Do I Make A Return ??

Adam-f

Advanced Member
Hi guys! it's been a while!

So after selling my DC5 about a year ago I'm really starting to miss it now! :(

I currently have a Facelift MK2 Focus ST running around the 310bhp mark but it has nothing on the DC5 so I'm debating on selling up and getting myself another DC5, I'm just torn between either getting another DC5 or getting a FD2,

What are peoples thoughts ?

How many of you have left and came back ? I have seen some people on here leaving and returning several times lol

:)

DC5RS

DC5
Lot of people came back for sure, and those who left still believe that the DC5 is very difficulty replaced.

As for the FD2 or DC5 people who moved to an FD2 believe that the FD2 is a better all around car than the DC5 in different aspects like handling/engine/practicality of 4 doors etc.

I don't really like the look of the FD2 over the DC5 but if I was to sell the DC5 for a more family oriented car which is a hot topic in the forum these days I would get the FD2 if I had the money.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Get rid of the ST for a K20a Honda....Do you really need to ask? haha.

Come back mate, just do it.

I'd say you've done the DC5 thing, so grab a FD2 you'll either love it or hate it and at that point you'll know if you're meant to come back to a DC5 or not.

dave c

400hp K20
FD2R's seem to be getting quite common on here, reports all seem to be very positive so if you have the money too and can get away with the uglyness then it would seem like a sensible upgrade stock car for stock car.

Personally if i was you I would get another DC5, far better value for money, much better looking car and a bigger boot.

Plus if you wanted more performance to match the new FD2 then you could do some mods and still have some change left over to treat the wife.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
I think i'll sell the ST in the new year and start looking for another DC5 or FD2

Funny enough I bumped into a mate from local who also used to own a DC5 and he now has a FD2, he's going to take me out in the FD on the weekend so I can see what its like,

He said the FD is a much more grown up car to the DC5 and handles and preforms just as well even though its much bigger, I'm looking forward to having a good look around one and also see what they preform like,

Only downfall is they are still pretty expensive compared to a DC5 and its hard to find a very clean example unless you want to pay close to 20K

The Mighty Clam

I had a DC5 about 6 years ago, had a lot of good cars in between but I always seem to gravitate back to the Type R's, and picked up my latest DC5 about 3/4 months ago. (But might be switching to an FD2 due to recent baby happenings...but that's another thread!) I think it all comes back to driver involvement, just to give a few examples of cars I've owned yet still come back to the Tegs - RX7, Supra, Impreza P1 (running 410bhp), 200sx, 205Gti, Renault 5 Turbo Raider, MR2 Turbo, Clio 182, Megane 250, Skyline GT-S.

And yet, the force is strong with the Integra, the fact you have to drive it, the satisfaction of a perfectly timed heel & toe downshift, the balance through the corners, the fact it feels like you and only you are making it do your bidding rather than electronic cleverness and the fact it is seemingly, along with the FD2 the last of a dying, if not extinct breed of car.

Teggs

RX7, Supra, Impreza P1 (running 410bhp), 200sx, 205Gti, Renault 5 Turbo Raider, MR2 Turbo, Clio 182, Megane 250, Skyline GT-S.
Sounds like my dream list of cars never owned/ 100k Garage, reassured that after all this metal the teg still has a strong pull, would still bloody love to have an RX7 as a weekend toy though

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi mate,

What made you come back then, is the ST not a decent car no? I wouldn't have thought they're be much in them not in terms of speed I mean but as a similar type of car.

Regarding the FD2, I personally love the look of them. Not sure where people get the whole 'ugliness' thing from, they're far from ugly in fact I'd say they're more aggressive looking than a DC5, perhaps not as pretty but that front end is to die for.

The Mighty Clam - crazy what cars you've had yet you come back to Integra's and Hondas even after having all that power and that is really interesting to hear. Goes to show that big power isn't everything at the end of the day as a lot of the cars you've had are certainly more powerful than a DC5 Integra.

After seeing Luke's SC Teg the other week it's got me pining for a FI DC5, would love to do it to mine but finances are a big no no. Bet they're amazing when they're boosted or when they're big powered NA for that matter.

Stuarty

Advanced Member
I'll be back in one as soon as I find the right one. I messaged the guy who I sold my old teg to last night to see if he would sell it back... he was having none of it ha!! Should have never of sold it :(

The DC5 just seems to tick all the right boxes for me and even after all these years its still a stunning looking car. Theres people on here forever coming back and forth, basically tells you all you need to know about them tbh. Great cars.

p1tse

Advanced Member
That's a smart list
In summary how did you find living with rx7, p1 scooby; as these are cars I've always liked but can't see me owning as both are higher maintenance to a dc5 and probably more expensive as a daily

Chelt_scene

Advanced Member
2 lads from work have st2's one running few mods which power wise is very similar to the dc5 just more comfy I suppose. The other is a 414hp monster which I absolutly love! But for me honda boy at heart mate 👍

You've had a dc5 so go fd2 if you can afford one 👍 I've heard they are very stiff ride and not comfy at all which may put you off from going from an st that's comfy with its leather interior back into a bumpy clothe clad seat? 😂

p1tse

Advanced Member
A friend had a mountune st3 with the basic bolt ons and remap

I was shocked how powerful it felt
But it did go through clutches!

A car I use to own and look at from time to time is a gold r32. Yes they are lardy, but the exhaust note from v6 is lovely

The Mighty Clam

Patch_teg said:
That's a smart list
In summary how did you find living with rx7, p1 scooby; as these are cars I've always liked but can't see me owning as both are higher maintenance to a dc5 and probably more expensive as a daily
The RX-7 was a car I had lusted after as a boy and I vowed I would get one one day. I'm glad I did, however I felt I was sitting on a ticking timebomb despite it having had a recent rebuild. I could never shake the feeling of hankering to get rid of it before something expensive needed doing.

Mine was running about 340bhp, still on sequential twin turbos, but the power delivery is incredibly smooth and linear - no big shove in the back like a turbo, or bonkers 'blimey I've just turned into a touring car' of a Type R VTEC.

I had two Impreza P1's, one highly modified running 400bhp, one completely standard. After a month the tuned one was a complete pain, especially with a blitz nur-spec decat exhaust and paddle clutch, in traffic uphill. I would have a standard one again though, very characterful, unique and still amazing performance, marvellous in the wet! Quite dated interior though and heavy on fuel, but it's worth it.

Adam-f

Advanced Member
I do like the ST, it does sound awesome and is a practical and fast car but I can't help but miss the DC5

As The Mighty Clam said its all about the satisfaction of driving the DC5, you do feel really connected with it, its nice and roar with no modern electronic steering crap lol

The ST does go really well, I bought it standard and now its running all Stage 2 bolt ons, Its around the 310bhp mark and I just had a new RS clutch fitted so it holds the power nicely just still has nothing on the DC5 so I think in the new year I'll be selling up and getting myself either a FD2 or another DC5, I think if I can push the boat out I'll get a FD but otherwise I wouldn't mind a FL DC5 this time,

I personally think the FD2 is a lovely looking car, I know there not everyone's taste but I've always liked the look of them and there suppose to perform just as well as the DC5

p1tse

Advanced Member
There are a few lovely facelift for sale now, which you don't get to see in the classifieds often

p1tse

Advanced Member
Rx7 sounds like me when I had the 4.2v8 s4, with the ticking time bomb of the cam chain going lol

You've done the big power, mods, and the dc5 with a few bolt on is perfectly fine as a daily. I'm at the age where I appreciate unmolested and clean jdm's of that era. My wish list is r33 gtr (r32 is lovely, but like the bit more modern curve of r33 and r34 is out of reach). Have you thought about one of these?

nersha

The fact that you asked this question on the ITR-DC5 forums gives you the answer... I'm sure if you asked the same on the ST forums they'd say stick with Ford?

swanny1982

Advanced Member
just sold a focus st 225 which I bought to sell on, what a pile of crap that car is, felt like plastic, everything rattles, looks basic inside, seats looked cheap, was like driving around in a plastic tank!

Defo go back to the DC5!!