Developed high pitched Whistle noise

ollieh17

Advanced Member
My PFL has developed a really annoying whistle noise. It started off quiet getting louder as revs/speed increased, however its quite loud now and sounds like a supercharger. Unfortunately it isnt charged, but the noise gets louder as revs increase.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Does it do it on idle? Can you work out where its coming from roughly??

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Nope doesn't do it on idle. Can only hear it while driving in the car. Considered wind noise from somewhere but seems to be me rev related than speed. Have a AEM V2 induction

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Done some more googling and seems to be normal with a AEM V2, despite not hearing it before. Gonna whip the throttle body off and give it a clean

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Done some more googling and seems to be normal with a AEM V2, despite not hearing it before. Gonna whip the throttle body off and give it a clean
I have an AEM long arm in the bumper and don't get anything whistle wise etc and I run an RM01A so it's deff not being drowned out by exhaust noise, do you have a Solid Fab exhaust? I have heard them have a weird whistle style noise on run off

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Nope Custom exhaust. Mine isn't a long arm, its the one that sits above gearbox. Think ill give the filter and throttle body a clean

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Nope Custom exhaust. Mine isn't a long arm, its the one that sits above gearbox. Think ill give the filter and throttle body a clean
Oh ok maybe the noise is more noticeable as it's so close to you and only needing to get through the bulkhead :)

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Yeh it does sound like it comes from that side of the engine. But it definitely hasnt always done it. Got a track day at Combe on Sat and is really gonna bug me!!!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Yeh it does sound like it comes from that side of the engine. But it definitely hasnt always done it. Got a track day at Combe on Sat and is really gonna bug me!!!
Would the crash helmet not block it out? Very odd if it wasn't there, maybe a hose is loose or has developed a split or something to cause it? or the cone filter itself loosened off?

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Would the crash helmet not block it out? Very odd if it wasn't there, maybe a hose is loose or has developed a split or something to cause it? or the cone filter itself loosened off?
Its pretty loud but might do. Haven't left much time to check it out. Only booked the track yesterday, with clocks going back hard to find the time

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Its pretty loud but might do. Haven't left much time to check it out. Only booked the track yesterday, with clocks going back hard to find the time
Yeah I know that feeling, it's a pain as dark when both leaving and returning home from work now :(

I have not done Combe yet, its on the cars for next season though

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I have an AEM long arm in the bumper and don't get anything whistle wise etc and I run an RM01A so it's deff not being drowned out by exhaust noise, do you have a Solid Fab exhaust? I have heard them have a weird whistle style noise on run off
The solid fab does have a weird noise when let off at high revs but not a continuous noise.... maybe you have a secret super charger installed haha

ollieh17

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
The solid fab does have a weird noise when let off at high revs but not a continuous noise.... maybe you have a secret super charger installed haha

It was previously charged !

Pboll99

Hi, does you inlet and throttle body have a space adapter plate between it? As I‘ve had a similar noise like yours where my spacer plate has rattled loose! Mine too happened just after a track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Just a thought but could it be interference coming through the speakers with the signal and power cables from your head unit being too close together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grano

Alternator ok? Mine did that for about a month before the charge light came on. If one diode goes it whines in relation to rpm. Sounds a bit like a badly earthed head unit does.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
sorted it before the track day. Took the induction kit off and put it back on and was gone. Assuming loose hose clip somewhere