Detailing a mark out of your windscreen?

truupR

Advanced Member
I've got a pretty irritating mark on my windscreen where it looks like a previous owner has either A. had something stuck in the windscreen wiper like a small stone and then switched the wipers on. Or B. Just kept using the windscreen wipers way past their due change date and part of the wire/metal/plastic has continuously rubbed against the screen when they were on.

The mark is a sort of quarter circle, starting from the bottom centre of the windscreen and sweeps around in a quarter circle an ends on the left hand side of the driver side windscreen pillar. No matter how much cleaning, claying or wiping it just won't come off.

Is there any way to remove this?! I've considered taking my DA polisher to it with some meguires #105! Only reason why I've strayed away from this idea is the thought that I'd be taking off some of the protective layer which sits on top of the windscreen glass? If there is such a thing? It's starting to get on my boobs now. Most of my journeys turn into me just glaring at that mark

Benneh

Advanced Member
To be honest it sounds much more like a scratch than a mark, so any normal detailing products won't do an awful lot to it!

Some types of polish can fill in scratches very well, I remember seeing one for glass a while back that was tested on phones and tablets and it worked flawlessly! Can't remember the name of the product used though! :(

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I don't believe there is a "protective layer" on the glass, I would just go ahead and try the #105, better than staring at that mark when you should be enjoying the drive :)

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Afraid it will be scratched bud. you can use glass polishes but I dunno how effective they are.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Get the DA on there with some polish / ultimate compound!

Failing that, contact your insurance for a new one, but you'll have to stump up the excess £60-£90 ish...

MaxJ

Advanced Member
I had this on my EP3. Turned the wipers on in the frost and it ripped the blade off leaving a quarter circle of scratches (I had to use wipers for the rest of the journey as it was snowing). If they're anywhere near as bad as mine it's a new windscreen I'm afraid.

truupR

Advanced Member
if only I had a rotary :< I'll have a bash at it with a DA and see what the results are. Just wanted to know that I wasn't going to be damaging the windscreen more by attempting it. I'll post the results as soon as the weather permits, which is normally never this time of year in Wales -_-

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Glass polishes are a load of pish from my experience of my previous car, Celicas seem to have just the right shape for the windscreen to attract stones, the DC5 doesn't seem to suffer this problem?