Different width front to rear

Kevin85

Advanced Member
As title, has anyone had any experience with running different tyre widths? For example, 8inch on the front, 7 on the rear.

Beyond that, what about for example re070 on the rear, ad08r on the front?

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Check the wheels topic where people post pics of their wheels and spec, it's not uncommon for a DC5 to run wider at the front so yea a lot of people have experience and like it.

I'm not sure about actual different tyres front and rear, from a safety point of view id personally like all 4 tyres the same so they all react the same to the conditions you're in.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Yes i've ran 9J up front with a 245 and 7J on the rear with a 225. Worked fairly well and car rotated well, didn't suit my driving style though so i'm now 9J all round with 245's all round.

Never mixed tyre manufacturers front and rear though, I run AD08R's all round.

spooke

Advanced Member
I think for track usage mixing the tyres would be fine, size and tyres (I would stick to a small size variation and 'Summer Tyres'), I plan on getting some wider front wheels to run a 225/245 tyre like AD08's for track (or as Dan above if I can get a staggered size of wheels I like). However for on the road I wouldn't advise either :p

Kevin85

Advanced Member
That's sort of what I'm planning, I've got a set of 4 17x7 that I'll run during the winter, then two 17x8 for the front on track and in summer. For example, running some ad08 on the 7inch, and ad08r on the 8, and having more front end grip and the rears heating up quicker.

I could be completely mental thinking I can do this, but that's why I'm asking the questions. :)

spooke

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
That's sort of what I'm planning, I've got a set of 4 17x7 that I'll run during the winter, then two 17x8 for the front on track and in summer. For example, running some ad08 on the 7inch, and ad08r on the 8, and having more front end grip and the rears heating up quicker.

I could be completely mental thinking I can do this, but that's why I'm asking the questions. :)
For a casual track day I think you would be fine - but if you start getting serious then I'd stick to the same tyre front/rear and just play with widths and suspension setup.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Personally I'd prefer to keep the tyres the same all round (make/model) for consistency reasons and then change the cars alignment settings to change the cars handling characteristics, but that's just my preference.