Difficulty selecting 2nd

Cheung_dc5

Hi, I'm fining it difficult to select 2nd gear only when cold, it's seems to grind/ crunch. Would this be a sign of the gearbox oil being old and breaking down? Or worse?

Thanks, Matt

maxvr6

Advanced Member
This is pretty typical, when was the last time the gear oil was changed? If its been a few years its probably worth doing, best to stick with Honda factory MTF stuff.

Riz

Advanced Member
^ That's the first thing to try. Providing the gearbox is working smoothly when up to temperature and at speed I'm sure it will be fine.

hondaft

Advanced Member
I get the exact same mate, I had read on here the same as mentioned as above though. Apparently quite a common thing!

Future

Advanced Member
I get the same, even with fresh oil. For the first 5 minutes of my journey I'll always shift from first to third. After that it is always perfectly smooth.

FinDC5

My teg has honda mtf oil in the gearbox, and all of the synchors(1-6) have been replaced with synchrotech carbon synchros, and i have a new exexy oem clutch. And still my 2nd gear is still a little "hard" to put in.

Our weather might affect a little. It's not so warm in Finland yet.

Stuarty

Advanced Member
I have the same issue, I rarely use 2nd gear now when driving to work. Always go 1st to 3rd until its at least warmed up, even then its not the greatest. Should e doing an oil change soon so hopefully thst sorts it.

dotty

Advanced Member
Future said:
I get the same, even with fresh oil. For the first 5 minutes of my journey I'll always shift from first to third. After that it is always perfectly smooth.
This is what I do too :)

Dan34

Advanced Member
Uncle Tom at TGM told me that the carbon lined synchros dont actually give you the part of the synchro that wears. He told me that its the synchro 'hub' that can wear out and cause notchy gears.

That being said though, DC5 gearboxes are just a pain when they're cold haha.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yeah dan thats what I had replaced. The whole hub assembly with first and second gears and synchros after having issues last year.

It doesn't slide straight in when cold,but I leave my car running for 5-10 mins before and its silky. If ive got to jump in and go then its first to third, or very gently try second now and again so it seems to be a Teg thing. :) cold weather wont help. Mines fine from cold in the summer.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Yeah dan thats what I had replaced. The whole hub assembly with first and second gears and synchros after having issues last year.

It doesn't slide straight in when cold,but I leave my car running for 5-10 mins before and its silky. If ive got to jump in and go then its first to third, or very gently try second now and again so it seems to be a Teg thing. :) cold weather wont help. Mines fine from cold in the summer.
Out of interest how much were the hubs? PM me if you'd prefer!

VT-Doo

RushDoo
If there are any problems selecting 2nd gear while cold give the clutch pedal a slight tweak.