Do I have a k100

Thethorne

Hi all. When I bought my dc5 it came with a Dyno sheet and was told it had a k100. However the Dyno sheet was from about 2012. How can I tell if I still have a k100 or if it has been removed. Vtec engages at about 5600rpm so that hasn‘t been changed. Is there any other way I can tell. Thanks

Mebz

Advanced Member
You could have a look inside the ecu.

It's in the passenger footwell. Just a few screws to remove

wocka

Advanced Member
As mebz said, best way it just to open the ecu cover and look

Otherwise maybe someone with good hondata knowledge can help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bennn

Advanced Member
Thethorne said:
Hi all. When I bought my dc5 it came with a Dyno sheet and was told it had a k100. However the Dyno sheet was from about 2012. How can I tell if I still have a k100 or if it has been removed. Vtec engages at about 5600rpm so that hasn‘t been changed. Is there any other way I can tell. Thanks
5600 seems low. I'm sure mine doesn't kick in till after 6k.

Maybe it has been changed?

wocka

Advanced Member
bennn said:
5600 seems low. I'm sure mine doesn't kick in till after 6k.

Maybe it has been changed?
Good point there, I don‘t know what the vtec rpm is exactly but I think your right, it‘s more like 6k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thethorne

Thanks for the replies. To have a look inside the ecu what exactly am I looking for and do I have to disconnect the ecu or is there just a cover I can take off. Thanks again

MikeH89

Thethorne said:
Thanks for the replies. To have a look inside the ecu what exactly am I looking for and do I have to disconnect the ecu or is there just a cover I can take off. Thanks again
It certainly has a lower VTEC engagement as said previously.

I don't know how much you know about the K100 but it's essentially a programmable EPROM that is installed into the ECU. If the changeover on VTEC is lower than factory which it is, I would suggest it's likely still in there, I don't know that there is any real resale in them so I don't imagine someone removed it, and if they did it's extremely unlikely they removed just the EPROM so they would have changed the ECU completely.

You would have to unplug the ECU from the car and remove the casing of the ECU to expose the mainboard etc.

Have a look at the photo's on here: https://www.tegiwaimports.com/hondata-k100-including-ecu-for-civic-type-r-ep3-k-series-1.html

It's the blue piece of circuit board that you would be looking for.

Mebz

Advanced Member
bennn said:
Mines knackered in that case then!
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure crossover is at 5800k.

What's yours at?

Maybe you have a k100 as well..... remember the crossover is set at when the higher cam profile starts to make more power than the lower cam profile.

It's not necessarily, lower crossover, more powerz....

bennn

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure crossover is at 5800k.

What's yours at?

Maybe you have a k100 as well..... remember the crossover is set at when the higher cam profile starts to make more power than the lower cam profile.

It's not necessarily, lower crossover, more powerz....
Mine is somewhere after 6k. I dont think it has. It did but not anymore

EDIT Wiki reckons standard engagement is 6200rpm on the K20a which is pretty much where mine is.

It was 5800 rpm on my old EP3.

Mebz

Advanced Member
bennn said:

EDIT Wiki reckons standard engagement is 6200rpm on the K20a which is pretty much where mine is.

Everyday is a school day.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Everyday proba

is a school day.
probably just a case of slightly inaccurate rev gauge

carl hammond

Advanced Member
The only way to tell is to look as the K100 and KPro Vtec will differ in each car as it will depend on the modifications and engine condition as to when it engages as it sets itself to the optimum entry point for that car and its setup (so Romain told me).

Mine when I bought it had a K100 and enough on it and the vtec was kicking in at 5800rpm. I have since made a number of changes to the setup and it's now mapped itself to 4800rpm.

Open it up and have a look and you will know mate