Difficulty selecting gear

Chemical1989

I have had my dc5 for a couple of months now and I am having some issues when entering first and from first to second also some real problems getting it back out of reverse can anyone shed some light on this??? Help

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Everyone has this issue to some degree (including myself about 3 weeks ago)

Go to Honda and purchase 2 bottles of MTF3 gearbox oil
Replace said gearbox oil
Give it a day or 2 of normal driving to get around properly.

Problem solved :)... most of the time.

Steve_DC5

Advanced Member
Change gearbox oil. Check engine mounts. Check bushes on shifter cables. Replace clutch.

I would say yours is likely the clutch. Try adjusting it and putting some fresh fluid through the resivoir.

Or just blip the revs before engaging gears ;)

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Does anybody find some times it gets a bit stuck in the space between neutral and reverse? Its kind of in neither and a bit stuck till you give it a wobble?

knobosaurus

One other thing it could be is your intake box (Mugen, gruppem, tegiwa, or even stock) is applying pressure to your shift linkages or nearby hardware hence making it difficult to move your stick.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gearbvox oil change first, and then the clutch. If you need to adjust it, just spend the money and get a new clutch, if its worn or wearing its not going to get better, and it would benifit you more in the long run.
Or you may even have to then look at synchro hub 1st and 2nd replacement if that doesnt sort it.

Hopefully not the last, that will dent you're wallet alright.

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Go for the clutch,

My DC5 had a hard time getting 3rd when I was on vtec and 4th and 5th were a bit crap too.

Turns out my clutch was pretty badly worn and once it was changed it was 100%

Also have a look at the how to adjust your clutch pedal, might ease it a little.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Does anybody find some times it gets a bit stuck in the space between neutral and reverse? Its kind of in neither and a bit stuck till you give it a wobble?
I get this. Sometimes you need to put it back in to neutral then let the clutch out then put the clutch in then try again! Not sure why?

Cam

Advanced Member
Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
I get this. Sometimes you need to put it back in to neutral then let the clutch out then put the clutch in then try again! Not sure why?
Same, and not just with the Teg. :)

Dan34

Advanced Member
Cam said:
Same, and not just with the Teg. :)
No cars really have a synchro for reverse so sometimes it's good to dip the clutch to align everything and it should go in better.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Getting it out of reverse... Does the pedal stay down but the car keeps moving backwards?

Riz

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
No cars really have a synchro for reverse so sometimes it's good to dip the clutch to align everything and it should go in better.
Have always wondered this, been the same for every car I've owned.

shibz_vtec

Advanced Member
I had this issue with my old ep3 and dc5.

Tried changing gearbox fluid etc but nothing works...at the end it's the clutch.