Diagnose my rattle (video)

Cam

Advanced Member
I've got an annoying rattle which appears to be coming from the passenger door area, it only happens when setting off or at low RPM when the car judders. I've had no luck tracking it down so far, just wondered if anyone else had any ideas. It's not the Gruppe M.

Listen for yourselves... [video]

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Does the same thing happen if you are going around 30mph in 5th or 6th? I could possibly be a worn final drive shaft as my 1st Teg made a similar noise.

Cam

Advanced Member
Not necessarily at a certain speed no, just at low revs in any gear which makes the car judder.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
The only other suggestion could be a broken engine mount causing excessive movement in your engine bay .If you have a mobile phone with a decent video light make a vid and investigate your mounts as it is difficult to get a good view unless you put it on a ramp. The Dc5 mounts are like butter but also wear very quickly. As a matter of interest do you have a engine torque damper fitted?

Cam

Advanced Member
Yeah it's either a Spoon or Tegiwa damper, this vibrates a bit but isn't the sound heard in the video.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
i have a similar thing hapening at the moment it onlky does it around 3-4 thousand revs i get a rattle had all my heatshields taken of but i think its the cat now not sure gona have a look when i get chance

Cam

Advanced Member
Update: finally got around to having a proper look.

Turns out the rattle only happened with the bonnet down, and it was infact a wobbly bonnet catch. :)

Amazing how far rattles travel...

Cam

Advanced Member
Haha, nah I managed to get away with just rolling back and forth on the drive. :p

So glad it's not doing it now.