Detailing question

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
I've never heard of Iron X being harsh on paint or wheels, my impression has always been that the way it works is very gentle.

Products like Wonder wheels for example are completely different though, its basically a mild acid.
Rom said:
This.

Iron X works on a chemical reaction.
The paint on your wheels is no different (in essence) to the paint on your car.
If it was harsh to wheels, it would be harsh to the car too.

Any acidic cleaner, is harsh on wheels. It's also harsh on cars, it's just no one's stupid enough to use it all over the car.
This is why it burns eyes and cuts when sprayed.
Thanks guys for the replies.

I've not put it on the bodywork just the wheels, used it again today but probably won't use it again on the wheels for some time.

Stinky stuff too.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey,

Some questions if I may.

Can I ask, how often do people clean their cars a month?

Those of you using snowfoams and lances/pressure washers - how often do you clean yours?

Does everyone on here use hot water when cleaning their cars or cold water, or both?

Does everyone use the two bucket method even if they've used a pre-wash?

When using a pressure washer, is it connected to hot water or cold? If hot, how do you rig it up?

Lastly, I've been storing water in a water butt to conserve water for the garden. Is it ok to use this on the car when rinsing the suds off, if not is it ok to use on the wheels do you think?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

Rom

Advanced Member
Depends on time, and what level of protection the car has.

My old car, I'd wash every week. The car had full Zaino system on it. So would be very easy to wash.
Most times would just snow foam, jet wash, dry, and some Z8 to top it off. The actual sealant side would last 6 months easily. And was good enough, it rarely needed a major wash, as nothing really stuck.
I'd normally strip it, iron x, clay etc, and start over every 6 months.

Now I have a kid, and I'm lucky to get a wash a month!
I still foam and jet wash, then wash with 2BM, rinse and Z8, and if I can, a top up of Naviwax.
Will iron and clay every 6 month's still.

Ive not known anyone run hot water into a jet wash at home. Usually always cold, for pressure, and cost I'd guess.
Most industrial washers heat the water, bit still a cold supply.
It does make a difference, I use the one at work if I'm there.

Always use 2BM. Always.

I use cold water in buckets usually, I winter I might treat myself to warm. But the cleaning power comes more from the product, than water temp.

Double check, but I think stored water is quite popular on DW. Won't leave the hard spots like tap water usually too. Though obviously it needs to be clean, not stagnant pond scum lol.

Any time you touch the car, you risk damaging the paint. So while people love to wash their cars. Unless the method is faultless, it's extra risk.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Rom for this bud. I'll respond properly in the morning lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Mine gets a decent clean once a month or so. And a good proper clean every 3-4 months with a proper sealant / wax.

Think as long as it's sealed well, a monthly rinse is plenty.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Depends on time, and what level of protection the car has.

My old car, I'd wash every week. The car had full Zaino system on it. So would be very easy to wash.
Most times would just snow foam, jet wash, dry, and some Z8 to top it off. The actual sealant side would last 6 months easily. And was good enough, it rarely needed a major wash, as nothing really stuck.
I'd normally strip it, iron x, clay etc, and start over every 6 months.

Now I have a kid, and I'm lucky to get a wash a month!
I still foam and jet wash, then wash with 2BM, rinse and Z8, and if I can, a top up of Naviwax.
Will iron and clay every 6 month's still.

Ive not known anyone run hot water into a jet wash at home. Usually always cold, for pressure, and cost I'd guess.
Most industrial washers heat the water, bit still a cold supply.
It does make a difference, I use the one at work if I'm there.

Always use 2BM. Always.

I use cold water in buckets usually, I winter I might treat myself to warm. But the cleaning power comes more from the product, than water temp.

Double check, but I think stored water is quite popular on DW. Won't leave the hard spots like tap water usually too. Though obviously it needs to be clean, not stagnant pond scum lol.

Any time you touch the car, you risk damaging the paint. So while people love to wash their cars. Unless the method is faultless, it's extra risk.

Johngreen537 said:
Mine gets a decent clean once a month or so. And a good proper clean every 3-4 months with a proper sealant / wax.

Think as long as it's sealed well, a monthly rinse is plenty.

Cheers chappies.

Think I need to invest in some better car care products, hoping to be in a position to get a pressure washer next month. Maplin have got Nilfisk C120's for sale at £89 at the moment.

Is the Zaino stuff good, what is 2BM?

I currently wash mine weekly or two weekly but I think I'm overdoing it tbh.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
2BM is 2 bucket method :)

I picked up a Karcher K4 in Halford on special for £130. Only went for k4 over k2 as it's water cooled, so lasts longer for the garden.

Rom

Advanced Member
I went for nilfisk as they use metal impellers, my last karcher packed up, plastic impeller died.

Zaino is very good, I've used it for years. If you want to use the whole range, it's not as simple as other brands.
I've started mixing and matching over the years.

Sam.

Recently bought a nilfisk Titan from Argos, £80 and it comes with all the additional attachments that are normally £20 on their own

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I got really lucky and got a Karcher V2 Home Premium for £40 in the January sale in Tesco lol Thanks to Shortstuff for picking it up for me :)

I have a hot water supply at home which I started using with it by accident as the valves were labelled the wrong way around, it definitely helped remove dirt but I found the Karcher heating up quite a lot so stopped and switched to the cold supply as I was worried about the motor overheating, I wouldn't do it again I don't think its designed to be used like that.

mil1lion

Advanced Member
I wash mine every 3 weeks usually.
Cold water tap connected to the pressure washer, start with a rinse then add snow foam and let it sit for a few minutes
Then fill 1 full bucket of warm water mixed with Meguairs wash and wash shampoo, and 1 bucket of cold water filled about a 3rd of the way because it will fill with water from the other bucket anyway (both have grit guards in)
Rinse off the foam and then using warm water bucket and wash mitt wash a panel at a time from top to bottom, rinsing between each use into the 2nd bucket (running the mitt across the grit guards each time)
Then rinse off any remaining shampoo and chamois dry (usually dry as I go along because it will dry before I finish otherwise and leave water marks)
I wax every 3 months druing spring and summer using Soft99 King of Gloss, then switch to Soft99 Fusso for autumn and winter because it's a more durable long lasting wax
I do a full detail once a year around spring before car show season (clean as above, clay, polish and then wax)

If you're using a water butt then use a filter
As far as I know they don't recommend using hot water in pressure washers

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mike.A said:
I wash mine every 3 weeks usually.
Cold water tap connected to the pressure washer, start with a rinse then add snow foam and let it sit for a few minutes
Then fill 1 full bucket of warm water mixed with Meguairs wash and wash shampoo, and 1 bucket of cold water filled about a 3rd of the way because it will fill with water from the other bucket anyway (both have grit guards in)
Rinse off the foam and then using warm water bucket and wash mitt wash a panel at a time from top to bottom, rinsing between each use into the 2nd bucket (running the mitt across the grit guards each time)
Then rinse off any remaining shampoo and chamois dry (usually dry as I go along because it will dry before I finish otherwise and leave water marks)
I wax every 3 months druing spring and summer using Soft99 King of Gloss, then switch to Soft99 Fusso for autumn and winter because it's a more durable long lasting wax
I do a full detail once a year around spring before car show season (clean as above, clay, polish and then wax)

If you're using a water butt then use a filter
As far as I know they don't recommend using hot water in pressure washers
Thanks Mike mate!

Only eyebrow raised is your use of a chamoix, supposedly you shouldn't use them for drying and should use a large, plush drying towel.

Rest of the methods seem spot on though.

mil1lion

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks Mike mate!

Only eyebrow raised is your use of a chamoix, supposedly you shouldn't use them for drying and should use a large, plush drying towel.

The top detailers still chamois dry. As long as you have a good quality one (I have a microfibre one that works really well) and make sure there's no dirt transferred over to it before dying it should be ok. Although I'm looking to get a water filter soon because supposedly the water when filtered dries without leaving marks so does away with drying completely.

Kenz

Advanced Member
I do mine every weekend if the weather is good enough. Rinse off as much dirt as I can with a karcher pressure washer, then hand wash using a soft microfibre mitt with 2 bucket method. I have in the passed used a leaf blower to remove water.

The next thing I'm going to get will be a quick detailer and a decent wheel cleaner and sealant.

I waxed it last month and will be doing it again next month, but I will be decontaminating it with fall out remover and hopefully machine polishing it as it needs a good mop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Kenz. Think I need to get a pressure washer as the next step as I'm not getting the full benefits of products I use or the cleaning methods. I washed it tonight and gave it a good coating of Naviwax but it started raining which wasn't ideal. Needed a coating as dirt was starting to stick to it really easily.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cipriani

I would be looking for tar and glue remover also, something for tyres and a good quality shampoo/ lambs wool wash mitt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cipriani

Crazylegs said:
Thanks Mike mate!

Not many detailers use leather chamois to dry these days. They can marr the paint if anything becomes trapped in them at all. Microfiber is safer due to the depth of the towel absorbing any small pieces of dirt