Differences between Toda Clutch Kits

tokgeen

Hi Guys,

My stock clutch will be going out soon and hence im looking into what options i have out there and concluded that I will give Toda clutches a try. However, Im confused with the different kits they have available for our K20 engines, i tried searching but i dont think any of us here use toda clutches. Seems like Exedy is more the popular choice.

The kits they offer (including flywheels, hence "kit"):
1) http://todaracingusa.com/category?secti ... d=28&id=57
(there are two here, metallic and non-asbestos)
2) http://todaracingusa.com/category?secti ... d=28&id=56
(here is the high power single clutch kit)

Hence there are 3 clutch kits avail. What are the differences? They are all similarly priced. Thanks in advance.

In case if it helps, some background on the power of my car based on the light mods i have...:

Gruppe M intake
Toda header
Fujitsubo RM01A
Hondata K100

So, no crazy power but i guess probably like 10-20hp more than stock.

Thanks again!

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
I'd also stick with standard unless you dont live anywhere with traffic. Uprated/Race clutches are very 'snappy' and not easy to live with around town

tokgeen

Thanks guys for your responses. But does anyone know the difference between these clutches? Cheers.

tokgeen

For those that are interested, I have written to Toda USA and gotten the following response, which helps clear my queries, in case some of you'd like to know :)

"Here are the MAJOR differences between the 3 clutch kits

1. Non-Asbestos clutch disc is a full face designed to work as a factory replacement alternative

2. Metallic clutch disc is a 3 puk intended for road racing use

3. High Power Single is a 6 puk disc designed to handle high horsepower/torque capacity.

All 3 clutch kits are fully balanced from the factory, this service is not offered by any other aftermarket clutch manufacturer. "

tokgeen

Also, fyi i've located this guy in japan, who do quotations by email, and gives very decent pricings even when goods need to be shipped (well im located in HK, not sure how much more itd cost to ship from Jap to UK).

These Toda clutches kits is reasonably priced, fyi, I will try out the metallic one that costs around USD840. You can convert that to pounds...

Anyhow, his name is Bunta, the company name is OOPARTS I'nal, Inc. and his email is bunta@ooparts-international.co.jp

I think they have a website somewhere but unfortunately i dont have the address + i dont use it cos i dont read jap haha

Hope this helps those who are in search of parts.

Neal

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
all clutches are balanced by the manufacturers even cheapy ones.

beware if you are buying a RACE clutch to use in a ROAD car, it will not last long at all and will be a pain in the ass to drive

tokgeen

Really? Hmmm i see. Thanks very much for your advise. Now i gotta rethink haha. Thanks tho, somehow that was the official answer from Todausa

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the thing to remember is race cars are serviced regularly after every event mostly to put that into a mileage comparisson its about every 100 or so miles!!

so i would expect a race clutch to last a season not much more maybe 10 races all at 100 miles its only 1000 miles total.

I know so many people who spend thousands on tripple plate carbon blah blah clutches to find out they only last a month, when they go back to the manufacturer they get the hump as theres no warranty for a race part (as with all TODA products with "RACE" on the box, there is no warranty.

In my race car and 4 other DC5 racecars i know and worked on they all use a Honda oem clutch and they last for years