DIY for electric folding mirrors to open with unlock

beppe786

Beppe
anyone done this mod? would be great if they could open when you unlock car and fold once you lock..

PeteMTBer

I think it would be better on ignition start/stop rather than unlock/lock.

It would do my head in if I was just nipping out to the car to get something, or loading the car up.

G Man

Advanced Member
PeteMTBer said:
I think it would be better on ignition start/stop rather than unlock/lock.

It would do my head in if I was just nipping out to the car to get something, or loading the car up.
Fair point.

Yes, doing either shouldn't be too difficult.

micchung

Advanced Member
i have this done when i got my toad alarm fitted, i have total closure windows, folding wing mirrors, and head light illumination, upon arming the alarm, - wing mirrors fold back when i start the car

yosin

Advanced Member
micchung said:
i have this done when i got my toad alarm fitted, i have total closure windows, folding wing mirrors, and head light illumination, upon arming the alarm, - wing mirrors fold back when i start the car
Is there extras you'll need to purchase for these?

micchung

Advanced Member
I have had several cars fitted Toad alarms from barry at safensound , cant fault his worktop bloke ;)

he travels nationwide, i'm currently trying to get him to do another car for me, hopefully he can book me in soon... let him know mic chung sent you

his costs:

Alarm ai606 - £210
Total Closure - £40
Headlight illum - £10
Folding mirrors - £10

more details on the DC2 forum:

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44026

07985144166 or 0800 955 0900 If after 6pm or

SAFENSOUNDUK@YMAIL.COM

scottj15

Advanced Member
micchung said:
How long have you been running this setup mate? I looked into doing this a couple of months ago but was generally put off by some comments of the mirrors motors burning out after 6-12 months due to being overused everyday.

It's also worth considering the winter weather. You might have some troubles if their completely iced over folded in.

micchung

Advanced Member
had it on my old dc5 for a couple of years

have it on my current dc5 and jazz since september

yosin

Advanced Member
thanks mic chung,

i already have the toad ai606. Just wondering if its just a programming jobby or special relays required?

Rom

Advanced Member
Sorry to bump an old thread.

But yes, the Toad Ai606 can do this, i did it on my EF8. Didnt need relays, just diodes.

Find yourself a Toad diagram, it has multiple outputs positive and negative. All of which can be used to run little gadgets like this.

The mirrors are already run through a relay, your just adding an extra feed to the one the switch would normally give the relay to make the fold.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
You should wire it them to fold in when locked and fold out when the key is in the ignition..... Stops te motors burning out every time you just unlock the car to get something etc.

I've had it done and I must say it's awesome!