DIY *Installing buddyclub shortshifter*

mossyhennebry

Advanced Member
Okay – there does not seem to be a guide for this already. Here you go. By the time you have this read – you would probably have fitted one. Fitting only takes an hour. The following guide is in detail. I tried taking photos with my camera phone, but it was dark and they didn‘t come out great.

Tools required - hammer, flat head screwdriver, long nose pliers, socket set and ratchet, spanner, brute force, elbow grease, one beer.

1.) Remove the gearknob. This might require the spanner.

2.) The plastic surround from the centre of the car needs to be removed.

Firstly pop up the small rectangular shaped 'cap' in front of the handbrake which is on the driver's side.

Secondly, the cover around the cigarette lighter needs to be removed to gain access to two screws behind it. This is clipped into place, and so for removal there is no special technique required, just 'pop' it off. I pulled downwards on mine and it worked fine. When this pops off, the cigarette lighter itself needs to be unplugged. Its a bit tight behind there, but get the fingers in and unplug the connection. Very simple. Reminds me of a headlight connection on previous cars.

Now we need to remove the main body of this plastic surround. There are two screws towards the back section of the unit (roll both seats to the most forward position and incline them forwards. These two screws are philips head and can be removed quite easily from outside the car, leaning in, when the seat is forward. I just placed the screws on the rear mats when I took them out so that i knew which screw went in which hole afterwards.

There are two smaller philips head screws about halfway up this unit, one left and one right. These need to be taken out also.
The plastic surround can now be removed. There are clips holding the sides of the surround in the footwells, these just need to be popped to release them. Then lift the rear of the unit up. This movement causes friction at the front, where the cigarette lighter was. It gets to a stage where you think you might crack something, but continue to lever it up from the rear. The front will pop off (providing of course that you have removed the two screws and released the two clips as explained previously). Carefully take the plastic surround over the gear lever and the handbrake and carefully remove it from the car.

Okay, that‘s the easy bit over. Don‘t have that beer just yet…

3.) releasing the cables.
You should be able to see two cables about 18mm diameter which connect the gearlever to the gearbox. They both travel parallel to the car, from under the cigarette lighter unit and into the oem shifter unit. There is one on the passenger side of the car and one on the drivers side. I started with the passenger side. Both cables are held in position by a split-pin. Use the long-nose pliers to take out the split-pin and this will free the end of the cable. Be careful not to damage the pin when freeing it up as you will need to re-use this on the shortshifter unit. Now, the cable can be released from the oem unit– this just requires brute force. Pull it directly out, holding it tightly. The other cable has the same split-pin which again needs to be re-used later, so don‘t damage it or throw it away. This cable is connected with a brass plate which seems to be folded over the top of the oem unit. Use the flathead screwdriver under this brass plate to lever it up. It‘s only held there with friction and should move freely enough once started. Move it vertically upwards and then free the cable. Obviously this brass plate will be re-used on the new shifter unit.

4.) removing the oem unit.
It is held in place with 4bolts. Use the socket ratchet to screw out these 4 bolts. The front two are fine, the rear two are a little tight for space – I didn‘t remove the recaro‘s, just get stuck in. maybe the spanner might be better than the socket? Keep the four bolts to one side, lift out the unit. There are a group of wires running along the centre of the car which are clipped into this unit. I presume they are for the speakers and rear lights etc. Take care to unclip them from the oem shifter unit without snipping one of the wires.

5.) Installing the shortshifter.
There are 4 aluminium two-piece thingy‘s (not sure what to call them) supplied in the box. Each one has two parts, one goes on top and the other goes on the bottom. There is a male and a female, make sure you position them first to make sure you have them the right way. What I did next was to position the shortshifter and then lifted it slightly to allow me to slide the aluminium thingy‘s underneath it. Next I positioned the other half of the aluminium thingy‘s into the male/female sleeve so that they fitted flush with the edge of the shortshifter unit. Line up the holes with the bolts and screw her in!

6.) Re-fitting the cables.
Pretty straightforward. The one on the passenger side that was removed using brute force – just needs a tap of a hammer or a mallet to put it in position on the new shortshifter. The other cable can be positioned easily and then the brass plate has to be tapped home with a hammer/mallet to secure the cable in place. Re-do the ends of the cables in position using the split-pins which you didn‘t throw away earlier!

7.) Check gear selection.
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the plastic surround, check that you can select each gear properly with the new shortshifter. Then replace the plastic surround, clip it in at the front, screw it in at the back, etc.
8.) replace the cigarette lighter (remember to plug it in at the back). Replace the gearknob and tightening nut. Replace the little plastic cap beside the handbrake.
9.)Take the car for a spin to experience how such a simple mod transforms the driving experience of the car.
10)Have that beer.

dave kil

Advanced Member
Great guide!
Fitted with very little grief.
The passenger side cable was a bit stubborn coming out of the OEM shifter but that was it

=D>

dave kil

Advanced Member
but of course!
shifting is alot 'tighter' and more refined now, makes a huge difference to the north/south throw of the lever

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Just did this also. nice write up. Its true it is an easy job in the end. Just one small tinhg to add. When i installed the plastic surround i noticed the leather gear stick surrounding was not being held up it kept falling down. Before installing the center console check the oem shifter stick you will see a notch 6cm down (i think) you have to make this notch on the BC shifter. I got 2 pieces of wire and taped them on to each side of the shifter stick, this did the job and now the leather dose not fall down any more. It feels great shifting now. I do it when i dont even need to.

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
Was thinking about buying one of these myself does anyone have any before and after video's? so i can see/hear how much quicker the gearshifts are?

LeeH

Advanced Member
You would never notice on a video.

They throw is noticeably shorter both ways that all you need to know really

Mines 3 years/15k old now and no issues with it as yet.

mikegsi

Staff member
be a good idea to sticky this, so that people can quickly access how to take it all apart again once it snaps.......

TypeRDan

Advanced Member
So my buddyclub shortshifter turned up today and following this guide i got it fitted in approx 45 mins, great guide i have to say. After a drive gears feel a lot tighter and the changes are much quicker, feels great. are there any different settings as i seem to remember talking to someone saying there is?

Stoo

Whining.....
Mines 3 years/15k old now and no issues with it as yet.
Ditto to this
I have had 3 of these with no issues at all.
Fantastic piece of kit.

Nigh on all items have a bad few examples, no matter what it may be. From shifters to exhausts etc. so please don;t base your purchase decision on the odd few that have had poor results.
They are a good bit of kit IMHO

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
I will 2nd that Stoo have mine just over a year with no issues at all

Great mod to buy it really does make a big difference in gear changes

Thats actually mine in one of them boxes in the picture mossyhennebry got a group buy off paul for them

LeeH

Advanced Member
Geometry and short shifter. The first 2 mods that should be done IMO.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I found there was relatively little difference to be honest, the money could be better spent elsewhere to improve performance. It will take more than a year to wear, give it 20-30k miles and you'll start to find one or more gears hard to select. That's the sign that it's wearing and if you take the surround off, you'll probably see little bits of worn plastic. I don't think it's a "few bad examples", from looking at it and seeing the others who've had trouble on here, it's an inherent design flaw. I've gone back to standard and I don't miss the short shifter one bit.

firthy22

Advanced Member
I found there was relatively little difference to be honest, the money could be better spent elsewhere to improve performance. It will take more than a year to wear, give it 20-30k miles and you'll start to find one or more gears hard to select. That's the sign that it's wearing and if you take the surround off, you'll probably see little bits of worn plastic. I don't think it's a "few bad examples", from looking at it and seeing the others who've had trouble on here, it's an inherent design flaw. I've gone back to standard and I don't miss the short shifter one bit.
Seems like Tegiwa is a better option then as it does the same thing and retains the oem shifter.