Diff clunk

Fez

Advanced Member
Last few weeks i've noticed a slight 'click' sounded like driveshaft, but not a constant 'clickclickclickclick' like normal knackard driveshafts i've had in the past. But clicks when first accelerate and then when you let off throttle, over some little bumps but not big ones, and some turns... Again only one click not many, the noise sort of sounds like a loose wire tapping against something thin. And its been driving me crazy, so yesterday i had a look around, my bonnet rattles a bit so thought it was that, but when i grabbed the shaft... Ooo err... It moves inside the diff housing, i checked on the mrs' ep3 and its solid it doesn't move, but spoke to my mate who is building a kswapped ek9 and he says his makes the same noise, and he has a plated lsd, and brand new shafts, neither of which have been used yet as its an on going project.

https://youtu.be/8LZqaYLkx6I

Quick video.

Does anyone else's do this? Doesn't sound/feel normal to me though.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Plated diffs will clunk. Sounds like the gearbox is falling to bits. Try turning hard right or left and then pull away. It almost sounds like the wheels are rubbing against the arch along with a clunk.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My box makes a clunking noise when coming to a halt. Wonder if I have a plated diff?

Fez

Advanced Member
I had a plated diff in my old car, and it ruined the car haha, so this one doesn't lol.
Just doesn't seem right to me. Could anyone check their shaft for me 😅😂
The car drives fine, and pulls like it always has around corners, just the noise doesn't sound reassuring.

Fez

Advanced Member
Must be the Lsd then? Like i said the ep3 is solid, no play whatsoever.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
In gear it was solid, however when in neutral there was the play.
I would assume it's just the slack between gear teeth.

Fez

Advanced Member
Hmm... Could well be. Ill keep checking it.

Well thank you all for input, hopefully it doesn't break lol.