Different tyres front to rear - thoughts

Ronnie31

My current set of re070s are about 2 year old and the fronts have had it. They havent really done a lot of miles but there is cracking inbetween treads and some on sidewalls. Its causing a bit of understeer and a distinct lack of confidence in bends.

Whats your thoughts on running re070s on rear and something like contisports on front? Living in the north east the wet performance of the bridgeys doesnt suit the lack of sun we have.

Thanks for help

beppe786

Beppe
i wouldn't run different tyres on back and front.. from experience on my first ever teg when i bought it guy had coni sports on the front and para spec 2 on the back.. went around the corner and back end came out i shit my pants.. nearly did a 180..

i don't rate the yokohama para specs 2 after that at all.. maybe they needed more warming up than the contisports.. now re070s all around.. tried ad08s didnt like them

Ronnie31

That was my fear and now its confirmed. Looks like im buying 4 new tyres then. Decisions decisions.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
hmm, my teg has bridgestones on the front and dunlops on the rear and ive never had the back end come out once...

as long as the rear tyres are a decent spec and not budgets, surely it wont matter if they are different to the fronts? i would of said the level of grip on the rear would be more of an issue than having a different brand? as the rear tyres before i got the dunlops were very low tread and i nearly spun a few times with those, switched to the dunlops (which i got for free...) and not had an issue since...

just my monies worth..

nellly

Advanced Member
i had re070 on the back and some crap the last owner put on the front and i didnt have any problems. its not an ideal solution to be in but its not that dangerous.

Ronnie31

Ive decided to buy 4 contisport 5s and will sell off the two good bridgeys from the rear along with my j's catback exhaust and the cost will be covered with some money left in my pocket.

Got the bridgestones with trackdays in mind but reducing working hours and now with a 6month old second daughter ive managed one trackday in 2 years. That needs remedied but I digress

Rob R

Advanced Member
You will not be disappointed with Conti Sport 5s, excellent tyre

mil1lion

Advanced Member
I have Goodyear Eagle F1s back and Bridgestone RE070 on front with no issues but they're both great tyres
The rears don't really wear so dont see the point changing them just for the sake, as long as they're decent quality
As long as the tyres on the same axle match and you have good tread all round it will be fine

MrRy

Advanced Member
I'd always run the same tyres. Obvious reasons why but aside from that, it just goes against the ethos of the car if you don't go for the "grippiest" rubber available for the conditions you drive in.