difference of brake callipers being towards front of disk instead of back

Type K

Advanced Member
So while i was rebuilding my suspension the other day i forget which hub went on which side (idiot moment) and they both look identical, so i looked at my phone and had a pic of my dc2 suspension where the calipers were at the front of the disks, so i thought theyd be the same and set my hubs up so the calipers were at the front but when i got home and looked at a few cars i noticed the calipers were on the back.

Now with other cars this isnt possible to get wrong due to the track rod attaching to the hub however on the dc5 well as iv done it kind of is. Obviously im going to switch them around and put them the right way however i was wondering is there any difference if they are at the front or back?

Stoo

Whining.....
Wtf. So how do your track rods fit now if the hubs are on back to front???

Edit. Ignore me actually. Track rods are on the strut. Haven't seen one for a while!!

Type K

Advanced Member
if you ever look at a dc5 hub they are identical except for were the abs sensor goes and if you think about it both are bolted to the suspension leg on the top and connected to the wishbone by the ball joint at the bottom and the calliper then bolts on to the hub so except for maybe the brake line not reaching (which mine wernt connected) i dont see why they couldnt be switched

my cars not on the road at the moment btw its still on the ramp

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If your question is not just related to the DC5 then I'd say there's absolutely no difference where you mount the caliper. Personal choice by each manufacturer I guess. Some even mount the caliper off center. I think the 350z is like this? Sits at the back of the rotor but much higher than on the horizontal line.

I guess the only argument that could be had is airflow/cooling?

Most cooling ducts run from front bumper so if the caliper sits forward it will get the bulk of the cold air but perhaps block some flow to the rotor? If the caliper sits at the back I guess the rotor will get more of the flow. Not sure which of these options would be seen as best either :xhuh:

Type K

Advanced Member
thanks for the info david but relating to the dc5 if the hubs are exchanged and put on incorrectly and the callipers sit on the front, is there any advantage/disadvantage to this except for possible air flow relation?

Bonito

Advanced Member
Nothing other than your rotors are now spinning in the opposite direction to how they bedded in. :) Can't see any problems.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Have them closest to the center of gravity? I dunno why I just think it sounds right..

Teg

are the calipers the right way up? bleed nipple at the top? brake lines ran the same way with plenty of slack when turning? i'm just guessing here haha

Bikerz

Front callipers at the back and low as you dare opposite for rear (still as low as you dare) gravel traps etc.... This would give you less weight transfer and centre of gravity