Diagnose oil leak

Teg

Trying to diagnose an oil leak. I've replaced the rocker cover gasket and vtec solenoid seal as its coming from that side of the engine. Oil filter is OK as well so is the crank sensor seal. Is there any other common places it could be coming from? I was wondering what the black plate on the side of the engine was for and if its likely to leak from there? I'm just hoping its not the timing chain cover seal or crank seal behind the pully.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
Could be crank seal behind pulley... Just had to do mine and its a complete PITA! Had to drop engine just enough to tilt slightly, best way is to use some brake cleaner and wipe around pulley, run it for 3mins... You'll soon see... Not a lot else I can say! best of luck

Teg

That's what I thought plus the pulley would throw the oil. What is the black plate for near the pulley?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Teg said:
That's what I thought plus the pulley would throw the oil. What is the black plate for near the pulley?
Chain tensioner. Held in by 3 10mm bolts. These can leak but are easy to bond up. I would check that first if you have had work done in that area.

Teg

Thanks for the replies. Yes after my rocker cover and vtec solenoid seal, the black plate was next on the list...then crank seal...last of all timing chain cover seal. There's quite a bit of oil coming out witch you'd think would make it easier to find, but its not ha.