, if you have a aftermarket manifold on then there should be a hole ready for one to be plugged into.

Like the gauge pod 8)

Wootty

Advanced Member
I run Oil pressure, Oil Temp and Exhaust Gas Temp. The latter cos of the JRSC. And not all headers come with a tapping - in fact I'm not sure any do as standard - though please correct me if i'm wrong. Guy had to weld one on for me when my header was done.

On the trackday today the oil temp indicator was my cue to come in. when it got too high that was time for a cooldown - but by that time I was hotter than the oil :lol:

EGT never got above 700 and oil pressure was fine too.

So I think they are more use than just bling.

The G sensors on my SATNAV were fun though... latteral g off the scale at +/- 1.25g and fore/aft at +/- 1g

dan the man

Advanced Member
WHAT IS AN UNSAFE OIL TEMP?

i mean hundreds of DC2s and DC5s gat razzed to death and never go wrong and no gauges at all. Just left to it as honda wanted in a way.... :|

Wootty

Advanced Member
Just that running with the JRSC it generates more heat in the oil. Normal runing on the motorway on mine (now I've fixed the guages power supply) is at 90-95 degs. I've been advised by a friendly chap that some race prepared cars run nearer 120 degs max but with a suitably higher gade of oil. So today flat out when it was getting near 110 I was easing off a bit - just to be safe.

I might have a look at running with a higher grade at the next oil change.

Perhaps Oilman could shed some light on oil grades vs temps please

acepty

Advanced Member
Sorry to bring this one out the vault lol

I recently got my hands on one of this defi Gauge pod, thingy like the one in the pic

However it came unfinished?? :xconfused:
I mean it has only what it seems like a base primer for painting...
Has any other user on here got one of these brand new as to confirm if they came in such a fashion when new? And if so what paint color did you use?
I'm thinking some that will match the center console like a dark grayish or flat black dunno any advices???

It seems strange to me that defi will sell an item so expensive unfinished?? Or did I got rip-off? :xspank:
cheers
Abraham

rodney

Advanced Member
Sorry,don't have an answer to your question but may I ask where you got it from.

DTM..what make was the one purchased from livvy?

acepty

Advanced Member
rodney said:
Sorry,don't have an answer to your question but may I ask where you got it from.

DTM..what make was the one purchased from livvy?
The one I have is exactly the same as the one in the pic from Dan the man, and mine came in a Defi OEM Box
purchased in the Us from the distributors of Defi there so I guess he had a defi one too...

it was a stock they had there since it won't fit the left hand drive RSX, who knows since when they had that sitting in their warehouse lol... lucky me I got it \:D/

Bump form my question :D

LeeH

Advanced Member
Mine came Black, I got Halfords to mix me a tin close to the dash colour.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Are gauges easy to wire up? I'm getting some prosport ones ordered in from America and might attempt to fit it myself, I've bought an easy oil adapter plate which makes that part a breeze. Its the "where to feed the wires from the dash" that worries me :eek:

Is there any holes on top of the dash or do people just feed the wires down the side and tape it in?